new rod for winter work

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Creatch'r, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    I've been throwing the 13'6" 7wt Scott t2h and really like it. Very similar action to the DC but with a little more snap, and obviously better fit and finish. I would also take a really good look at the z-axis 12'9" 8wt. Used to have one of those, definitely as good a winter rod as there is.

2. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

you should send your rod to Bob and ask him to replace the corks with good ones!

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Maybe a CND North Fork would suit you. Understated class in the looks department, and a heaver of tips and half chickens if throwing those lights up your day. Another possibility might be the Buleah 12' 7" 7/8, which I think is more of an 8 than a 7. I've had it over a year, but haven't fished it but twice and haven't decided what line I like on it, but it surely needs more than the 450 Skagit I use on my mainstay CND Solstice.

Sg

4. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

If you're interested in a GLX Dredger 8/9 give me a holler. It's built for skagit heads with tips and big flies. Unbelievably light in hand for being 13'9", and very relaxing to fish. I know your after a 12'6", but I've never felt like the length was hindrance, even on my smaller rivers. I'm thinking of moving it because I find myself using skagit heads less and less,......and I got in my head I need a Burkie 7141-4, so something has to go. Best cork of any rod I have.

5. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

As others have shared, you could get a Meiser with whatever fixins' you like on it. Kinda sounds like you've found an action you dig on so there's no need to change that unless you really want to.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Echo TR.

7. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

If you can find a Loop 8124Y jump on it. I fish this with a 540 Compact Skagit and tips up 200 grains and it is a cannon. At 12'6" with a Salmon 1 this rod easy to fish and cast all day.

I also fish the DC 7/8, with a 510 compact skagit and tips up to 200 grains. At 13' with the Salmon 2 or 1 this rod is also a pleasure to fish all day.

The DC IMHO seems to be a little softer in the butt. Does not make much of a differance when casting but you will notice the differance when fighting a fish.

Both are sweet rods!

8. JS

JS Active Member

Agreed, sweet rods for the price. I also like my Decho 9136, that thing will turn over some heavy tips and damn big flies. My 7136 Z-Axis is still my go to twig, even for winter fish. I'll have that Decho out on the coast this winter if you want to toss it Sean.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Pretty freaking simple there. Far less money out of your wallet for your rod...more for the family!

10. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Or more money for more gear! ;)

My winter stick has been the Zaxis 8129. Since they will be discontinued it seems you can always find one used these days. The stick is a canon and you can throw some big stuff in tight quarters. I also have been pining over the tcx 8119, but haven't casted one yet. I've played around with the 6119 and loved it. If the 8119 is a fair bit stiffer it should be a fun winter stick, but it's pricey and not too many used yet...lots of good suggestions here!

11. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

Sean: Know xactly what you mean by short lines w/mass-bout 3 yrs ago I took a 750 rio skag head n cut it to 18ft-570 grns. Put a 5ft cheater on er and WOW! Been throwing that on a cpx13ft 3in 8wt for 3 yrs now.

Winter rod answer--SCOTT T2H1258/4 and a rio 625skagit short head @ 20ft. Bout the same stroke as a switch rod with oodles of power for big tips n bigger uglies..
    Thats a true lifetimer that is a dedicated winter rod, casts big w/out backcast or limited overhead room.

12. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

Anyone have that Scott T2H??? I'd love to cast it as well as the 8129 z been recommended those both a few times.

13. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Skagitmiester

Home Page:
    I've heard great things about that Z but I've also heard she's on the fast side.

14. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Home Page:
    Michael down at Pacific Fly Fishers should. They also make a 12'6" 8wt that I'm going to go throw around sometime this week because I want to get one of those, I'll let you know what I think.

15. Creatch'r

Creatch'r Heavies...

I forgot mike carries those ill call him and see if he has one in stock. I think Joe E has one actually I'm gonna hit him up