NFR: HB3359 seeks to serialize handgun ammo

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

BD.
    :thumb:

2. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

My letter to my representatives:

I urge you to oppose the passage of HB3359 which seeks to mandate the serialization of all handgun ammunition. This bill does nothing to prevent crime and would actually encourage a growing black market for ammunition.
    As a life long participant in the shooting sports I can assure you that serialization would be easily defeated by criminals who cater to the needs of the black market on firearms and ammunition. This bill, if enacted, would also increase the cost of manufacturing ammunition and further abridge the right of the people to keep and bear arms as set forth in the U.S. Constitution.
    I respectfully submit that this is a thinly veiled attempt to harass law abiding gun owners who have already given up too many freedoms to legislators claiming to act in the interest of public safety.
    I eagerly await your comments and, should this bill come to a vote, I will be mindful of your position.

Sincerely,

Jon Borcherding

Please feel free to copy and paste this letter if you wish. I would suggest that you personalize it but, that is up to you.

JonB

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

That's real classy to write something stupid, then edit it when people call you out for it and pretend you never wrote it. Congratulations on being a spineless pussy.

4. Chris Puma

Chris Puma hates waking up early

oh man. i'm screwed. i edited my statement because i thought it sounded a little ridiculous.

that comment about harassing gun owners was just a sentance mistake. i'm designing drainage ditches and posting at the same time. sorry.

5. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

iagree

Crime and criminals are like a wart on the world that will NEVER go away. This is why the founders of our nation gave us the right to have a gun in the first place.

6. Gary C. Brown

Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

I sent my e-mails today, thanks for the heads up Roper.

7. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Is that a fact?

8. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I don't think it was petty criminals they were worried about. I think it was England and Indians, but what do i know.

9. Jon Borcherding

As many of you already know, there are literally billions of cartridge cases out there already and they are UNMARKED. Nearly all of them can be reloaded. There will be no end of unmarked cartridges for many years, giving birth to the next legislative case of "do somethingitis" that will outlaw the posession of unmarked cartridges.
    Can anybody see the problem with this?

JonB

10. Jon Borcherding

This topic has been debated ad nauseum and so far the Supreme Court has sided with those who believe that firearms ownership is an INDIVIDUAL RIGHT.
    One of the many reasons that Supreme Court Justices are more important than presidents.

JonB

11. Chris Puma

bill, no, i don't think your fanatical what-so-ever. i wrote something which poorly conveyed my thoughts and the redited it hoping nobody would get to quote it.

honestly, i'm all for the rights of gun owners.

the fanatical part of it was a poor choice of words. i'm just saying that there's legislation geared towards tracking ammunition. ok. i don't think it will solve much of anything. at the same time saying that people are having their rights are being infringed on, harassed by the government, etc. seems a little "fanatical" for a serial number on a bullet. i think thought it was a little scary that people go ape sh*t over the smallest thing. i didn't really consider the $$$ aspect of it. get at the root of the problem. this isn't going to solve it.

12. Chris Puma

maybe i can change my username like Buck to get out of this one.

13. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Jon, I know full well what the courts have said. I was only alluding to what I see as the intent of the framers. I haven't read any of the court decisions word for word, so I can't speak to specific arguments. But it seems pretty clear that the main intent of the second amendment was to provide for a "well regulated militia."

14. Jon Borcherding

This is the reply I just received from a rep. that I emailed:

I agree with you, I would never support any such bill. The bill died in committee, safe for another year.

Rep. Tom Campbell

So maybe you boys can stop the pissing match and we can move on to more relevant issues like swing vs. nymph, wet vs. dry, carbon vs. cane, you know..... the important stuff!:rofl:

JonB

15. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

No big deal Chris.
    It's all good.
    I look forward to fishing with you next month.
    Talk soon..

BD.