NFR: Computer guys: Why should I/shouldn't I buy a Samsung Chromebook?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

You can also get an inexpensive bluetooth keyboard for an ipad. You can get a case the fits the pad and keyboard. If you must type on the pad itself you'll find it to be easier than it looks.

2. Patrick Gould

For all the web based apps it's about the same. For using WFF you can get a nifty app called tapatalk or just use the full site in mobile mode. Both work great for me. Email integration is just about perfect. It's just a matter of plugging your password into the ipad under whatever email you use and you're ready to go.

3. PT

PT Physhicist

I'd rather have more than what I need than get something and realize it ain't enough. Chromebook only if web browsing with high speed, IPad is a decent machine, Surface is a step up from there. I think the IPhone is pure genious and having used the IPad for the past couple years I thought it was acceptable for it's purpose. Surface will do most anything you want. Like Evan, sold my IPad a week after being given the Surface.

BTW, who in the *$#@ are Microsoft marketing the Surface Pro to with those absolutely idiotic boardroom tv commercials? I'd probably own one right now if it wasn't for that ridiculous commercial.

4. PT

PT Physhicist

Ive, I drifted a bit. An IPad for $319 would probably be a great choice.

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

For me the tablet isn't about duplicating the functionality of any of my three full-featured computers or our 4G smartphones, but rather to supplement them. If I want a serious keyboard to write a novel (or one of my usual novel-length posts on WFF!), I'll use a laptop or desktop computer.

Where the tablet really shines for me is that it's easy to balance on my lap in the crapper, sitting on the garden bench sipping a gin and tonic, or lying on my side in bed reading an article in Vanity Fair or the Steve Jobs ibook with the brightness turned down while my wife snoozes beside me.

Yes, I could do all those things with a Chromebook or one of my two laptops, but their larger size, greater weight and unwieldy, hinged form factor makes it less convenient and more of a balancing act, especially lying on my side in bed.

For someone who wasn't at all planning to like having a tablet, I can't imagine not having one now.

K

Stew McLeod likes this.
  6. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Did you guys ever see a drop of mercury fall on the floor and then scatter in all directions? That's how my brain is starting to feel right now. About the only thing I am certain of is that I don't want a Windows8 format. I used a format similar to that back in '44 when I was in the 1st grade. It was called a coloring book.

I recently attempted to leap into the 21st century by buying a cell phone. I set up the account, ordered the phone and then registered it when it arrived. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. They sent another phone and I went through the process again. When it came time to make the test call I called the number and got 2 beeps. That was the extent of my cell phone comunication. The company then agreed that I was probably never going to be able to use a cell phone here and refunded my money.

But we do have high speed internet so I am hoping for better with whichever device I buy.

Ive

7. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Not certain where you live Ive, but maybe go visit a tech store (Apple Store, Fry's, heck even Radio Shack) and try a couple of them out. See how a tablet feels in your hand. Most of the techie folks at those stores would love to show you the upside and downside of a tablet versus a laptop.

I think Kent above has hit the nail on the head with his comments. The tablet is perfect for everything from sitting on the throne to hanging in a coffee shop.

Stew

8. greenwater

greenwater Active Member

Another vote for Surface RT (posted from a Surface RT)

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    +1 (posted from my Surface Pro)

10. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

An RT is a tablet. Snap on the keyboard, and it becomes a laptop. It cones with Office. It has a browser, but you can save stuff to the local device too. It all works well.

11. Patrick Gould

You won't like the Surface then. How about a nice Chromebook? :rolleyes:

12. willisbullard

willisbullard Member

We use 3x chromebooks at work to use shared files on google docs that are constantly open at 3 different work stations, each entering data. They are frustrating, mostly becuase of their speed, despite being on a strong wireless connection. Can't beat it for the price, but, as they say, you get what you pay for. I definitely consider it a toy, and when I want to actually do any data analysis, I go into the office on my desktop and maneuvor around. Big difference in speed on desktop and chromebooks, and I can get things done much faster on desktop. SO, I think it would work just fine in some situations, and the speed drives me crazy, because I am used to fast connections and fast cpus. Chromebooks are a great price, not a bad option for something that can do internet/ email etc. Could be something you grow out of, could be something that works great, and you won't have any complaints. Too slow for me though.

13. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Full disclosure: I did not read a single previous post on this thread.

But I think the chromebook is a hell of a deal for $250 if you can deal with "living in the cloud" and don't need internal storage space. Build quality isn't up to apple, the chassis has some flex to it and the AC plug is just abysmal compared to apple's magsafe. But the keyboard is almost as nice and the screen is decent. The trackpad is less so.

Can't run netflix and some random internet plugins. But overall it's done what I wanted it to do which was be a cheap light laptop to take with me to the coffeeshop/bar when I don't want to take my macbook pro or for the kids as an entertainment device (minus netflix), it's a great deal.

The short version: Think of it as a tablet with a keyboard and you are in good shape. Think of it as a tiny cheap laptop, you are going to be disappointed.

14. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

My thanks to all of you that have responded to my question. I have learned a hell of a lot in the past few days. I had no idea there were so many nuanced devices and so many niches they slotted into. It is almost like fly fishing and the proliferation of rods and lines nowadays. The big difference of course is that the electronic devices cost a lot more than a decent fly rod and their life span is considerably less. I am still fishing a Fenwick glass fly rod from the early '70's that cast even better now with a modern fly line. How many of you are staring at a Radio Shack TRS-80 right now? One thing I am pretty sure I can count on is that whatever I buy now will probably be an absolute fossil by 2015 should I actually last that long myself. Us '38 models are nearing the end of our service life as it were.

Thanks to Josh for an actual owners review. I had hoped for a few more of those. Often the response is: 'Get what I have' or 'Spend more-get more' and the always popular 'You get what you pay for'. Although often used as a slur, you get what you pay for is what I usually try to do. Some high-end users don't get what they pay for and some low end users get far more than they pay for.

No decision yet on just which way to go. I have enough information now that when I get to town I can go to GeeksAreUS and ask some halfway intelligent questions, handle a few of these things and determine which is adequate for my simple needs.

Thanks again for your generous responses.

Ive-a budding nerd

15. Patrick Gould

Our first gen Ipad is three years old (as old as they get). It still looks and feels new. We haven't hit any incompatibilities yet and it still runs as fast as it did in April 2010.