Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

NFR: How do you pack your firearm when fishing?

24K views 205 replies 54 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
NFR: How do you Conceal your firearm when fishing?

For those of you who CONCEAL heat, what is the most effective way to carry in waders,vest,etc?

I've seen pictures of dudes with chest holsters for their 44mag in AK, but how bout here in Washington?

Pics would be a plus!

Thanks! :thumb:

#4 ·
Just toss that M4's sling around your back. Show them you mean business.

Actually, I have a Navy Seals assault floatation vest I use for my pontoon fishing vest (it'll be at the Hoh event). No, I don't use it because it looks cool (which it does lol). But is functional. Has a good fit, lots of arm movement, floats with a heavy load on it (meant to carry grenades, full assault gear, and float the person), and lots of pockets to carry gear and camelback. BUT, they have a Coast Guard version that has a holster for the 92F out front. So you can kick out your spey rod, while thumbing the clip of your Beretta. LOL.

Ok, I DO NOT condone gun harassment. But I laughed at Charles response. I had a photoshopped version of my 16' cataraft that had a 50 cal mounted with rocket launchers mounted to the tubes. I had mentioned it as a joke and one of the computer gurus made it for me. Wish I had backed it up in a file before my last computer crashed.

And no, I don't carry usually.

#42 ·
Actually, I have a Navy Seals assault floatation vest I use for my pontoon fishing vest (it'll be at the Hoh event). No, I don't use it because it looks cool (which it does lol). But is functional. Has a good fit, lots of arm movement, floats with a heavy load on it (meant to carry grenades, full assault gear, and float the person), and lots of pockets to carry gear and camelback. BUT, they have a Coast Guard version that has a holster for the 92F out front. So you can kick out your spey rod, while thumbing the clip of your Beretta. LOL.
Jerry, what model floatation vest is that? I used to have an OD one that was very nice, but its floatation sucked. If I could find one that was a better floatation option I'd consider it.

I was at the tailout below the Elbow on the NF Stilly years ago and ran into a well known steelheader. Actually has written some books. I noticed he was wearing a gun. I asked him what the hell he was wearing it for, laughing as I asked him. You know kind of silly like. He mentioned something about Army infrantry or some thing and "protection". I then asked him if he knew what the 21 foot rule was. We were taught at one of the SF schools I attended that if a man is 21 feet or less away from you and you have a holstered weapon it is impossible to get the weapon unholstered and out to defend youself if the guy rushes you as fast as he can with bad intentions. Now the exeception to the rule is of if you are well trained and pretty strong and understand the concepts and applications of weapons retention. He asked me what the hell I was talking about. I then broke it down and told him that what that means is that the gun looked really "cool":rolleyes: but that anybody who wanted to could shove it right up his ass before he got the stupid thing out and used it for whatever reason. He walked away redfaced. I walked away laughing at the ridiculousness of the whole situation. Coach
Coach speaks the truth. I used to teach this and all my gung ho younsters always thought they could get theirs out and pump the "old man" (which is what they called me) with simunition rounds. Honestly, I'm no badass, see my avatar. None could pop me with those rounds before I could either take their gear or otherwise compromise their capabilities. It is generally taught with regards to someone approaching you with a bladed weapon, but hand to hand tactics work that way too. The only way to beat the 21' rule is to be robot like quick and even the best humans will not always get it done, or create enough space in tactical retreat to get yours out and fill up center mass.

Shoulder rig, just under the top of the waders.

And I practice drawing from it, just like I do my other holsters.
Peter, best of luck finding a comfortable and useful holster/vest. I highly recommend that you practice practice practice with whatever holster you decide on. Some of my law enforcement staff always thought it was cool to get the latest and greatest holsters but if they could not use them effectively then they did not get one from the armory.

#7 ·
http://shopruger.com/webapp/wcs/sto...d=-1&parent_category_rn=13682&lastCatId=13682

This product is the "end all, be all" in fishing holsters. Even has a velcro fly patch on it, and a zinger This particular set up is for a ruger alaskan, a very powerfull snubby revolver chambered in .454 cassul or .44 mag. If you do enough research yuo can find the company that manufactures this holster for ruger, they make the same outfit for automatics as well. Definitely watch the "product video" assiciated with this holster as you can tell its designed around wearing waders.

There is also another outfit called "grizzly tough" holsters. You might check them out.

