Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

NFO Dragonfly

Boats 
13K views 47 replies 18 participants last post by  Barry Foster 
#1 ·
The Dragonfly was unveiled at this years Idaho Falls Fly Tying Convention.
For those in the market for a small (10'6") two man boat, this is ideal.
Has the self bailing floor which can take boot studs (not advised).
Frame is easy to assemble. Motor mount/anchor system well out of the way. and an additional GoPro camera mount.

#40 ·
Yes I have rowed bothe a raft and a pontoon, not in class v as far as I know, but some pretty hairy stuff. All sizes of drift boats as well. Not surprising since I've been a guide for the last twenty two years. (Fly Fishing).
I might be wrong but hasn't the Colorado been drifted hundreds of times in a wooden drift boat through the Grand Canyon?
Scott, you are a strange one, a very expensive old fashioned raft and a a couple of cheap nasty rods. I save St. Croix rods that I have in my arsenal for beginners
Have you ever actually seen a Scaddon three man raft and frame? Did you read the post just before yours?

#43 ·
Yes I have rowed bothe a raft and a pontoon, not in class v as far as I know, but some pretty hairy stuff. All sizes of drift boats as well. Not surprising since I've been a guide for the last twenty two years. (Fly Fishing).
I might be wrong but hasn't the Colorado been drifted hundreds of times in a wooden drift boat through the Grand Canyon?
Scott, you are a strange one, a very expensive old fashioned raft and a a couple of cheap nasty rods. I save St. Croix rods that I have in my arsenal for beginners
Have you ever actually seen a Scaddon three man raft and frame? Did you read the post just before yours?
Put them side by side with an AIRE, Sotar, Maravia, NRS, or the like, and a discerning eye can see very quickly (without even running them) why people who value their lives in a whitewater environment spend the money on these boats over a much, much, cheaper Scadden. Quality of construction, materials, valves, features, & performance. The only thing the Scadden has is light weight which is attractive for many anglers but that comes at a cost (quality, durability, longevity, etc.). Like I said, for easier water, they're generally fine. For those who are interested in stepping up their game they are not the boat of choice. I'm sure if installed a whitewater valve on one of my AIRE dry bags, glued the ends together, and pumped it up and put it in scenario Blue describes it would stand up as well without issue.

I'm sorry you got so offended with your tightly affixed Scadden badge on your sleeve. I'm quite happy with my Cult like following ST. Croix fly rods (sold my Sage's previous to these, love 'em), and my "OLD" AIRE Wave Destroyer Cataraft (LOL).

And yes, the purists love to run Dories down the Grand Canyon. If you haven't yet, read the Emerald Mile by Kevin Fedarko - outstanding book on Dories in the Grand Canyon and what was, up until a couple years ago, the fastest run down the Grand Canyon in history. Outstanding book, outstanding story!

Reactions: jake-e-boy
#42 ·
Sorry Ed, I didn't know it was a old thread, I'm a new member from Northern California. I dislike anyone dissing something they don't really know about. If anyone is around when I'm fishing and running with mine I would be happy to show them around my Scaddon. You will find me on the Trinity on a fairly regular basis.
I'll check any thread in future to make sure I'm not dragging up old stuff

#44 ·
Speyfitter , I'm not dissing any maker as you are. I don't have ANY brand loyalty, I base my purchasing descions on value for many and in the cast of a boat or raft safety! But you are wrong about Scaddon, have you even seen one? I doubt it since you done know how the floors are made End of story for me, I've got better things to do with my time
Peace brother

#46 ·
Hi people I'm searching for a Dragonfly like setup. I want to drift Olympic Penninsula (OP) and a few others, Wynoochee, etc. I am wondering if anyone else has experience with lower water raft type running on these WA. waters. I have a driftboat and have drifted them, and know that I can get out of trouble quickly with it, but I am wondering about these rafts, how are they at standing on the sticks in eminent danger. I want to shoot the Calawah. It is a driftboat eater, many rocks, in low water. One more, I'd like to sit behind a guide for my first float in a raft type???

#47 ·
My friends are on their forth or fifth year with their Dragonfly. They float a lot of rivers but I have no idea how gnarly they have been.
All I can say is We packed our 14' Dragonfly XL on a modified Motorcycle trailer. Unfortunately we didn't catch the fact the Turn signals on the trailer were on top the fenders and the boat slid back and forth on them till we got home. About 600 miles total.
There were two holes in the sides of the boat. Looked like 3 layers, but there was still more layers underneath. Still has not sprung a leak.
I think they are pretty tough. I also have carbide studs in my boots and I have wore them in my boat.
Just my experiences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.