(NFR) Facts

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sharp Steelie, Jan 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fatwhitedog

fatwhitedog New Member

>they are guides, authors, they are some of the best in the business <

And this would make what point? That some of the folks up here are the best guides and authors in what business? The fishing industry? And that makes them the truly one defining god-like expert on the situation regarding fishing in Washington state?

2. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

FatWhitedog, whoever,

The point is they are in the know, ya know. If what Clay is saying is true, he's better then Raymond, better then Haig Brown even. If thats the case, his ideas and techniques will be high demand, he will be the new Ralph Wahl or Mcmillian. He will completely blow everyone elses books and ideas about steelheading away. If Clay's for real, then holy moses, what a treat to have a living legend on the board!!!

Fighting on the net is for tards. why do we do it??

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I think we need more guys like Sharp Steelie on here! I could care less if he's for real or not because it really doesn't matter. The entertainment factor of his cult of followers is what I can't get enough of! Any dude who can get people kissing his ass with such enthusiasm, while at the same time stirring up all kinds of controversy is sweet!!

4. Facts

OM,
    Good God, man. I went back and checked how long this board has been in operation and you have somehow managed to cram 3000+ into such a short amount of time. We have a new champ. However, I will grant you some leeway if you are chained to the walker and sucking Lipton's Cream of Mushroom through a straw. As for Dave's date stamp, I suspect it is sound given the structure and tempo of the general rolls I have noticed.

Dave, great to see you were yet again hovering over the keyboard on Sunday mid-afternoon. Ha, ha...! I can just see the beads of sweat dropping in brackish pools hoping that I would appear so that you could toss another gloriously crafted retort that would no doubt begin with, "Hey, Dude" or "Dude, Man." Me? I was enjoying a superb day of skiing in the outdoors - a place you like to pine about but never seem to find the time to visit given your unfortunate yet curable affliction.

Ira, glad to hear that someone out there actually gets it. Indeed, I believe that you and I may have met on one of the local lakes/rivers. I ran into a teacher one time who seems very much like you in mannerism and greatly enjoyed our chat. If that was you, all the best. If not, we must fish together sometime.

Right. I'm not able to check this board often due to the work and play goals I have set for myself but will respond when possible.

5. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Facts

This whole thing is over the top! From "Clay" and his claims to the responses and now the peanut gallery who never seem to post about fishing, only posting about people who post about fishing.

If "Clay" is hoaxing us he's using a multi-pronged approach, since he and his fly are in this month's Fish&Fly magazine.

If you are for real Clay, looking at how this has evolved, maybe you should work on your delivery? It all maybe true, but your claims here are certainly... bombastic (?)

God, goddess, hard to say. But I agree with alpine, the real funny stuff is the NFR dust up.

6. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

And I would have to say, we could use some less acerbic people like you with comments like that.:smokin

7. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Acerbic people or acerbic posts? Getting personal is a rookie discussion board move and exactly why this thread is so stoopid. Notice few of the long time posters commenting on this? Gee wiz, I wonder why? Let it go man.

8. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

People take this stuff much too seriously. Reactions like that only serve to encourage me. This whole thing has been a giant comedy fest in my eyes, and I can't resist throwing some smart-assed remarks out there to help feed it.

I can certainly understand your position, but I don't see why you chose to use "acerbic" to describe my comments. Care to elaborate?

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

He wants you to "pinch your barbs".:p

10. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Kerry- I thought I was legal until the end of Feb? (Just kidding) :)

11. ChrisC

ChrisC Active Member

Yes that was definitely a troll, to make the case that it really doesn't take much at all to get something like this started. Apologies for my choice of wording and making it a troll. As you put it, "smart a**" is probably a better description ;).

12. ray helaers

ray helaers Active Member

Well this doesn't happen around here very much.

Actually I have to say that I don't believe SS for one second. Sorry, just not very plausible. Even if it's true the blatant self-promotion is a little embarrasing to tell you the truth. I get the feeling you're probably sincere in your desire to "share," but regardless of your intent it seems like you'd really like to sell some books.

But you know what? Whatever. I don't believe anything any of you guys say about your fishing, and I can't imagine what would make you believe me. News flash: THIS IS FISHING. (Like any of us believe ANYBODY is having 60-fish days on the Yak.) And the self-promotion besiness is certainly not without precedence in fishing, or even on this site. Neither is any predisposition towards preening.

So I have to say that whole thread seemed pretty unecessary, as was the reaction (if you like to tell implausible stories -- true or not -- you ought to learn to get philosophical about being called a liar).

Maybe we should all get over ourselves and go back to politely pretending to believe eachothers' lies. And let's keep all the trash talk behind peoples' backs where it belongs.

13. Kalm

Kalm Member

First of all, I can't tell if this debate is real or fabricated, but I agree that is is extremely entertaining.

If it's true, I would agree with others that some people need to get over themselves and not take this stuff too seriously. For example, a short while back on a different subject, I called Wet Line's opinion of vulgarity narrow minded. He confused my criticism of his OPINION for calling HIM narrow minded, and preceded to smack me around about not personally knowing him, and relating part of his life story in a failed attempt to prove his deep thinking and prove me wrong.

Of course people are entitled to their opinions but that doesn't place them above criticism. It seems obvious to me that if you're opinionated and you publicly offer your opionions than you better be thick-skinned and realize your open to attack. Unfortunately this is not obvious to everyone. The same probably holds true for the size and numbers of fish you catch.

Second, being a golf professional, I can assure you that fly fishing is not the only acitivity where the phenomenon of too-good-to-be-true success stories is prevalent. My sport is loaded with people who claim to have "figured it all out", or equipment vendors who offer the "solution". In most cases, their is either a buck to be made, or someone's dellusional concept of their own success limited to a shortage of experience and based on an under-appreciation of accomplishment or what it takes to succeed.

Enter the elite fly fishermen or guides and authors who might take exception to S.S.'s claims. They have paid their dues and have heard or seen it all. And even if S.S.'s claims are partially true, they realize that it is one thing to have personal success, and something entirely else to be able to educate others, especially as a profession and for profit. Just because you are good at golf, it doesn't mean that you have truly grasped why that is, nor does it mean you will be able to teach others. I get the impression that fly fishing is the same.

14. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Exactly!!!! Ray, spoken like a true gentlemen. Thank you. :thumb YT:smokin

15. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

There was a lot of tackiness in all this: the references to God and special needs children were a bit much. The jiving of others, including myself, is fun but it uses other people to be amusing and of course, the amusement is at their expense. Anyone can lie and get others to believe for awhile. And when some of the names backing this fool were names that I respect, I was taken in a bit to say the least. To find out that they were complicit causes a certain loss of respect for them.
    T'was a bummer.
    Bottom line, I feel very foolish and I have no one to blame for that except myself. Makes me now more wary of possible flamers and jackasses just friggin' around with people. Guess the bite is slow.
    Bob, the pissed.:reallymad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.