Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

new rod builder

Rod Building 
679 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jpfish 
#1 ·
Hi. My name is joel. Been on this site for a while but never looked in the rod building section. Im looking to get into building a couple rods this fall/winter. Need some info on what tools are a must have, good sites to buy blanks, guides, reel seats and all that good stuff. Just any of the basic things I need to get started building rods. Also if anyone has a good dvd or somewhere to take a class around seattle to teach me some basics of rod building that would be awesome.
Thank you

#2 ·
Lots of good youtube videos. I've built about 20 rods on upper end blanks to lower end ones. One of my favorite rods is a Batson blank. Inexepensive and I love how it casts. You can get them in kits which has everything you need to build it. I have a hand wrapper and rod dryer. Unless you plan on building more than one, you really dont need a dryer motor. Good luck and post your rod when its done

#5 ·
If you live in WA it would be worth your while to take a trip out to this place and talk to these guys... super cool, and they can set you up so you won't break the bank on your first rod...It's the route I took, that YouTube and rodbuilding forum, and practice, practice, and more practice.. They can also set you up with spare rod sections to practice on... http://www.utmostenterprises.com/utmost_001.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.