NFR: How do you pack your firearm when fishing?

Roper

Idiot Savant
OMFG! This has gotten so out of hand.

Ropers reality check:

How many of you have had a life threatening experience (other than drowning) while fishing?
You know, grizzly, tweaker, armed robber, suicide bomber...

Have you ever fished an area know for any of the above?

How many have drawn down on one of the above?

If a building was on fire, would you run inside...?

Anybody gettin' my drift yet...?

You guys do realize, a large percentage of the people claiming self defence in a shoot, go to jail. just pointing a gun may be determined to be aggravated assault. it all depends on the prosecutor and his or her value system, they determine if you are going to be prosecuted or not, not the officer on the scene, last i checked prosecutorial administrators are elected officials, so if you pull it, you better be right, or jail is where you will sit. you better be able to demonstrate and articulate your life or the life of another, was at risk.

What? It's not black and white? You mean if AS I AM tells the prosecutor that he was in the right, and kills someone who attacked him while he was flyfishing:D:D:D:D (I know, the whole concept is funny boys) he doesn't just walk if he felt the law he had interpreted was right on his actions? Say it aint so.........

And why the sweating and personal take on this? Nobody including me has questioned anybodies right to bear arms, to carry a concealed weapon or to defend yourself. All I've questioned is some of your competence, your understanding of the use of deadly force and your preplanned ROEs. Oh, that's right those are areas we are lacking a bit............ :rolleyes:

Lastly you freedom fighters say "its none of our business" if you concealed carry or not while out FLYFISHING. Let's say just for shits and grin you are an idiot who has no training and then you have a ND on the river and one of us or our children is hit by a stray round while out flyfishing. Crazier things do and have happened. Then it becomes our business real fast. So you are out wading, rock hopping, hiking and climbing around me and my friends and family in a river with a loaded gun in your waders and I am the motherfucker for questioning and asking about your intententions, your training and your abilities? Getting pissed and flying off the handle when someone does question those things just shows your ass and how incompetent you really are. You are the folks that should have the CCP taken away.

How many of you have had a life threatening experience (other than drowning) while fishing?
Well one time my Cousin told our wives we would be back at camp before dark so not to worry. We forgot and didn't leave the river until dark. :hmmm:

About as close to Death as anyone would want to come.

You know, grizzly, tweaker, armed robber, suicide bomber...
Every weekend from Jan.1st until sometime mid April when I mention to my wife that the Steelhead fishing should be gettin' pretty good....:D

Sorry but there is not a pistol made that will stop a charging Brownie or Grizzly with no problem. The trouble with Bears, as I see it, is that most people will not wait long enough. With a pistol or a shotty you have to wait until they are inside 10 feet to have your best chance. I said chance, nothing is certain. By cutting loose at 25 feet you had better be damned good. Most people shoot for centre of mass, as in a person, but that is absolutely NOT the way to try and turn a charging animal.
BS. :rofl: If you can't hit a bear charging at full speed with a pistol, you're probably not going to hit it with a shotgun either. That's why I always lay down a perimeter of m-18s between my truck and the river. You can never be to carefull. :beer2:

Roper

Idiot Savant
Well one time my Cousin told our wives we would be back at camp before dark so not to worry. We forgot and didn't leave the river until dark. :hmmm:

About as close to Death as anyone would want to come.
There you have it, the one time you shoulda been packin'...:rofl:

Salmo_g

At least this thread is as entertaining as it is informational. I'm just pissed that I can't "legally" pop the perp that's broken into my storage shed and house under construction three times in the last four weeks. Even if I catch the dirt bag in the act, the Co. deputy says I can't even whack him with a club, let alone shoot the bastard dead. I thought what about connecting a live wire to the metal siding on the storage shed? No dice says the deputy. It'll just get me in a ton of trouble, even if the perp doesn't get hurt or killed from it. There is no justice I tell ya'.

My take on the packing and holster situation is that this country really began going down hill when we stopped hanging horse thieves. That was a bad move. Up until then, theft could be a capital crime. And as any cop will say, most of the crimes are committed by repeat offenders. Whack 'em and stack 'em I say; cuts way down on recidivism, not to mention the huge reduction in the crime rate. Not that I'm a cold-hearted kinda' guy or anything. But I'm short one Yamaha long shaft 4 stroke 4 hp kicker, a Stihl 031-AV chainsaw, a Porter Cable air compressor, and a spool of 12/2 wire.

Sg

Roper that's all I'm trying to say. Why in the hell do you feel the need to go flyfishing armed? But on a side note and very interesting is this article:

New Study Says Bear Spray Outperforms Guns
by Tom Chandler on March 29, 2008

From the formerly bikini-fishing-chick posting deviants at the Getoutdoors Blog (GoBlog) comes a Salt Lake Tribune story that suggests leaving the big, heavy firearm at home might be your best bet when it comes to bear protection:

If you’re roaming bear country, your best protection against an unpleasant encounter is a can of bear spray, not a gun, according to Brigham Young University wildlife biologist Tom Smith.

