new to the fly and need stillwater suggestions

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by TROUTsniffer, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

That is hard for me to remember. Fly goes on last. Hmmmmm.
    Should I use a dry fly with that?

I have to give a tip of the hat to the person that came up with this idea. Pretty darn slick. I have not tried them on the water as yet, but I figured out how they work, and all on my own. I feel like a jenius.

Maybe I am overthinking this thing, but I was concerned that if you mounted the wider part of the plug pin at the top of the bobber that the float would fall off the leader if the fish broke off. Then I remembered that the float will actually float. Not a real risk and at a buck a shot not a real show stopper.

Looking forward at a shot at trying this.

2. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

The black stopper will disappear in water if it slips off and will also sink quick. I painted mine orange so I could hopefully retrieve it with my net when my line breaks.

3. Olive bugger

Maybe some re-engineering is in order here. Make both parts out of a floating material, and make both parts the same color. They you could see them and they would float. See I told you I was a jenius.

4. Olive bugger

5. TROUTsniffer

TROUTsniffer Member

well i tried some indicator fishing today from the pontoon, lake was DEAD and only hooked up two bows (2 good ones though) on a woolybugger but i got to play with rigging/casting them so maybe next time i'll get some action...
    thanks for all the help

6. TROUTsniffer

TROUTsniffer Member

has anyone seen or know where to find ford_fenders stillwater write up? i tried searching it and couldn't find it anywhere.

7. Olive bugger

That is what it is all about.

8. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

What size(s) did you go with? Does anyone know if the Gig Harbor Fly Shop has any indicators like these?

9. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I bought slip indicators at the Gig Harbor shop last time I was there a month or two ago. I'd suggest going with a variety of sizes, and don't hesitate to get the larger ones, even if they seem too large. You'll appreciate having them on those choppy, heavy glare type days.

10. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Thanks Nick. I'll add it to my list. A PM is likely more appropriate so feel free to respond there, but any recommedations on a local(ish) lake with decent chironomid action where I could try out some tactics with a reasonable chance of catching something if I do it right?

11. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Hey there are many times I rig up, get both flies on there, drop it in the water and realize I never put the float on. Probably just because I got used to putting on a thingamabobber on whenever.

Since you have a pontoon and right in woodinville let me know if you get down to renton and we can sit around and stare at some bobbers.

KC

12. TROUTsniffer

TROUTsniffer Member

stare at bobbers LOL you make it seem so exciting...

13. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

man it is the most boring thing in the world, but there are some days where you gotta do what you gotta do to get a fish. Believe me if chucking streamers or casting dries to rising fish is working im all over it.

But there are some days where the only answer is a bobber and a zebra nymph.

14. TROUTsniffer

TROUTsniffer Member

i tried with the indicator again today because i'm determined to catch a fish that way since i've never done it before but no luck yet..

15. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Keep at it man! Keep reading as much as you can, ask questions, and most of all just keep spending that time on the water. I know for a fact there are more than a few skilled vertical presentation fishers around these parts who have been known to be bribed into time on the water with certain beverages and such.

It'll come, and in spite of the naysayers, you may discover it is one hell of a lot of fun to watch that bobber plunge.