NFR Anyone have a dog needing a good home?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Mike Wade, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

Thanks again guys. today I am going to Shelton to the Adopt A Pet shelter to visit a few dogs. If I find a good match I will bring him or her home with me today. I have also been approved for adoption by another group and I will be visiting with them next week unless something good happens today.

2. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

An update. Visited a few dogs in Shelton today. Found a great match for me and the dog. Brought him home with me and he immediately made himself part of the family. He's extremely playful, affectionate, and lovable. He's a one year old Lab mix, small for a lab, and I am very, very happy to have him. Thanks to all of you for your kind words. They rreally do help in an emotionally traumatic time.

3. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Congrats- post a photo of your new pal!

4. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Too many incidents with pits. Too many cities who have passed legislation against them. To many children attacked by them. To many other dogs mangled by "tame" pits. After almost every incident, the owner says something like "my dog is such a nice dog, I don't know what happened". They are not "normal" dogs. More power to you if you like em. I, like many, think they need to go.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/09/opinion/smith/main1192645.shtml

Peace

5. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

i'm a firm believer that stupid parents and dog owners need to go. keep the dog, punish the people.

a lot of these dog attacks you have to second guess. i've had people take there infants and wave them in front of my dogs face like a chew toy. if my dog attacks their child, should i or my dog be responsible? hell no. kid got what the parent deserved.

6. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Dogs bite?

It is a lifetime mystery to me why people keep denying that pit bulls are more likely than most other breeds to cause harm. No one is surprised when a greyhound runs fast, a lab swims, pointers point, Border Collies herd, or a retriever plays fetch till you're sick of it. No one ever attempts to deny the obvious suitability of these breeds for the purpose they were systematically developed.

When a Pit, Staffordshire or Rottweiler bites, however, the owners are always caught flat footed, despite the fact that these animals were bred for dog fighting, bull baiting and other blood sports. We had a Queensland Heeler for 8 years before he died of cancer, and I consider myself lucky that he never got us in trouble, as they WILL attack anything that moves if the dog thinks it threatens the family. I will never trust a dog's judgment with that kind of liability again. Read Philster's response, he's got it on the head.

7. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I've got a friend who adopted a female black lab mix from a shelter a couple years ago. Great dog until his wife pulled out a broom to sweep up and the dog flipped out, knocked over their toddler son and a couple chairs and went clean through a sliding screen door.

They reluctantly concluded that the dog had probably been beaten with a long stick like a broom handle. Every time the dog saw something that reminded her of that experience, she'd do considerable damage to anyone or anything in her way trying to escape.

Start with a pup and your own love and understanding and you probably won't go wrong.

K

8. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Those parents would have to be the stupidest parents around to take a baby infant and wave it in front of a pit bulls face like a chew toy, so personally, I think your full of shit. And yes, if they did do that, and your dog attacked, your ass would be sued and your dog euthanized. So yes, you would be responsible. It's happend many a times, just watch the video.

9. Chris Puma

first off, don't call me full of shit. it's happen to me multiple time AT THE DOG PARK. to bad i wouldn't be able to counter sue for stupidity. watch the videos? isn't that a pretty cliche way to shape your perspective? that's like reading CNN to get a perspective about world affairs. oh wait, that's probably where you saw the videos! i'm willing to bet you couldn't even distinguish a pitbull in a lineup of dogs.

don't chain your pit to the backyard, beat the shit out of it, prep it for fighting, bring it to the dog park, neglect it's well being, etc... raise it as a responsible dog owner and your dog, if you know its full history, will not go out of it's way to kill or viciously attack another person. if you don't believe that, then you know nothing about the breed and are part of the ignortant problem which almost everbody has been subjected to by watching videos of dogs attacking each other on the internet.

10. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

The videos show authorities hauling off a few "pet" pit bulls. The owners are basically being charged with murder. None of the dogs were being raised as killers etc. The owners are usually in shock, because there pet was such a "snuggle bunny". Attacking and killing is in the breed. It's like saying a black lab doesn't like water. Not my perspective, its many cities and even state's perspective on the facts presented....Pit bulls are notorius for unprevoked attacks. No other breed has caused so much alarm or problem. You can blab all you want, but the facts are there.

11. Chris Puma

those dogs you are referring to were mistreated. they were left in the backyard unattended to on a chain. they had a history of violence and the owner knew it. the authorities did nothing about it either. take out all the pieces of shit white trash, ghetto fabulous and wannabe thugs who mistreat there dogs and there would not be a media problem with the dog.

dogs don't attack attack humans for unprevoked reasons if they are raised correctly. you're not willing to accept that... making blanket statements about the breed that you don't know about doesn't help the situation. spend some time around the dogs and it'll give you a better perspective.

12. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    This thread has been highjacked and I think the debate needs to move to the forums on Michaelvick.com. Back to what it started out as...a new dog for Mr. Wade.

Mike, got a photo of your new buddy yet?

13. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Chris, not all those dogs were mistreated. They were family pets, and or they had no history of violence. If you pampered every dog like you say, you would still have pit bull attacks and problems, because they were "produced" to kill/attack. They are not blanket statements, they are statements supported by statistics and facts.

Boxers are pretty scary looking dogs as well, why aren't they in the media. Why aren't they getting a bad rap? Why arn't Boxers banned in many cities and states etc? The same with Rotts, and the list goes on and on. You are saying Pits are just victims? LOL. I'm sure they make great pets, But so do Grizzly bears and mountain lions to the right person.

14. Jasony

Jasony New Member

Congrats on the new addation to the family, we recently purchaced a Australian Cattle dog (aka blue heeler) Ended up getting two boys, brothers 10 weeks old. So far so good. I had to put my lab Cinder down in Feduary. She was 13, we had some great years. But towards the end she became seanile (sp). It took me a couple months to be ready for another dog.
    JY

15. Mike Wade

Mike Wade Member

As soon as I get the film developed I'll post a picture if a dinosaur like me can figure out how to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.