NFR - Homebrew talk

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

Charles, are you using 10 gallon orange drink coolers for your mashtun and hot liquor tank? what are you going to use to heat all your stuff? on the stove or outside?

2. lespaulrock

lespaulrock Member

iagree with Porter

3. kyle

kyle Active Member

Any mead makers on here. I did my first experiment with mead and it was awesome. I would like to make a bigger batch. I was wondering if it would be ok to ferment in a Gott water cooler. Then rack it into a secondary. Then bottle it. This is the process as Im tracking. The first one I did I went straight from fermenting container to bottles. Then drank it after about three weeks. Tasted amazing.

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I've got 5.5 gals of mead going right now. As far as your fermenter idea; any sealable vessel will work, so long as you have a way to let Co2 escape, and keep bugs from getting in. And make damn sure it's CLEAN and sanitized.

5. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Eric,

At this point I will use 2 square coolers that I already own. In the future I may try to purchase the round ones. For heat I will use my crab cooker. The difficulty will be with tranferring liquids. My back is weak and the governor likely isn't gonna want me to purchase a pump. I will need tu use gravity, therefore I'll be lifting.
    All I need to do now is to retro the keg with a valve at the bottom and fabricate the mashtun. The keg will have a steel sock style mashtun in it to keep the hops in tha keg. I have copper tubing and a copper bender to make the wort chiller. I may need another cooler/vessel for that too.

In reality what will happen is I'll come up with a half assed pea brain idea. I'll then PM Burck. He'll poliely tell me I'm an idiot and then steer me in the right direction. At this point he drinks for free in B'ham.

Buchholz,
    cds

6. Eric Tarcha

Eric Tarcha gear whore

HAHAHAA!!! nice.

Evan didnt like my last effort...too bananaie for him....;)

7. kyle

kyle Active Member

Yeah I have a bubbler for it to keep bugs out. Can you go right from fermenter to bottles or will it break the bottles.

8. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Just gots to pitch more yeast! And bring that ferment temp down a bit.

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    On a mead, leave it in primary for about 6wks. I always do secondary on meads, and do a cold crash to keep as much yeast out of the bottles as possible.

10. kyle

kyle Active Member

what I don't get is whats the purpose of the secondary. Cant it do the same thing in bottles. Is there anyone that has a relatively simple recipe for mead. Not looking for anything secret or anything. Send me a pm. The recipe I used had me using regular bread yeast and rasins and slices of lemon.

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Secondaries are pointless for most beers. But for mead, you want it to sit in secondary for at least a month to let any additional suspended yeast to fall out to the bottom. With mead, you don't want yeast in your bottle.

Recipe: 3lb honey per gallon of water. warm the water a bit (about 80f) to help dissolve the honey, mix with a clean/sanitized spoon in a clean/sanitized vessel of some sort, add yeast nutrients (honey has no nutrients for the yeast), and pitch a pack of dry champagne yeast when the must gets to about 70f.

12. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

People should really check out homebrewtalk.com if they're interested in more information on this subject.

The more you know.

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    www.thebrewingnetwork.com = by far the best resource

14. ribka

ribka Active Member

Time to close down this thread!!

Now I have to get all of my brew crap out of my garage, clean it and make an IPA.

I thought I had beat that monkey on my back.

Damn you all!!
    :beer1::beer1:

15. Chloe's DAD

Chloe's DAD New Member

evan sec ferm gets rid of dead or sleeping cells and in sec ferm u get a cleaner beer, i did a extreme ipa and it will knock your pee pee in the DIRT! i had several recipes from olympic brewing in bremerton. Bill the owner is retired and disectx all kinds of beer and wine and comes damn close. irish red is good and pale ale turned out great and now im brewing a fat bastard scotch ale.:beer1::beer2: