NF Stilly slide

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Well, that area is prime spawning gravel for chum. Anything already up out of the gravel might have made it down river if it was below the slide. Anything upstream of the slide will depend on what happens with the blockage

2. stilly stalker

At least it's not a slide IN deer creek. Unfortunately, hazel /C-post and down to deer creek gets a lot of winter steelhead and chum spawning activity. Going to be bad news. The majority of the Stilly winter fish are already upriver. Slide doesn't look like it will affect the main spawning areas for summer chinook

3. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I'm more concerned about our friend Mike K. who lives up in that area. Hoping he posts something here, on Speypages or on Facebook to let us know he's okay. Anyone heard from him?

The river will change and the fish survive.. or they won't..

4. stilly stalker

Mike Kinney lives several miles downstream

5. stilly stalker

He lives below deer creek- the slide is a ways upriver of deer creek

6. flybill

Thanks Stilly! He's probably been told to evacuate, but okay.

7. stilly stalker

I have friends that live ON the river just down from the Oso firehouse were the river splits. I'm afraid the erosion losses they've been getting every year are going to seem like nothing in comparison to what happens when this slide gives

8. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

The slide is located roughly a mile downstream of the C Post Bridge on the north side of the rive.

The several miles of river immediately upstream of the slide site is the major spawning area for North Fork Stillaguamish Chinook and wild winter steelhead. At this time of year the majority of the wild steelhead would not yet migrated that far upstream.

I suggest that if folks want to talk about the fish side of this tragedy that we do so on another thread.

curt

9. flybill

Wasn't my intention to stop the questions on this thread. Sorry if it came off this way. Saw this from King 5 on Facebook a few minutes ago:

UPDATES from Snohomish County - 'we have a report of 18 people who are unaccounted for. Our #1 priority is responder safety. We have over 100 people here on the scene working this.'

Only time will tell what will happen up there for sure.

10. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Home Page:
    This is the most useful description I've seen of the history of the area. I knew I'd get better information here then "news" sources. Thx

flybill likes this.
  11. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

So this is a historical slide area, but people keep building homes there? It smacks of the mentality along the California coast. Mudslide takes house, rebuild, mudslide takes house, rebuild.....

12. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

I don't think anyone would have imagined a slide would make it that far south. It has blocked the river and pushed the stream bed closer to the neighborhood in previous events, but this is unbelievable. The entire valley has pretty much been filled in.

Andrew Lawrence likes this.
  13. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

I sat up looking at photos last night, trying to find different landmarks and houses to ID the boundaries of the slide. Most of the homes I looked for are gone or buried.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I remember looking at a lot for sale there when I finished college. I didn't know anything about the Hazel slide at that time, but my wife and I could see evidence from the 1975 flood on the lot and surrounding property, so we decided never to buy in a flood plain.

Thoughts go out to the victims and the unaccounted for - I hear there are still 18 people.

Sg

Ron McNeal likes this.
  15. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Life's good!

Has there been any copter coverage/video of the area? I have not been able to find any in my channel surfing; keep thinking this event just screams for at least one copter, hovering above, shooting the general slide/river/blockage area to give people a true picture of the scope of this thing........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.