NFR: Demise of Livestock killing Cougar

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Itchy Dog, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    A friend of mine who lives out the Ben Howard Rd near Monroe sent me these photos this week. The short version of the story goes like this:

Last Sunday a neighbor told her that something killed one of her 15 sheep the night before. Neighbor covered it with a tarp and was going to call Fish and Wildlife on Monday. Monday morning neighbor said that something pulled the sheep out from under the tarp and dragged it 100' down the fence line. The sheep was missing it's throat and chest.

Fish and Wildlife was called and within an hour an agent came out with a tracker and his Redbone hounds. One look and they could tell by the way the hounds were behaving that it was a cougar kill. They tracked it down a neighbor's driveway, behind a shed and within 20 feet of the house, then through the back yard and down into a steep ravine in the back yard. About 100 yards from the dead sheep. At that point the hounds were turned loose.

Down in the gully the hounds' baying indicated they'd found the cat. They moved down the gully a ways then stayed in one place. At that point the agent and the tracker went down in, and after a few minutes 2 shots rang out, then the dogs were completely silent. After about 1/2 hour, the agent and tracker came back out and said that the cougar had a radio collar on it. The ranger phoned a state biologist in charge of a cougar study (they catch and collar cougars, then track their wanderings). It was learned that the cougar killed a goat in Duvall 3 weeks prior. They tracked him then, collared him to include him in the study, and released him in North Bend. It took him 3 weeks to find his way to my friend's area- about 25 miles as the crow flies.

The cat turned out to be a 4-1/2 year old male that weighed 160 lbs. Since he'd already killed livestock and been collared and then killed again, he wasn't eligible for another catch and release.

Handsome, healthy cat for sure, certainly big enough to take down whatever he wanted, but about average as far as males go. Likely pushed into the "burbs" by a dominant male.

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Whoa! 160 lbs and that guy is carrying it out on his back.

3. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Hard to be eligible with a hole in yer chest. Wahat does a cougar taste like? Cheap beer?

4. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Chicken.:cool:

5. pilchuck steelie

pilchuck steelie Member

One of these days, I hope to get one. As for eating, I've heard they're similar to pork. I'll definitely be trying it, should I ever have the chance.
    For those who object, please remember that your sport involves using animal/bird parts for flies. And, probably some petroleum based products too. In one way or another, you're killing something or affecting its habitat.

6. Angler 77

Angler 77 AKA Scott Jones

I don't disagree with killing the cougar. That being said, I can't help feel a bit of compassion for the death of a majestic animal that was trying to make a living in the world today.

7. montnative

montnative born and raised in the Beartooths

iagreeiagreeiagreeiagreeiagree
    It is truly a sad site that he should die so we can live in his habitat.:( But on the other hand, I have had cougar sausage, And to this day it was some of the best sausage that I have ever had.:hmmm:

8. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

A sad story, made more so by the grin on the agent's face in that first 'trophy' photo. I understand that we have to kill such majestic animals on occasion (I'm not saying whether this occasion merited it), but it's made less palatable knowing someone got pleasure from it.
    D

9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Home Page:
    Cougars, Bears, Trees, Water, Fish...all lost one at a time
    And then one day we sit on a stone bench, in a paved park, and reminisce about the grass and trees, and the wild animals and fish that used to be.

Imagine that 160 pound Cougar, dropping silently down from a tree branch 15 feet above you, right onto your shoulders and back, your neck in his teeth....

10. Mathew

Mathew Ugly, but happy.

Home Page:

Unless it's one of those bastard fish, of course. :)

11. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Re: got pleasure from it...

Let us not forget that we, the public, have employed this gentleman to do a job, sometimes a distasteful job. He has that job because of his skills to do that job. As noted, this animal was previously caught and relocated, and had returned to become a threat. What could be done was done. This person did his job well, and we do not have the right to sit in judgment of him, or somehow presume to restrict him from taking pride in having done his job well.

my $.02

12. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Home Page:
    Dick,

I understand your point, but I've met the agent in the photo and he is one of the nicest, most courteous game agents, or people, you'll ever meet. I assure you his smile was not based on any pleasure he derived from shooting the cat.

13. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I am scared to death of lions. I can't tell you how many times I have been stricken with acute lion paranoia on the walk in to the Sauk bar. This thread won't help.
    Lions are the main reason that I fish with my dog. Maybe she'd be a sacraficial canine.

Lester today,

cds

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

When I first read the title to this thread,I thought it read like "livestock killing Cougar". It sounded like livestock was killing the cougar. Now that would be some big livestock.

Jim

When I go up in the woods to fish lately I think of all the things that could do me harm, Moose, Bears,Griz.Elk. I don't run across to many people where I go fish.

15. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Based on what I'd recently seen on a program somewhere, this would seem to be a good guess. This particular program indicated that a dominant male will definitely take up a large territory and keep it pretty much clear of competitors, pushing them into more marginal, and sometimes inhabited areas. Additionally, the program suggested that in states or areas where adult males are the primary legal targets (for hunting), their eventual "thinning out" can allow wandering young males like this one to move in, cats who sometimes haven't acquired the fear of humans that the more experienced cats have, leading to bolder and riskier behavior like this.

Too bad for everyone. I'm sure the agent felt badly about this, but understood that there was no other choice.