NFR 5 Deer Hunters Shot

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by coonrad, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

People are amazing. Here's a little story a friend whose son-in-law is stationed at Fort Lewis with the Ranger Battalion told me.

He and about 80 other Rangers were milling around waiting for an MP to open up a back gate into McChord. A civilian went racing by in his car and never even slowed down. One of the troops bellowed out for him to slow down. The civilian stopped the car, backed up and started yelling at the troops wanting to know who told him to slow down. The man became increasingly agitated and eventually got out of his car. At that point an older and well-respected Master Sgt. approached the man and told him that the best thing that he could do would be to get back into his car and leave. The civilian got into the Sargent's face and then gave him a push almost knocking the Sarge over. Needless to say, about ten of the Rangers were on him in the blink of an eye. They had him hog-tied, subdued and crying uncle within seconds. The Pierce County Sheriff's office was called, and they hauled the guy off.

What kind of guy gets that upset over just being told to slow down. If 80 Army Rangers staring him down isn't enough to make him behave rationally, what is? He could have easily pulled this manuever with someone not as well equipped to deal with him, and then what would have happened? I'm sure it would have escalated further.

Anyway, I think this guy gets the moron of the year award. He's probably lucky the Troops just subdued him and waited for the Deputy.

2. WT

WT Active Member

Those crazy Rangers, leading the way in non-lethal intervention.
    RLTW,
    WT

3. MacRowdy

MacRowdy Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan

Home Page:
    What is a vietnamese dude doing in a tree stand in the woods with a snipered out SKS during hunting season? He's hunting. Hunting hunters.

That is obvious. WTF!? That is freaky. He hunted them down after he shot them. Imagine he shot some of them more than once.

I look forward to the full story.

MAC the: "Strange things are afoot at the circle K."

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    LOL Bill, that's funny. I heard a few similar situations from guys out there as well. Mostly at gettogethers at bars, parks, etc. Had a few close friends back in the late 80's/early 90's that I used to hang out with all the time in that unit. I heard some funny stuff.

I actually had a run in recently taking my kids to school. About 2 weeks ago I did my normal run over there (you make a loop to drop the kids off). I don't come out the main street, I hit a back street back to my house. Should say I've been doing this for almost the 2 years I've been off now with the injury. I'm going below school zone limits, only about 15mph. Guy comes RUNNING out of his garage and stops in front of my Blazer. Luckily, he wasn't acting too aggresively, but bad enough. Started ranting that I was going to fast. When I explained to him I was only going 15mph, and this was a public thoroughfaire that is at least 25mph, he went ?????. He assumed his street was only 10mph since it was small. LOL. I had to inform him that it was a publically owned street, and I highly doubted his street (which wasn't a dead end) was 10mph, and in all my years being a UPS driver driving around all of Pierce and parts of Kitsap County, never saw a public street marked at 10mph, and none besides schools during posted hours at 20mph. Private drives, well that's different story. Once I explained it to the guy, he was really cool about it. Even thanked me for not blowing back up at him (though I had my 5 D cell maglight ready in my right hand just in case). LOL. I kept my cool, but wanted to be ready just in case. Now he waves at me as I drive by in the morning. Think he actually drove his car around the corner and found out I wasn't going as fast as he had thought. But he's lucky. Some guys with very quick tempers may have done differently (like I probably would've in my younger days before I had kids, now I keep it under control now).

5. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

Sad, sad, sad. I agree - this guy may have been in the woods during deer season, but he was definitely not hunting deer. You don't need a scoped SKS semi-auto to kill whitetails. :eek:

Thing that pisses me off: like Rowdy said above, this guy is NOT a hunter. He is a psycho with a high-powered rifle. Now PETA and the gun control freaks have fresh ammunition for their siege against lawful hunters and gun owners. F'ing sucks. :mad:

BTW ......... "EXCELLENT" Bill & Ted quote, Rowdy. :thumb:

6. Monk

Monk Redneck

Good call Rowdy! My anti-gun friends are e-mailing me "see"!!?!?!Pfttt! Just makes my blood boil.

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Yeah, I tried to stay away from bringing up the basics on this. Figured it would spawn a new debate. But, semi auto's aren't needed at all while hunting big game. One shot placement should bring it down. If not, a quick hit of the bolt and you're reloaded. Don't need to fire as fast as I can pull the trigger (which to date, I've not had to drop a deer or elk with two shots, knock on wood). I agree, he was out with other intentions. Especially since it was private property, and sounds like a private treestand. My best guess there was a "what are you doing here, this is private property" and up went the gun shots. Probably not on the hunters end, but the guy with the best shooting platform. Very sad indeed. Just makes me cringe. My kids are wanting me to teach them how to hunt, and stuff like this scares me to death. Bad enough I had a similar experience. Luckily with mine, it was an uneducated hunter who had NO idea what he was doing. Not malliciously trying to kill me. LOL.

8. sjterry

sjterry Sr. Lurker

This may kick off something that I don't really want to start, but as an outdoorsman generally, fisherman first, hunter a distant second now, I don't have a problem with some forms of gun control. I don't think high powered simi-automatic (or full-auto) assault rifles are necessary for anyone other than the military or police. (I could see collectors being allowed to purchase and sell them w/o a pin). Also, I see no value in small caliber hand guns. You want a handgun - get a big one. The only thing I want in a handgun is stopping power, be it a person or a bear.

I will never say it is the gun that kill's a single person. Someone has to pull the trigger. But, in general, a multi-shot, high powered rifle is more likely to kill more people in a short amount of time than a single shot bolt action rifle can. This is just expressing a thought that came into my empty head while reading about this. Very sad for the people killed and injured.

9. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

play more video games and get it out of your system before picking up a gun, knife, grenade etc. - does wonders.

Surf

10. tyler

tyler Member

madness! macrowdy, i'm with you. that dude was hunting hunters.

saw some protesters this morning with a huge banner that read "the holidays are MURDER for turkeys." communists!!!

t

11. Curtis

Curtis New Member

makes me want to move to canada, where the murder rate is almost none existant compared to the us.

12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Actually 8 people were shot, two of them were women. 5 people died including one of the women. Several of them were simply land owners and their relatives, not even hunters.
    Ol' Chai had an SKS, that uses 10 round integral magazines and stripper clips if you have 'em handy. Since Chai hit some of the victims multiple times, this means he was carrying far more ammunition than any deer hunt might possibly need. It also indicates he had to reload, maybe several times. He wanted all the witnesses dead.

If they don't fry this little bastard, there is something really wrong with our justice system.

I hope both red and blue see this plain truth...

13. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

"If they don't fry this little bastard, there is something really wrong with our justice system.

I hope both red and blue see this plain truth..."

I couldn't agree more, this is just sickining.... :mad: :mad:

14. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I'd definitely recommend it, if for no other reason than to see that Canada is not the utopia that so many seem to think it is.

15. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

I don't have any info about this specific incident, but the perpetrator wasn't Vietnamese, he was Hmong. The Hmong fought on our side in the Vietnam war. After it was over they were persecuted, and many charitable groups like Lutheran Brotherhood out of Minnesota worked to get them out of their homeland. Anyway, they are big hunters and fishermen. I'll be interested to see the details of the confrontation and this guy's history.