#8 ·
By the way, I was going to buy that super redhawk alaskan, and the holster, untill my jeep blew up, if i see someone on the river wearing it, I may be hurt beyond repair, however, I know this is the right thing to do. LOL

#9 ·
It really depends on the type fishing and hiking you'd be doing, whether concealment is a consideration, etc. One rule of thumb if you're wading a lot is to stay away from leather, if it gets wet it won't readily dry. A thumb break is a needed if you're clambering over rocks or downed trees. What would you be carrying?

#10 ·
Up on the Skagit your buddies better be carrying also. If you need a weapon it will more then likely be to defend yourself from meth lab operators and they are going to be armed up pretty good. Your 6 shot revolver or 9 auto ain't going to cut it. Better have a couple of 8 shot 12s with some #4 buck in them for this kind of work. The other threat would be the occaisional sled with 3 or 4 bubbas in it. You can tell which sled I am talking about because at least one guy is going to have on a red plaid hunting shirt. Anyway, every guy in the boat will be armed and the boat itself will likely carry at least one 270 or a 12. Once again you are severely under gunned with you 44 wheel. So take some armed friends along if you think there is any chance of getting into an upriver fire fight.

#13 ·
I was at the tailout below the Elbow on the NF Stilly years ago and ran into a well known steelheader. Actually has written some books. I noticed he was wearing a gun. I asked him what the hell he was wearing it for, laughing as I asked him. You know kind of silly like. He mentioned something about Army infrantry or some thing and "protection". I then asked him if he knew what the 21 foot rule was. We were taught at one of the SF schools I attended that if a man is 21 feet or less away from you and you have a holstered weapon it is impossible to get the weapon unholstered and out to defend youself if the guy rushes you as fast as he can with bad intentions. Now the exeception to the rule is of if you are well trained and pretty strong and understand the concepts and applications of weapons retention. He asked me what the hell I was talking about. I then broke it down and told him that what that means is that the gun looked really "cool":rolleyes: but that anybody who wanted to could shove it right up his ass before he got the stupid thing out and used it for whatever reason. He walked away redfaced. I walked away laughing at the ridiculousness of the whole situation. Coach

#20 ·
There's a name for that concept that came from law enforcement, however my mind isn't working yet this AM. When I ran IDPA matches we'd shoot that as part of a match. We'd set a target at 21' and a shot timer to beep at 1.5 seconds. At the start signal the shooter would have 1.5 seconds to draw from concealment using a carry holster and hit the target center mass. It's not impossible by any means but it is hard for amateurs and would be difficult in a stressful situation without a great deal of focus.

Also that story illustrates the problem with open carry. If your concern is with human predators open carry could very likely make you a target rather than serving as a deterrent.

#21 ·
In that case youre better off leaving the pistol in the holster and going "jake dempsey" on that ass. id venture to say that most tweakers dont have the balls to rush a man unless he looks like Ned Flanders. I'd love to see someone rush Mike Wilson on this board. Nothing like a malnutritioned tweaker vs. a former All American HVYWT wrestler.

#30 ·
I take it Mike is a big guy.
Not so big mid stream tho, half in water, wearing waders, maybe a thong. :) See Mike run...
I was thinking big guys don't usually have confrontations but, some small guys, maybe even tweakers, have a chip on their shoulder. Dangerous if packing.

#23 ·
if you are thinking about AK fishing, you need to think about buddy fishing. when you do this, one person is ALWAYS on bear watch with an 8 shot 12ga loaded with slugs. your 44 is a pea shooter on an enraged brownie. might make you feel invinciable but if the need arose you'd likely be dead or damaged meat.

around here? read the coaches story and then decide.

#24 ·
Around here I carry a SW.22 Kit gun in my back. It is not for protection but I am not above putting a Grouse in the back of my vest if I get the chance.

#25 ·
Open carry is preferable.
I open carry in an Uncle Mikes nylon holster on my hip.
Have a dedicated nylon duty belt for it.
I concealed carry in the chest pocket of my waders or right hand pocket of my jacket with fishing in more populated areas.
Open carry invites more 'commentary' that I don't want or need...(see Coach Duff)
That chest holster looks like a pretty slick deal.

#80 ·
I am not going to insult your intelligence with a play by play of my post....
The only reason for concealed on the river or in the woods is to head off any 'Coach Duff' sticking-my-nose-where-it-doesn't-belong expert commentary.
I have been shooting handguns since 1970.
Bullseye indoor competition since 1977.
IPSC and IDPA since 2001.
First SteelyDan album purchased...AJA in 1978.
I'm really tired of seeing these gun posts deteriorate into self-indulgent rants.
I'm done on this thread.
BTW, Newb to flyfishing....not firearms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.