NF Stilly slide

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cuponoodle breakfast, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I read it. As I said, nobody foreseen the tragedy that unfolded Saturday morning.

2. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

It's actually gotten harder for me to watch the coverage as well, now that I really know how much area, and how many people were affected. I found out today, a Facebook friend whose 13 yo relative is still missing... I fished up on the Stilly the first time I went out for steelhead a long time ago. Thoughts and prayers to those that lost their lives and for those who still remain.

3. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Clay, silt and sand like Curt said.

Josh, these are all glacier byproducts that once occupied the Puget Sound area. Removal of some of the forest canopy which help absorb water and re releases it into the atmosphere, add the unusually wet February and March so far this year, the extra moisture percolate's through the sand where it collects in a water table or follows the least path of resistance on top of a bed of clay. Add the continuous avulsion and erosion from a flooding body of water, and if the conditions are right the weight and pressure of the land/soil mixture destabilizes and the mass slumps like a thin mixture of concrete.

4. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

This is so sad. My heart and prayers go out to all the people and families affected by this disaster. Keep the faith and pray for miracles of survival. God bless.

5. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I copied this from another site. Ever since learning about this tragedy, I felt the need to do something more than just making a monetary donation to the Red Cross (which I did, and would encourage others to do).So after reading this, I purchased a couple bags of groceries and drove up to Arlington. I would encourage anyone who might have even the slightest interest in doing something like this to go for it. If you can't find anyone in front of the store who is accepting donations, the folks at the Food Pavillion will make sure it gets to where it needs to go.
    "With the growing need of donations for the victims of the Oso Mudslide, we will be holding another donation drop tomorrow, 3/25 from 10am to 5pm at the Arlington Safeway and also at the Arlington Haggen, and again on Wednesday, 3/26 from 10am to 5pm at the Arlington Food Pavilion. Items in need are as followed: Non-perishable food, water, baby food, formula, diapers & baby wipes. Also, I was just informed that Darrington families are in need of perishable items along with Non-perishable items. Perishable items are as followed: Bread, 50lbs of ground beef, deli meat, and sliced cheese, really anything to prepare sandwiches for the families and first responders. The community response on our last donation drop was unbelievable!! Please share this post to get the word out!! These families are counting on us!! Let's continue to pull together and give these families what they need. I can also use 4 more volunteers, please PM me if you are available to help. In addition, If you are wanting to make a monetary donation that will go directly to the families of the Oso Mudslide, Union Bank and Cascade Valley Hospital have partnered up to set up a Disaster Relief Fund for monetary Cash donations in which are going directly to the families whom were affected. http://www.youcaring.com/nonprofits/cas ... und/154422"

6. Skagit Angler

Skagit Angler I miss Ed's Sports

I fly fished 'Leon's' as it was called by my fishing pals & I a lot in the 90s... caught and released my first big steelhead off the rock point towards the head of the hole (35" wild hen from the Skagit replants).. I considered it a coming of age of sorts...
    Looking up at that high bank as water wept out of it and trickled down to the Stilly was always disturbing...

My most heartfelt condolences to all those affected by this tragedy...

7. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

I also feel a connection to these people and that area. I came to this forum right away to learn more, and of course Kerry's post caught my attention. In Europe, villages are still wiped out by avalanches with surprising regularity. Crystal Mountain knocked their own chairlift down this year with a detonated slide. Sliding mud/snow - dangerous stuff. Terrible? Without question. Devastating? Absolutely. Unimaginable? No. The area is known to slide. Anyone who is surprised has not spent much time there.

8. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast Bigfoot is blurry

It's known to slide, but not to such a catastrophic extent. I think it's fair to say that cars being blown off the highway, from a slide on the other side of the valley, is a surprise.

9. cuponoodle breakfast

It's fascinating (maybe a little spooky) to look at satellite images of the valley and see just how many old slides are dotting the edges of those glacial deposits.

dfl, Ed Call and Andrew Lawrence like this.
  10. Andrew Lawrence

Andrew Lawrence Active Member

I agree! Despite the history of the area, the size of this thing is unreal.

Ed Call likes this.
  11. Karry

Karry Lost in Nontana

That is like the surprise of Mt St Helens. or a big earth quake, it's always were little quakes happen that a big one can come along. Same with mud slides. My Dad told me of a slide that came out of dry canyon when he was a boy. It was in the low hills just out side of town and you could easily see the trail and deposits from it. About 20 years ago I was looking to buy a new house and the real agent took me to a lot that they had just pored the cement on. That lot was on the hill from that mud slide. I said I was not interested, but he talked up the view of the mountains. Long stories short 2-3 years later that subdivision had 2 feet of mud in it but it was a surprise to every one. Event the Thistle side in 83 was a know side, but it still put the town under 300 feet of water. I think people just let the beauty and love of living on the river or hillside out way common scene.

12. G-spot4u

G-spot4u Active Member

Well, now it's real, imaginable and no longer a surprise. If you want to know what nonprofits other than Red Cross will help the victims, one option is to contact the Seattle Foundation at (206) 622-2294 or info@seattlefoundation.org

dfl likes this.
  13. cuponoodle breakfast

The Seattle Foundation says donate to Red Cross.

flybill likes this.
  14. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Just a Member

Not to take up an offense on another's behalf but.....

It seems as though every time I see you post you're intentionally provoking others. Now being provoked doesn't necessarily bother me or even to be in the company of other when the provocation occurs, it's just that when someone new shows up and all of their conversation tends this way I begin to think this individual has an agenda.

Kerry is a well respected member of this forum who certainly doesn't need anyone, let alone me, to make his point for him. I just wonder what your deal is G-spot4u. Somehow virtually every post I see from you makes me like you less and I generally like most folks.

cuponoodle breakfast likes this.
  15. cuponoodle breakfast

dfl and Andrew Lawrence like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.