new to the fly and need stillwater suggestions

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by TROUTsniffer, Apr 30, 2012.

1. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Not to hijack the thread, but have you used the indicator in the link, Troutpocket? It looks interesting. A bit pricy with the shipping and all, but looks like a good set up, especially for longer leaders.

3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I have used them(or ones just like them), they work well but once and a while will put a kink in the leader, which is probably my fault for using too light of tippet when running out 12' or more? I am pretty sure I picked them up at pacific fly fishers in mill creek, they come in red and yellow make sure to get a couple of each, the yellow are really hard to see on the water in certain light conditions.

4. troutpocket

I think the fly shop that doesn't carry this style of indicator is now the exception. Shipping costs shouldn't be a issue. These are the only style of indicator I use in stillwater anymore.

5. Olive bugger

Thanks for the tip. I have been planning a trip to pick up some feathers so I will pick up a few.

6. jwg

jwg Active Member

These slip indicators are a must for still water when you need to hang chironomids deep.

I have tried just about every indicator type and for still water this is what I use, whether I need the slip feature or not...

...unless I am putting a nymph just under the surface, or an emerger, or a hard to see small dry, in which case I use a small Pimp indicator or just some yarn for a light presentation.

I got my slip indicators mail order from "Blue" on this forum, http://utahflygoddess.yolasite.com/

7. TROUTsniffer

TROUTsniffer Member

thanks, i'll have to give that a shot when i get out this weekend...and search this site some more apparently :)

8. TROUTsniffer

TROUTsniffer Member

i was also wondering if anyone has used or recommends the rio versitip at all or is it just kind of a gimmick? i thought for $150 covering all your line bases as far as wet line goes would be worth it ...

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I'd suggest going to the content section of the site. Find all the articles written by WFF member Ford_Fenders. Save them, print them, read them, study them, then get on a lake and use his tactics and you will be BLOWN AWAY at how you can get some lakes dialed in.

10. troutpocket

Not a gimmick but also not your best option for stillwater. The problem is the loop-to-loop connection between the floating section and sink tip that hangs up in your guides. It's a great setup for swinging in rivers, though. If you're looking at buying another sinking line for lakes, a type V or VI full sink would be a nice contrast to your camolux. Your camolux will sink just a deep, it just takes longer to get down.

11. Olive bugger

I picked up a couple of them today. Will try them out as soon as I can get to the water. Thanks for the heads up. Now to figure out how to rig them.

12. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Not to hard to figure out, just have to remember to string it on before the flies :D

13. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

14. TROUTsniffer

TROUTsniffer Member

heads up pacific fly fishers has those bobbers for $1.00 if anyones close....

15. Olive bugger

They have four sizes and two configurations, round and oblong.
    Look forward to drowning a buzzer with one. Can't spell Chironomid.