New Pontoon Boat... Now what?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by chadk, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    I don't have a pontoon but I have a Watermeister and the same things apply.
    In addition to a good PFD, I'd consider a rod holder and spare oar mandatory.
    Stripping apron might not be feasible on a pontoon(?) but it's sure nice on the WM.

2. Bob Bartlett

Bob Bartlett New Member

I've had 8 ft Fish Cat for 7 or 8 years, with majority of use on rivers like Yakima. Do get the brass oarlocks AND Oarrights--they make orienting oars automatic. You're getting an anchor mount, and should consider a small pyramid anchor--10 pounds max. I very much agree you don't want to anchor in current, but I've found the 10 lb pyramid secure to anchor in very mild current just outside or above a drift, etc.--something I couldn't do with lighter weight anchor. You're getting side bags which work great for tackle, x-tra clothes, but you may want to consider Outcast's seat-back "saddle bag" too. I have serious envy fishing with a friend so equipped. It keeps lunch, water, etc. out of the way of the side bags, and seems to work very well. You'll also want a hand pump to go with repair kit. When/if you have leak while on the river, you need pump with you to inflate after repair! All this stuff is available on-line, but a lot of it is also at Outdoor emporium by Safeco field in Seattle, or Swiftwater out in Shoreline. Good Luck!!

3. J Nordwell

J Nordwell New Member

good cheap anchor. Beer can with the top cut off and filled with lead works great, I would try to make as much as you can yourself you will enjoy it better. Go out a couple of times and see what would work better for you. Its all a game of inches, in a small boat. Have fun

4. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

I noticed a lot of the Canadians had small fish finders on thier pontoons, with built in thermometer.

5. Omar Quiroga

Omar Quiroga Member

What I found to be really helpfull on my toon is the rod holders. The next would be the saddle bags on them. It allows you to keep most of your stuff close by instead of behind you on the platform. Anyways good luck with the toons and maybe we'll have to get out and do some lake fishing.
    Omar

6. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    buy a swivil for the seat. you will be glad you did. With a lock for river fishing!.

7. djzaro

djzaro New Member

I have that boat, great buy!! You said something about the salt, make sure you rinse it good when you are done. When you are ready to put it up for the off season, take it apart and sand the rust, then paint the areas with non rust paint. This boat will last a life time if you take care of it. Oh.... and no replies about the rust, no matter what brand you have you will get rust on the frame at some point, always on the connections.

8. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

beer holder :rofl:

9. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

Wow... I haven't seen anybody mention this, so I'll say it...

NICE FINS!

If I had a choice I'd rather use my fins then my oars for lake fishing... Cast and move, cast and move...

Scott

10. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Good point. I have some cheapo step in kind for my float tube. That will have to do for now. But I'll upgrade later.

11. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

End of the season? What does that mean? :confused: There is no end to the season as far as I'm concerned:cool:

But good point about rinsing and watching for rust. I have my black rustoleum (sp) ready to go :)

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Is there a certain kind I need to get for pontoons?

13. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Chadk, since you do quite a bit of still water, I'd suggest a couple of small anchors. I've seen some spiffy dual anchor setups, but don't remember the brand. One guy I did see had a couple of Scotty pocket pullers strapped to the tubes on diagonal sides and had two small 8lb anchors... Indespensible for chronie fishing! :)

-- Cheers
    -- James

14. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

I just picked up 2 10lb pyramid anchors (one for each boat).

For still water, I was planning to use the anchor(s) I used in my aluminum boat as secondary anchors- one is a 10lb mushroom, the other is a 20lb swivel type - overkill, but better than nothing.

15. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

What sort of rod holders?

I figure for still water, I'll want one for use when trolling (if I'm not using my fins). I think I like the one made by Outcast\Fish Cat that fits onto the frame as opposed to strapping around the pontoon.

But I'll also need something to hold the rods while heading down the river. I have a hard case that fits my rod in 2 peices including the reel. That will keep one safe. But I'll have more than one rod, so I'll need another plan for that (those)...