NFR - Homebrew talk

cpjm

I am going to brew Friday with summer in mind. Nothing satisfies you more than a nice, light, crisp 7% rye after mowing the lawn or barbequing. I usually use ale yeast but this time I am going to use a lager yeast. I am also brewing a belgium honey ale... my personal favorite. I always kick it up a notch with extra honey, my goal for alcohol content is +9. My third brew will be a rye based ale that I turn into an IPA, I call it RyePA, again amped up to at least 9%. I haven't brewed since September 2010 and I am good and ready for the event. Why is it that many if not all fly fishermen seem to love all things beer? Some of the best brewers I know are fly fishermen. Must be our love of reading the water? :)
My own version of a rye based beer is more of a wheat/rye beer:
---Ryeno Lips---
2# flaked rye, 1/2# 40L Crystal, 1/2# Munich, 1/2# toasted 2-row (350 deg for 10 minutes)
6# wheat extract
1 oz Mt Hood (60min, 5-6 hbu), 1 oz Hood (30 min, 5-6 hbu), 1/2 Hallertauer (10 min, 1-2 hbu), 1/2 oz Hallertauer (2 min, 1-2 hbu)
American Hefe Wyeast #1010
Primary ferment 1-2 weeks, secondary ferment 1 week, keg and enjoy!

It turns out VERY smooth and runs across the tongue like velvet. I've made it seven times over my 15+ years of brewing and haven't been disappointed yet. Other favorites are: Fishhook ESB, Murderous Crow Schwartzbier, Bohemian Beauty, Starbucks Starry Night Espresso Stout, Admiralty Alt, Camel Spit IPA, Bockadoodledoo, Britisher's Brown Ale, and Watertown Blueberry Lager. My first batch in 1996 was a kit, the following 76 have all been original recipes. Find a style you like, read about it, comb the recipe books and sites, then go your own way... very rewarding when you just "nail it!" Cheers.

Think I'm gonna do a run of lagers next month after I free up some fermenter space. I think my summer will be much better with some Dortmunder Export, Vienna Lager, and Schwarzbier on tap.

Matt Smith

On the river Noyb
I have a fridge for my kegs, but I have never done a lager. For my ales I built a Son of Fermentation Chiller (look it up online) Its a tempature controlled foam box which keep my temps just perfect for ales. It also keeps the light out to avoid skunkyness. My beers got waaaaay better when I focused on yeast and fermentation tempature.
If you do use a fridge for lagering, get a tempature controler for it. They are like $70 and worth every penny.

Do nyou all use a refridgerator for lager? I have one. I also have a basement.

Go Sox,
cds
I have a chest freezer that I have a temp controller on. I do my fermentations in there (can hold it anywhere from 20f+), then lager in my beer fridge in the keg.

My beer fridge:

(the carboy in there is my mead I made today. had to heat the water a bit to dissolve the honey. it's chilling to pitching temps)

Matt Smith

On the river Noyb
Jeff, I agree, That is way too much beer surplus! I will help with that Firestone Walker
These are the kegs for the HohDown

Beer Fridge

Fermentation Chiller with a Pliny the Elder Clone chugging away

They are not really sideways in my house, i was too lazy to rotate them.

I have a traditional Bock that I brewed up for spring. It was my first attempt at lagering, and I definitely have a lot to learn there. Now I am trying to decide what to brew next. Thinking a belgian style, but not sure which route to go. May do a farmhouse ale.

I have a traditional Bock that I brewed up for spring. It was my first attempt at lagering, and I definitely have a lot to learn there. Now I am trying to decide what to brew next. Thinking a belgian style, but not sure which route to go. May do a farmhouse ale.
For lagers, the biggest thing (besides fermentation temps) is pitching enough yeast. You need to do a healthy starter, otherwise, pitch about 4-5 vials/packs of yeast.

If you go the belgian/farmhouse route: I have some very very good belgian recipes that I made up a while ago and have brewed a half dozen times each. I'd say my belgians are typically my best beers. Love brewing those.

For lagers, the biggest thing (besides fermentation temps) is pitching enough yeast. You need to do a healthy starter, otherwise, pitch about 4-5 vials/packs of yeast.

If you go the belgian/farmhouse route: I have some very very good belgian recipes that I made up a while ago and have brewed a half dozen times each. I'd say my belgians are typically my best beers. Love brewing those.
I love drinking them, and thought it would be a good way to appreciate them even more. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain if I have any questions.

My own version of a rye based beer is more of a wheat/rye beer:
---Ryeno Lips---
2# flaked rye, 1/2# 40L Crystal, 1/2# Munich, 1/2# toasted 2-row (350 deg for 10 minutes)
6# wheat extract
1 oz Mt Hood (60min, 5-6 hbu), 1 oz Hood (30 min, 5-6 hbu), 1/2 Hallertauer (10 min, 1-2 hbu), 1/2 oz Hallertauer (2 min, 1-2 hbu)
American Hefe Wyeast #1010
Primary ferment 1-2 weeks, secondary ferment 1 week, keg and enjoy!

It turns out VERY smooth and runs across the tongue like velvet. I've made it seven times over my 15+ years of brewing and haven't been disappointed yet. Other favorites are: Fishhook ESB, Murderous Crow Schwartzbier, Bohemian Beauty, Starbucks Starry Night Espresso Stout, Admiralty Alt, Camel Spit IPA, Bockadoodledoo, Britisher's Brown Ale, and Watertown Blueberry Lager. My first batch in 1996 was a kit, the following 76 have all been original recipes. Find a style you like, read about it, comb the recipe books and sites, then go your own way... very rewarding when you just "nail it!" Cheers.
Sounds excelent. I too have a wheat / rye blend.... I add 2lbs of cracked rye to a mixture of crystal malt, munich malt and I use British Ale.... my hops of choice for this are fuggle and whilamette... want an earthy undertone of hop and malt. It is a good beer. This beer is on tap for the people who want beer taste with no lingering bitterness. Thanks for sharing. I am excited to see what lagering will do to this recipe.

Love all the homebrewing happening on 'round here! You guys rule.
Right now I've got a BlackIPA, a SMaSH (golden promise/cascade), and a rye going now. Should start thinking about summer beers too, need to make a 4th of July lager!