NFR: Car break ins

Discussion in 'Lost, Found, Stolen' started by cj6530, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Fast Action Freddie

Fast Action Freddie Having a drink in The Buff

How do you disable the engine?

for me: 41 yrs living in Seattle, 25 of them as of driving age, 20 of those leaving the car parked at trailheads, along rivers, at lakes, in park and rides for multiple days = 0 break-ins

i remember one time at a trailhead to a lake off the mountain loop highway (i can't remember which one) running into a guy who had his car broken into, vandalized, tires slashed and they took his tire iron ... at the trailhead. he found someone to give him a ride out ... so i made the short hike in to enjoy a little fishing, but it kind of put a damper on my sense of peace.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I drove a crappy car but I locked it up when I was at the water. Being crappy didn't stop the theives. I don't have a crappy car anymore and I don't live in the Greater Everett/Seattle area anymore. I have never seen anybody break into any auto here in the back woods.

Jim

3. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

That sucks. A friend of mine just lost about 7,000 buck worth of crap out of his car on the river. He had just moved here from utah and said he had never heard of this happening before. Well he learned tha hard way. I would LOVE!!!! to catch some sh*thead breaking my rig. I live on a dead end and my neighbors are old and can't hear very well. It would be so fun. :rofl:

4. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

O' about a month ago I forgot to lock my car and someone (kids I'm assuming) took my fanny pack with about 5 fly boxes, tippet, leaders, forceps,...basiclly everything but the rods and reels. Anyway, about 2 weeks later I came out of my house and found a bag on my steps. The contents, my 5 fly boxes. It turns out they saw the boxes (which are zero value) and jammed them in a bush, well I had my address on them and they found there way home. So, Sorry to hear about your loss. personally I'm writing my info on my stuff because "most" thief's want better stuff then fishing stuff.....and diaper bags.
    Buck.

5. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

iagree Yup, Dungy meth-heads need to be beat. I want my Zune back! Although, I did get to buy another one :D
    -Ethan

6. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

I've been pretty lucky in my van. It's a somewhat beat-up 2000 Chevy Astro cargo van. I always empty it of anything of value, leaving only hamburger wrappers and coffee cups. It's wide open inside, so they can easily walk around and see that there's nothing in it. So far, so good. I'm probably due...

This past Sunday, though, I did have some a-hole pull up to my driveway in broad daylight, walk into my backyard, and steal my lawnmower, weed-eater & crab rings while I was home. 3 of my neighbors saw the guy as he ran into a pile of rocks I have sitting by the road, 2 of them actually watched him get out and go into my backyard. They all went on with whatever they were doing, assuming the guy knew me. I never heard him. This, in downtown Bellingham at 11am on Father's day...

7. junebug41

junebug41 Junior Dave Monti fan

Well, any of a few different ways would work, but I like disconnecting the coil, then leaving the plug loosely connected so that it wouldn't jump out as the problem if some enterprising thief popped the hood.

8. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

And now you've just give us tweakers all the info we need:eek:: Registration = "into the spare tire well under the spare." Disable engine = easy to re-engage. Ahh tweakers...the scum of the earth. Gotta live with em, and think like they do. A baby bag looks like a real purse. Sounds kinda stupid to me. I lived in Kirkland for 4 years and had not one breakin. I was right off 15th Ave & Market St. On the curb. No problems ever. Trash that baby bag...:beathead: and sip a cold one :beer1:

9. kingpuck

kingpuck new to fly fishing but loving every minute of it

Easy Solution: always carry a gun and a shovel. You do the math.

10. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    Hey bhamfisher! you need better neighbors, what a bunch of self-centered, un-concerned idiots.:mad:
    I'm sure glad I don't have neighbors like those three! at least I hope I don't :hmmm:
    However, this may be the perfect time for you to get involved, and start a neighborhood watch program, so this won't happen again.
    I can't think of a neighborhood that exibits a need for it, more than yours. :beathead:

LB

11. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

2 car breakins, 1 home robbery(possibly 2 but I think my German Shepherd got a chunk of the guy before he took anything.), and 1 attempt to steal my harley. All in Kirkland. One of them while a cop was sitting across the street trolling for Drunk Drivers. No money for the city in busting theivs I guess. :beathead: No where near as profitable as DUI fines.

12. Mr.E

Mr.E He called me an Elitist ?? LOL ..what a moron

Rattlesnakeflyguy, cudos for coming out of the closet.:rolleyes:

13. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

After my Bud "Fly Punk" told me about his Utah friend's experience, and noticing 2 or 3 piles of broken window-glass at the little pull-off at the Little D, I 1) removed EVERYTHING from my rig, 2) leave open my glove-box and any other stow away spots in the vehicle, 3) leave the windows open enough to peer into the car and see there isn't anything worth stealing, 4) leave the doors unlocked, 5) leave 5 or 6 357. Mag casings scattered around the console, w/ one placed prominently in the middle of the dashboard in plain sight, 6) load six live rounds into my hand-cannon and go fishing. *When it's not too hot, I'll leave my 125 lb male Chessie in the vehicle, and hope some jackass pokes his head in there.

It all just sucks. I too, upon moving the this beautiful part of the world three years ago, was struck by the number of break-ins here in WA. I've fished WY, ID, and MT for years w/o any problem. I lived, and fly fished and hunted birds and waterfowl all over upstate NY and never had a problem w/ break-ins, nor did any of my extended family or friends. I believe the meth problem to be a major factor, as Upstate NY and New England seem to have dodged that bullet to a great extent.

14. Kinger

Kinger Headed East

Getting robbed is really frustrating. I got hit in Bellingham a couple times while living there...Been in the Seattle area for 10 years and so far so good, but I know its just a matter of time.
    When I have to leave my car in remote places to fish I usually carry my .45 with me, just in case I come back and find some tweeker with his arm through my window.
    Im a firm believer in putting an NRA sticker on your back window, just to let the riff raff know that if I catch them it will be a very bad day.

15. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Hmmm, maybe just the shell casings and NRA window sticker would be good insurance. I've heard that houses with security decals in the windows are less likely to be broken into, even if there really is no security system.