New Sage Rod series: The One

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dan Nelson, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

iagree
    It's the "handmade rod sock" that's tugging on my heart, er, wallet.

2. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

I've been a skier for most of my life and have concluded that "The One" comes out about every two years and maybe every three for fly rods. Not saying that "The One" of whatever it is isn't better, sometimes significantly better, but more often than not, is just new graphics on the same or a very similar product.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I have a boat. Just sayin'. I love every one of my fly rods. There are some with letters like Z, TXL and GLX and others with names. I don't have the ONE. I'm intrigued by the ONE. Eventually I'll try the ONE. For now I'm just thinking about fishing my 4wt Lew C. Parks bamboo and 4wt Lamiglas Honey Glass on the family trip to Yellowstone. This trip could be the ONE.

4. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

I'm on a pretty tight budget these days. Perhaps I can get the new starter outfit...ONE/HALF. :)

Obviously they spent so much on research they couldn't afford a think-tank to come up with a catchy name...

"Hey dude! Is that THE ONE?"
    "No man, it's the other one."
    "You mean that is the other one and THE ONE is over there?"
    "Well, now I'm not sure. I have two of them. Which one were you referring to?"
    "You have two? Fuck! I think that's illegal!"

This whole thing is starting to bring on(e) the gag reflex...

5. PT

PT Physhicist

I'm with Mumbles. I already own The One. Their initialls are LL, GLX, IMX, RPL, GL3, XP, SP, etc. All purchased used from somebody else who needed to upgrade to The One. In 10 years from now I'll probably add The One to that list.

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Just had to quote that one Big D. The planets must be aligned today!

7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I got a custom sage12' two piece speyrod built by a dude that lives in the skagit valley, I've always thought it was the one, so much for thinkin!!!!

8. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Buy the newest and pay the most.

PT's list of rod models is the only
    graphite I need. Now what I want is a
    different story but can you
    really improve an IMX or RPL?

Wish I had One

9. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

It's kind of like smart phones...I'm always a bit behind. But since we live in this economy which only moves forward if people buy the next 'one', then I'm hoping there are a few out there that pick this 'one' up. Then I can buy their old gear for cheap. :)

10. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

That's not a bad way to go. Pretty much all my technology -- cars, cameras, computers -- are one generation removed from the latest thing. I'm rarely on the cutting edge, but I do believe that technology does advance and that newer is, more often than not, better. Technology that's more than a couple of generations old is generally pretty dated.

There are exceptions and a rod that was good 15 years ago is still good today. But as much as I like my RPL+ and the way it casts, it ain't a Z-Axis. And I imagine that the XP will start to look a little big and stiff compared with a ONE. Does that mean the RPL and the XP are lousy rods? Hell no. Does it mean you won't be able to catch fish with them any more? Hell no, again. But if you argue that the new ones are no better than the old ones -- nothing more than a new name and paint job -- I'd have to disagree.

While I'm mainly a Loomis guy, I own an RPL and I own an XP. Now that it's discontinued, there might be a Z-Axis in my future.

11. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

oooooo.... ahhhhh... Black Ice. I think that was the color of Spinal Tap's album.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

the "One"
    I think I catch more fish with the other one.

13. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Didn't they screw themselves for the next model? What comes after the "One"? "The Next One"? "The Other One"? "No Seriously, This is the One"? "For Real....This is the One"!

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I'm sure it'll be an awesome rod. Sage has consistently made great rods and improved their line over the years. I enjoy the zaxis and the sp the most - two totally different actions. I think it's a great company, and a local one to boot. I couldn't believe how small the office was when I dropped off a rod for service last month.

I say - three cheers to them for developing a new rod. Hopefully it's even nicer than their already gorgeous rods. I probably won't be buying a brand new one - but in two years, I'll scrounge one up off the classifieds if it lives up to its' claims.

15. shawn k

shawn k Member

Now they have a cool name for the marketing department. I can just see the print adds now. " The One rod to rule them all" Look how many "Death Star " rods they have sold. I see them for sale on E-bay and spey pages because people that are gear whores that wont spend the money to learn how to fish the rods they currently have. They buy a rod fish it a couple of times and realize it isnt for me
    when all they need is a casting clinic or to hire a guide for a day.