(NFR) David 43-Goliath 42

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

NFR: David 43-Goliath 42

THE best/most entertaining football I've ever seen! And, my team won! :beer2:

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Kent, I have to respectfully disagree. The BCS is greatly weighted by sportswriters.
    From Harris interactive:
    The BCS standings formula for the 2006 season will consist of three components:

1. Harris Interactive College Football Poll
    2. USA Today Coaches Poll
    3. BCS six computer rankings (average)

The BCS formula will give equal weight to each of the three components.

The Harris Interactive College Football Poll consists of a large number of panalists that are current or former media. There are former coaches and players on the panel but these people have or are currently associated with some sort of media outlet.
    They determine 33.33% of the BCS rankings and for me that is too much.
    Another thrid is the USA today coaches poll which I also believe to be biased and should be eliminated.
    The last third of the formula are 6 independent computer generated computer polls that are averaged together and the top and bottom ranks for the average of each team are dropped to soften the wieghting. These computer rankings may or may not include strenght of schedule, W-L record, point totals, etc. It depends on the person running each computer ranking.

So I think that Harris determining 1/3 of the ranking is too much. and the coaches poll is also too much weight in the ranking.

I don't think that writers are inhibiting a playoff series, I agree that its the college presidents doing that. But they are messing up the ranking. ie. USC, Notre Dame, Boise State..

3. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Great game. I like it anytime the West beats the East or small school from West beats anyone !! Right on Broncos !!

4. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

If the BCS were truly the last level playing field, the undefeated team would be national champion; end of story. If Ohio State wins, being a Big Ten team and a real powerhouse, I would feel that it is only fair that they be crowned National Champions. Boise State University should be Number Two; also end of story. It might be a once-in-a-lifetime happening but it would be honest, fair and square for Boise State U. And.....it would show that every now and then there will be a Boise State can fight through the crowd and win. As for all the money floating around for the big colleges and a couple miss the big pay day now and then, too bad. You lose ....and you lose!
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

5. Randy Hardy

Randy Hardy Member

That is amazing![/QUOTE]

While this is a less than positive result, this isn't the FIRST time OU's been to a BCS game. Stoop's is paid for success! There is huge pressure to win for this program, a 6-6 year might get him fired. It was a very good game but as an OU fan... I would have liked the score better if the game had ended with 31 secs. in regulation. bawling:

Randy

6. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

As an old Idaho boy, I am very pleased. But no matter who you liked, that was the best finish perhaps in collegiate bowl game history, and the most entertaining 4 hours of football I have seen in years.

BTW, which came first, the big coaching salary, or the championships? I think they bought the first few...

7. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

I just hope that coach stays around there and does not leave. But I guess it would be OK if he was offered the Husky job:thumb:

8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Sloan, thank you for the correcting my misunderstanding about how the BCS formula is weighted.

I'm not trying to provoke an argument here and I'm not sure what you've read to base your opinion of sportswriters on, but personally I've seen damned few articles or stories about college football that defend the BCS formula as the best way to determine a nation champion.

I believe the longevity of the BCS has more to do with the egos and vested interests of its member conferences, their component schools, and their boosters than with sportswriters. Due to their influence in the way the BCS formula is calculated, writers may have some voice in determining individual school ratings, but in the last analysis it's the BCS itself that decides on rule or formula changes, and ultimately, which teams get invited to their bowl games.

K

9. Kent Lufkin

I'm sitting here watching a very boring Orange Bowl and realize just how much last night's game spoiled me.

This afternoon I got a call from my father in law (a former Boise JC grad, pro football player and coach), sitting in a bar in the Phoenix airport with a few hundred other boosters waiting for the flight back hone. He told me that the WAC's payday from last night's game was $17 million, of which BSU will realize about $3.5 million.

Unlike OU which will probably use their share to pay another year of Stoops' contract, BSU's windfall will fund another year of football, one in which their recruiting efforts will be much more productive, thanks to last night's victory.

He hung up suddnly, saying that Ian Johnson and his fiancee had just sat down a couple stools away and he had to go and shake his hand.

K

10. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Kent I agree with you that writers want to see a playoff. And I agree 100% that school presidents and other administrators don't want to see that.:thumb: My issue was only that there is too much human influence , with writers and coaches, in the decision as to how teams are currently ranked in teh BCS poll.
    I also agree that this Orange Bowl leaves something to be desired.

11. Kent Lufkin

:beer2:

On an unrelated note, Nissan's been running the snot out of a commercial for their new Titan pickup that features a really nasty solo guitar riff. The damned thing's haunting me but I can't for the life of me remember who originally did it. Any ideas?

K

12. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

After the second field goal I turned on Sirius jazz and came in here to tie #18 parachutes. Now I'm enjoying myself. One thing this extended 32 game bowl season has made painfully obvious is that there are not 32 good announcers in all of television. They have ranged from young and sophmoric to old and near comatose with few bright spots in between. But-as Alton Brown would say-that's another show. Ive

13. spowino

spowino New Member

Kent,
    That would be Black Sabbath, Ozzie's old group.

14. Kent Lufkin

Thanks! :thumb:

K