Nextcast Fall Favorite 45

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by SpeySpaz, Aug 21, 2010.

1. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Good point....

Actually I looked up the line and compared it to the vector..the vector at 7/8 is 500 the 8/9 is 570

comparably the FF at 6/7 is 550 and the 5/6 is 500...hmmmm

I'm starting to find that for me at least these lines when close to or identical to what weight head skagit I use on um...work best...So would bet dollars to donuts that 5/6 FF could be really impressive...Kind of aggravating how these line weights are so off versus numbers...but now I'm really thinking hard on giving one or the other a shot to see..

SS your costing me more $$$ now...:)

2. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

most guys will find that they're most comfortable with a shorthead floater that weighs about the same as their preferred skagit;
    that being said, the rod and the caster will vary that widely. I tend to shift into a much more tophanded stroke when I'm casting a belly, which to me is anything more than 3.5 rod length, but I find that casting stroke more enjoyable--not necessary. I can underhand a longbelly, but for some reason I don't. My personal preference is to load the grains on and lengthen and slow the forward stroke. To each his own.
    I found right away that the Vector line ratings and FF line ratings are wholly different. Not that it matters; I line my rods by grains only and if a manufacturer doesn't advertise grains and length, I don't buy. I also like to buy rods that have a posted grain window, which tells you what will generally work best on the rod, especially the shorter ones.
    Poppy, at the RedShed in Peck, Idaho, can send trylines if you need to experiment. That's how I ended up with a FF70... which is a topic for another thread. The FF70 is a mindblower, paradigm-shifting, wader-tenting mid/longbelly....oooh ooh. Damn. Anybody got a towel?

Simon told me with the FFs that if you have, say, a long 7/8 rod with a good butt, go with the 7/8 line, but if you have a shorter 7/8 you might like a FF6/7 better. This is true with many lines, and I've experimented with a few of the FFs on my rod collection and find it to be true. Or if you like finessing the cast, go with the lighter one, and if you want to throw the long bomb, go with the heavier.

I'm deeply sorry about your wallet, bro. Believe me, the pain fades away fast. Usually in one billing cycle. Story of my life. I am such a line Ho.

3. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Agreed on the sting..stupid thing is I should know BETTER as well...always read the grain wt. Yeah I got a scale but when buying I should really have been looking a lot more closely...Dumb on me...I'm kind of the opposite on my casting...I've been trying for awhile to take out as much top hand as I can...trying to use body rotation and a small amount of shoulder in the cast...sometimes I get it sometimes I revert back...I can see how the line weight now effects that as I was commenting to my bud that when I try pure underhand the line won't really pop out there...needs some top hand fulcrum action...Interesting stuff SS...I'll give MJ a shout and see I can bum a couple try lines from him....

Thanks again for the info..

4. SpeySpaz

think of the top hand as a moving fulcrum;
    the longer the belly, the longer the fulcrum must move parallel to your desired direction of cast.
    With a scandi, hardly; with a skagit, kinda;
    with a shortbelly, oughta; with a longbelly, gotta.

This also applies to line weight. You can pop when casting from the top 2/3 of the blank. If top hand is required, the blank is asking for a lighter line or a longer stroke.

5. SpeySpaz

the FF45s have been put into rotation for trials, there's a thread going on Speypages.

I've been fooling around some more and cast the FF45 against a comparable weight Vector the other day. Both were good, but were a bit light for the rod I tried them on so I ended up "horking" quite a bit, especially in wind.
    Just goes to show you, the right line also has to be the right weight.

6. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher You're only so smart as what you choose to share.

Home Page:
    heres a diagram of a mic'd out fall favorite 45 6/7.

7. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Are you sure that's what that's supposed to be???
    Kinda looks like a diagram for "battleship profylactica" ...:thumb:

8. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Now that is some real geek stuff!!!!! He He!!!

9. SpeySpaz

line designers all over are taking notes and hitting the magnify--200% button though LOL

nice job K2- it explains how you get extended flight from a shorthead.

Speaking of extended flight- I just got my hands on the FF 45 8/9 and I'm dying to see what it will do once I strap it onto my 10/11 Stinger and use a genuine underhand stroke....Bhhhhhhrrrr!