NFR: HB3359 seeks to serialize handgun ammo

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Jack Murphy

Jack Murphy Member

Nope. That's the thinking that leads to a nation with no personal privacy or rights.

If it solves one murder to implant a GPS chip in your spine at birth so your movements could be tracked 24/7 to stop you from committing a murder would it be worth it?

If it solves one murder to premit searches without a warrant of your home and business would it be worth it?

If it solves one murder to require all people in the U.S. to provide DNA at birth would it be worth it?

The slope can become very slippery in a hurry.

2. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Amen Brothers !!! Criminals are criminals . They don't give a shit about any laws.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I heard this morning that this bill was DOA at the legislature. Apparently the technology firm that has the means to serialize ammo is or intends to vette this potential legislation in 7 states, including WA. Just because technology makes it possible doesn't make it a good idea. Hopefully it's DOA in the other states as well.

4. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

yup. died in committee.
    LOOK!!!! A DEAD HORSE!!!! LETS GO KICK THE SHIT OUT OF IT!!!!
    My Rep. says it'll be back next year. (surprise, surprise)

JonB

5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Good for them.

6. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

The volume of ammunition already in circulation, and reloading supplies already purchased say this is a non-starter, is absolutely without merit.

It does, however, make good eyewash for a certain constituency...hmmm, this isn't an election year is it?

7. Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor Member

Well...I think we can all agree with this...

Too many idiots own guns. If someone has a solution to that problem than please chime in. Without going into great detail I have been touched by firearms violence and would like to see something work. So Jon...I understand your sentiment but in our circumstance we never found the person...maybe a serial number would have helped...maybe not. If you are a law abiding citizen then I would think there is nothing to fear in a registration number a mandatory waiting period, etc.

I do not think guns should be banned. Too many sportsmen and ethical participants in the shooting sports. But I do think there are too many weapons out on the streets.

Getting off the soap box now and maybe we should just focus on enforcing the laws we have rather than adding new ones.

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

Not if it implicates one innocent person to a crime they did not commit. Could be difficult to get your life back after that.

9. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

That's an interesting perspective, however it's impossible to truly quantify. If a murder is solved by matching a bullet or shell casing to the person who was registered as the buyer AND shooter, that's great. The problem is that what if for that one solved murder, another person is murdered by someone (regardless of method) who is intent on stealing their legally obtained ammunition. Now it could be argued that the law caused the death of a person, albeit in a somewhat roundabout fashion. Which is worse; an unsolved murder or two murders (one of which may still be unsolved)? This is all hypothetical and oversimplified for sake of example, of course.

10. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

It's quite simple. I have a very effective solution. On the side of every box of ammo print the following in large bold type:

Amunition Testing Procedure:

1: Insert shell into chamber of gun

2: Disengage safety.

3: point muzzle at your reproductive organs and pull trigger

It may take a generation or two but Darwin will weed out the idiots eventually. :thumb:

11. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

^
    Do you have something against literate people?

12. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

:rofl: Good point. There would probably have to be illustrations attached to those instructions.

In addition to requesting the prior, I'm also going to write my representative and ask that the warning label on McDonalds coffee be changed from "Warning Contents Hot" to "For a Warm Fuzzy Feeling, Pour Contents Down Underpants"

:rofl:

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

Jeremy..... It will be called BeJofusism and replace Darwinism.

14. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Ok, how many of you read the entire text of the bill?

Can anyone tell me how many alpha/numerics will be required to creat these "unique" serial numbers for all the ammunition that will be produced in just one year?
    Can anyone tell me how that number is gonna fit in a 22 long rifle round which can be used in a hand gun?
    Can anyone tell me the scientific testing to prove this is a viable process?
    Can anyone tell me why law abiding citizens need to be tracked in a database?
    Can anyone give me the return on investment factors invloved in this process?
    Can anyone precict the resulting cost to ammunition?
    Can anyone tell me where this is going to stop?

I don't think there are any warm and fuzzy answers to any of this. I feel it's just another attempt to artificially raise the cost of ammo so that the only folks that can own it will be the rich and the criminal.

And in the end it will never stop some individual from shooting someone. So it does nothing to protect anyone. You're foolish to believe otherwise...:rolleyes:

Here's another fun goverment program, National Animal Identification System, it's a wet dream of the USDA to micro chip all cows, sheep, hogs, horses, llamas, etc. So any of you gentlemen farmers better get ready to register your animals...;)

I wonder when people will get their microchips...? :confused:

15. Porter

Porter Active Member

1984? Big Brother? So he was off by a few decades.