NFR - Homebrew talk

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Mar 4, 2011.

1. cpjm

cpjm New Member

My own version of a rye based beer is more of a wheat/rye beer:
    ---Ryeno Lips---
    2# flaked rye, 1/2# 40L Crystal, 1/2# Munich, 1/2# toasted 2-row (350 deg for 10 minutes)
    6# wheat extract
    1 oz Mt Hood (60min, 5-6 hbu), 1 oz Hood (30 min, 5-6 hbu), 1/2 Hallertauer (10 min, 1-2 hbu), 1/2 oz Hallertauer (2 min, 1-2 hbu)
    American Hefe Wyeast #1010
    Primary ferment 1-2 weeks, secondary ferment 1 week, keg and enjoy!

It turns out VERY smooth and runs across the tongue like velvet. I've made it seven times over my 15+ years of brewing and haven't been disappointed yet. Other favorites are: Fishhook ESB, Murderous Crow Schwartzbier, Bohemian Beauty, Starbucks Starry Night Espresso Stout, Admiralty Alt, Camel Spit IPA, Bockadoodledoo, Britisher's Brown Ale, and Watertown Blueberry Lager. My first batch in 1996 was a kit, the following 76 have all been original recipes. Find a style you like, read about it, comb the recipe books and sites, then go your own way... very rewarding when you just "nail it!" Cheers.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Think I'm gonna do a run of lagers next month after I free up some fermenter space. I think my summer will be much better with some Dortmunder Export, Vienna Lager, and Schwarzbier on tap.

3. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Do nyou all use a refridgerator for lager? I have one. I also have a basement.

Go Sox,
    cds

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

I have a fridge for my kegs, but I have never done a lager. For my ales I built a Son of Fermentation Chiller (look it up online) Its a tempature controlled foam box which keep my temps just perfect for ales. It also keeps the light out to avoid skunkyness. My beers got waaaaay better when I focused on yeast and fermentation tempature.
    If you do use a fridge for lagering, get a tempature controler for it. They are like $70 and worth every penny.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I have a chest freezer that I have a temp controller on. I do my fermentations in there (can hold it anywhere from 20f+), then lager in my beer fridge in the keg.

My beer fridge:
    [​IMG]
    (the carboy in there is my mead I made today. had to heat the water a bit to dissolve the honey. it's chilling to pitching temps)

6. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Even, you have Waaayyyyy to much beer in there. I think you need to invite me over to help you open up some storage space.

7. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Jeff, I agree, That is way too much beer surplus! I will help with that Firestone Walker
    These are the kegs for the HohDown
    [​IMG]
    Beer Fridge
    [​IMG]
    Fermentation Chiller with a Pliny the Elder Clone chugging away
    [​IMG]

They are not really sideways in my house, i was too lazy to rotate them.

8. Schemy

Schemy Member

I have a traditional Bock that I brewed up for spring. It was my first attempt at lagering, and I definitely have a lot to learn there. Now I am trying to decide what to brew next. Thinking a belgian style, but not sure which route to go. May do a farmhouse ale.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    For lagers, the biggest thing (besides fermentation temps) is pitching enough yeast. You need to do a healthy starter, otherwise, pitch about 4-5 vials/packs of yeast.

If you go the belgian/farmhouse route: I have some very very good belgian recipes that I made up a while ago and have brewed a half dozen times each. I'd say my belgians are typically my best beers. Love brewing those.

10. Schemy

Schemy Member

I love drinking them, and thought it would be a good way to appreciate them even more. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain if I have any questions.

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    not at all

12. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Sounds excelent. I too have a wheat / rye blend.... I add 2lbs of cracked rye to a mixture of crystal malt, munich malt and I use British Ale.... my hops of choice for this are fuggle and whilamette... want an earthy undertone of hop and malt. It is a good beer. This beer is on tap for the people who want beer taste with no lingering bitterness. Thanks for sharing. I am excited to see what lagering will do to this recipe.

13. lespaulrock

lespaulrock Member

Love all the homebrewing happening on 'round here! You guys rule.
    Right now I've got a BlackIPA, a SMaSH (golden promise/cascade), and a rye going now. Should start thinking about summer beers too, need to make a 4th of July lager!

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    We need to have a WFF homebrew clave

15. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

That sounds like an excellent idea Evan!!!