Smith’s team, which included Stephen Herrero, a world authority on bear attacks, has studied 600 bear encounters in Alaska over two decades. In 72 incidents in which bear spray was used properly, the bear stopped charging more than 90 percent of the time, according to a study Smith published in the April edition of the Journal of Wildlife Management. People using guns, by contrast, stood a one-in-three chance of failing to deter the bear, according to an earlier study.

Bear attacks aren’t exactly a problem in the Mt Shasta area, and while I’ve seen bears a half-dozen times up here, they’ve always been headed in the opposite direction. And frankly, I’d hope the smell of human waste drives bears away, because I’d likely soil myself if a bear ever did charge.

Still, it’s food for thought for the upcoming Montana road trip, though it’s possible that just being fast enough to outrun your fishing buddy is defense enough.

See you in the pepper aisle, Tom Chandler.

Sorry, I forgot about this article I read a while back. I waited to add it here at the end. Thought I'd throw it in as some final food for thought.:beer1: Coach

I have two teenage daughters who, while usually are wonderful kids, sometimes are at each others throats. You know how women can keep going at each other in a circular kind of way, not giving an inch? They learn that early and practice often. Well, tonight was one of those "sometimes" and I just chuckled my way through the fight.
Thankyou gentlemen.

Carrying a concealed firearm while fishing is no different then shoving your ideology down every ones throat with two page blathering posts. Neither is necessary but both are rights granted to us as U.S. citizen. Give it up already and look into an anger management course.

QUOTE: " it’s possible that just being fast enough to outrun your fishing buddy is defense enough! Of all your great advice and insight....that's the best"! And to what's your name, I doubt the Coach ever got angry over any of this, probably had a lot of good laughs! Nobody forced you to read it!

Trent

Ugly member
What? It's not black and white? You mean if AS I AM tells the prosecutor that he was in the right, and kills someone who attacked him while he was flyfishing:D:D:D:D (I know, the whole concept is funny boys) he doesn't just walk if he felt the law he had interpreted was right on his actions? Say it aint so.........QUOTE]

Coach Duff, you should really relax and work on your reading comprehension man. Here, I will explain this nice and slow for you. If you actually read what I have posted you would realize just how stupid you sounded just there. For one, I have stated more than once that I prefer to avoid a fight and that I would try to get away from the situation first.

Two, I clearly stated in a prior post that a firearm is my last resort and that it is only to be used in self defense. I will not put myself at risk legally or to be pursued through litigation for someone else unless they are immediate family. Yes, that means if some teller is about to get shot, I will most likely just stand there out of site and mind and take mental notes to give to the police. That alone says you have difficulty comprehending what others say, or that you just don’t read there post fully (selective reading is just like selective listening).

Third, your lack of understanding in legal matters is disappointing; someone with all your experience should at least have some form of basic understanding. Legally you cannot shoot someone unless there is imminent threat to your life. I highly suggest Coach Duff, that before you go giving people advice on lethal force that you become familiar with the law. I suggest you read RCWs 9A.16.020, use of force-when lawful; and 9A.16.050, Homicide-By other person-when justifiable. I also think it would be a good idea for you to read 9A.16.010, Defenses-Definitions; this one covers “necessary” and “Deadly Force”. Look Duff, you can articulate a story all you want, but if you still killed someone illegally; guess what, you’re going to jail. Yes, as I have stated to you, I am fully aware of when to and when not to shoot someone. At least you won’t shoot someone for stealing something from your house, doing that would be illegal. The courts agree with you, property is not a “necessary” reason to shoot someone (god help someone if they are actually dumb enough to shoot someone fleeing with their XBOX out the window). You are only allowed to shoot them if they take a threatening poster against you. For example, charge you with a weapon or threaten to kill you and/or your family; they must possess a means to carry out that threat.

Never once did I say that I want to go around shooting people, I carry a gun “just in case I need it”. That means if I fall into the VERY RARE situation where I need one, I have one. Will it save my life, who knows, you should know that nothing is certain in dynamic situation, you have only ran through your list of credentials every other post it seems like. Look, I know the probability is low, but you are old enough to have been around and to have seen enough hot heads that would probably shoot you for something stupid (like fishing in “their spot”, or you supposedly “looked at them weird”. There are “some” wackos out there like that. Even though you may try your hardest to avoid them, sometimes you just get unlucky.

Look dude, I’m saying almost the exact same thing you are saying, I have been the whole time, I’m just not saying it in the way you like. I think you just have issues when it comes to admitting that you have probably made a mistake and jumped to conclusions. The only thing that I have been saying different than you is that military experience does not make you an expert. I think when I poked fun at you and Steely Dan for getting into a measuring contest, it was taken that I was being serious. Hint…hints…I was being sarcastic; probably half or more of the folks reading this thread have some sort of military background or some sort of resume they can post up and brag about.

Look man, we can probably do this pissing match forever, you seem to be just as pig headed and stubborn as I am. There, I said what I have been saying the whole time, only in more words and detail.

P.S. Isn't it funny how two people can argue the same points against each other by just using different language:rolleyes: