NFR: Demise of Livestock killing Cougar

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Itchy Dog, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

I just don't see the striking moral and aesthetic superiority of my 4 year old daughter as a 160 pound cougar stands proudly over her after he just jumped on her from behind, while she was playing in the yard and ripped her throat out. I see a dead future and an end of many dreams for my family and her. Maybe those liberal predictable bullshit quotes aren't always seeped in common sense and reality, when the tables are turned and you actually have to live the horror and fear of watching Mother Nature let one of her supreme killers and predators loose on your, property livestock or babies. Big cats are graceful, beautiful and touch the soul, but reality and romantic notions don't always mix well in that kill or be killed world we call Mother Nature. There is an orginization for people that put animals ahead of common sense and humans and they are called PETA. By the way, they are trying to ban all fishing also. Bloodsports are just that, bloodsports. Ours involves driving a sharpened spike (fly) into a fish's skull and then letting him run in fear until he is exhausted. Then we revive him, let him go and try to do it to him again! Far more "sporting" and ethical than hunting with hounds, or hunting in general.:rolleyes: Coach

2. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

This particular piece of emotional anthropomorphism probably belongs in the wolf thread.
    This thread is about the demise of a livestock killing cougar.

JonB

3. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

In your link another big word is mentioned, anthropomorphophobia:

"It is also probably true that humans have a natural tendency to deny common traits with other species, most particularly apes, feeling that humans are unique and "special."...."

I would say that is equally true. Neither word is really an argument for or against the DELISTING OF WOLF 253M.

4. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Jon, I believe you're suffering from anthropomorphophobia...lol. Semantics and opinions my friend.

5. HauntedByWaters

LOL sounds pretty funny doesn't it?

That should be the new PETA motto, "Fighting Anthropomorphobia One Republican Redneck At A Time!"

6. Jon Borcherding

Agreed.
    And the delisting of wolf 253M is not an argument for or against the killing of a cougar with a record of killing livestock.
    Apples and oranges, another feeble attempt to paint all hunters with a broad brush.
    Some "fishermen" enjoy snagging chums and killing them for no reason.
    How does that reflect on you as fisherman?

JonB

7. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Jon, I don't remember anywhere in the video did it say ALL HUNTERS ARE BAD. In fact, it seemed very specific to the lawful killing of wolves in Wyoming for the sole purpose of killing.

Seems like you're looking to start an arguement. Are you a lawyer with some downtime?

-Brett

8. Jon Borcherding

As a matter of fact, as I am reading this my tongue is probing the sharp teeth behind my front teeth, "canines" or "Incisors" I believe they are called. They remind me that I have much in common with other predators and that I am a participant in nature not simply an observer.
    I have no idea how you have arrived at your dime store diagnosis. No matter. This isn't really about me. It's just easier for you to take a swipe at my character than to form a cogent argument of your own.

JonB

9. Jon Borcherding

I didn't post the video. I responded to the post, pointing out that this thread was about a cougar that got killed for killing livestock.
    As for your lawyer comment, this thread is not about me or my professional life. It's about a cougar that got killed for killing livestock.

JonB

10. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Home Page:
    Have no fear coach, your daughter wasn't anywhere near the event. Thank god she's safe! You've done the right thing by moving to an island where there aren't any cougars - except possibly at the zoo. Hope you're able to get caught up on all of the sleep you lost last night worrying about "Lions and tigers and bears...oh my!"

That said, it sounds like you have a real problem with anybody who disagrees with your authoritarian position. And rather than debate your position, you chose to make it personal...so game on! But your argument is weak and the odds of your daughter or any human being attacked by a cougar are highly improbable - even hear in north america! There's a much higher risk to your daughter being hurt/raped/killed by those of your own species (or that of your football team, for that matter) than by a cougar :rolleyes:. And the further mankind spreads into what was once wilderness, one of two things occur. The first would be that mankind loses a few to "nature", and/or the second being that we turn nature into Disneyland.

And to your other point, there are those who put humans before all other creatures, and they're causing the demise of our last wild places and last wild creatures. God forbid we should lose a goat or a sheep, or worse yet, a couple of head of cattle to predators (which by the way, are often run on public land). Be sure to buy lots of red meat...:D

I was in Alaska one time when some testosterone laden, gun toating red-necked dipshit killed a black bear because he was so afraid for his young daughter. The bear was 75 yards away, and walking at a leisurely pace -and accross a river. But this "man" decided to show his remarkable bravery and killed the bear. He was turned in by about 20 other people who witnessed this event.

But for being such an ass and suggesting that protecting nature is somehow PETA oriented, I thought I'd post one more quote from good ol' Edward Abbey for ya' :p

"Football is a game for trained apes. That, in fact, is what most of the players are--retarded gorillas wearing helmets and uniforms. The only thing more debased is the surrounding mob of drunken monkeys howling the gorillas on." Edward Abbey :rofl:

11. prosopium

prosopium Member

its not really a big word, just long. pretty common word actually.

that video is garbage, useless propaganda for people who dont have a clue to join some peta-like group to give money to "protect" wolves. doesnt belong on this thread as stated.

20 bucks says that guy doesnt even live in the tri-state recovery area and if he does its probably in jackson.

12. HauntedByWaters

Geee thanks.

13. Jon Borcherding

Edward Abbey sounds like a great guy to have as a hero.

JonB

14. Brett Angel

Brett Angel Member

Your misuse of the word "anthropomorphism" was funny too me...sorry if I offended you. As for your career, I have no idea what you do for a living...it was a joke...you know lawyers like to argue.

15. Mike McCluskey

Mike McCluskey Macker of the Clan Campbell

"Football is a game for trained apes. That, in fact, is what most of the players are--retarded gorillas wearing helmets and uniforms. The only thing more debased is the surrounding mob of drunken monkeys howling the gorillas on." Edward Abbey

I find this statement extremely offensive. Gorillas show a high degree of intelligence and an extreme tendency towards proper social behavior within their overall society. Given this, I find that comparing them to football players is wrong.

/tongue in cheek mode