Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

NFR: How do you pack your firearm when fishing?

24K views 205 replies 54 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
NFR: How do you Conceal your firearm when fishing?

For those of you who CONCEAL heat, what is the most effective way to carry in waders,vest,etc?

I've seen pictures of dudes with chest holsters for their 44mag in AK, but how bout here in Washington?

Pics would be a plus!

Thanks! :thumb:

#151 ·
OMFG! This has gotten so out of hand.

Ropers reality check:

How many of you have had a life threatening experience (other than drowning) while fishing?
You know, grizzly, tweaker, armed robber, suicide bomber...

Have you ever fished an area know for any of the above?

How many have drawn down on one of the above?

If a building was on fire, would you run inside...?

Anybody gettin' my drift yet...?

#153 ·
How many of you have had a life threatening experience (other than drowning) while fishing?
Well one time my Cousin told our wives we would be back at camp before dark so not to worry. We forgot and didn't leave the river until dark. :hmmm:

About as close to Death as anyone would want to come.

#157 ·
At least this thread is as entertaining as it is informational. I'm just pissed that I can't "legally" pop the perp that's broken into my storage shed and house under construction three times in the last four weeks. Even if I catch the dirt bag in the act, the Co. deputy says I can't even whack him with a club, let alone shoot the bastard dead. I thought what about connecting a live wire to the metal siding on the storage shed? No dice says the deputy. It'll just get me in a ton of trouble, even if the perp doesn't get hurt or killed from it. There is no justice I tell ya'.

My take on the packing and holster situation is that this country really began going down hill when we stopped hanging horse thieves. That was a bad move. Up until then, theft could be a capital crime. And as any cop will say, most of the crimes are committed by repeat offenders. Whack 'em and stack 'em I say; cuts way down on recidivism, not to mention the huge reduction in the crime rate. Not that I'm a cold-hearted kinda' guy or anything. But I'm short one Yamaha long shaft 4 stroke 4 hp kicker, a Stihl 031-AV chainsaw, a Porter Cable air compressor, and a spool of 12/2 wire.

Sg

#158 ·
Roper that's all I'm trying to say. Why in the hell do you feel the need to go flyfishing armed? But on a side note and very interesting is this article:

New Study Says Bear Spray Outperforms Guns
by Tom Chandler on March 29, 2008

From the formerly bikini-fishing-chick posting deviants at the Getoutdoors Blog (GoBlog) comes a Salt Lake Tribune story that suggests leaving the big, heavy firearm at home might be your best bet when it comes to bear protection:

If you’re roaming bear country, your best protection against an unpleasant encounter is a can of bear spray, not a gun, according to Brigham Young University wildlife biologist Tom Smith.

Smith’s team, which included Stephen Herrero, a world authority on bear attacks, has studied 600 bear encounters in Alaska over two decades. In 72 incidents in which bear spray was used properly, the bear stopped charging more than 90 percent of the time, according to a study Smith published in the April edition of the Journal of Wildlife Management. People using guns, by contrast, stood a one-in-three chance of failing to deter the bear, according to an earlier study.

Bear attacks aren’t exactly a problem in the Mt Shasta area, and while I’ve seen bears a half-dozen times up here, they’ve always been headed in the opposite direction. And frankly, I’d hope the smell of human waste drives bears away, because I’d likely soil myself if a bear ever did charge.

Still, it’s food for thought for the upcoming Montana road trip, though it’s possible that just being fast enough to outrun your fishing buddy is defense enough.

See you in the pepper aisle, Tom Chandler.

Sorry, I forgot about this article I read a while back. I waited to add it here at the end. Thought I'd throw it in as some final food for thought.:beer1: Coach

#159 ·
I have two teenage daughters who, while usually are wonderful kids, sometimes are at each others throats. You know how women can keep going at each other in a circular kind of way, not giving an inch? They learn that early and practice often. Well, tonight was one of those "sometimes" and I just chuckled my way through the fight.
Thankyou gentlemen.

#162 ·
QUOTE: " it’s possible that just being fast enough to outrun your fishing buddy is defense enough! Of all your great advice and insight....that's the best"! And to what's your name, I doubt the Coach ever got angry over any of this, probably had a lot of good laughs! Nobody forced you to read it!

#167 ·
I have one question. Not really on the topic but what this thread has turned into. Someone breaks into my house while I am alseep, isnt that a threat? If I am awken from my sleep by someone in my house, the first thing that comes to my mind is grab the 12 gauge, for all I know he is armed with intent to use, after all he broke in. Am I supposed to ask "Now what are your intentions sir?" before I act?

#168 ·
I have one question. Not really on the topic but what this thread has turned into. Someone breaks into my house while I am alseep, isnt that a threat? If I am awken from my sleep by someone in my house, the first thing that comes to my mind is grab the 12 gauge, for all I know he is armed with intent to use, after all he broke in. Am I supposed to ask "Now what are your intentions sir?" before I acting?
I'm not going to tell you what to do, but I will say what my instructors said when they described this. He/she has to be posing a imminent threat to you. This could include moving toward you in a threatening manner or using verbal threats (must posses a means to carry out threat). On a side note; Washington state is a "Stand your ground" state, you are not expected to flee. The law also reconizes that "your home is your castle", this means that you have the right to defend it, you are not expected to flee from your home, period. This does not give you the OK to shoot a thief who is fleeing, that is murder.

#174 ·
#179 ·
Gator, that is me, not Howie Mandel. I lost a bet, and not to Coach either. I don't have issues with Coach, he makes very valid points as do so many others. Sometimes people have different presentations in how they make those points. Those differences are a result of our collective life experiences and priorities. I'm not judging or keeping score, but there have been many informative posts here and if people get thier hackles up, knickers in a twist or panties in a bunch then they likely are stonewalling a subject or better yet actually thinking more about it.

My new outfit is my commitment not to conceal...although not nearly as awesome as Mr. Mingo's recent post.

#176 ·
I want to thank "As I am" for all the info he has provided.
The one question he has not answered is who he really is? Only 102 posts no real name.
I'm right up front and center, you know my name and where I live.
So "As I am" if you want the others in this group to listen to your info.
Step up to the plate and hit a homer. Or step out of the shadows and up to the camp fire, have a cold one with the rest of the boys.

#181 ·
NFR
We here in Chelan Co. have had one gang related murder and another shooting in the last couple months.
This is a sad, many of these gang types are out at the local fishing hole with the non-gang folks.
I can see some spill over might happen then I might wish I had my heater with me.

#182 ·
The odds are that most people will never be in a situation where a gun becomes necessary for self defense. But, that is weak consolation to anyone that has ended up in such a situation and wished that they had had access to a gun. If you don't feel comfortable or justified in carrying a gun, then don't. But remember that that is YOUR personal decision and is NOT grounds for judging another person's decision to the contrary.

Intention for concealed carry can be as complicated as the countless personal justifications for wanting a means of self defense, to as simple as not wanting to leave one's weapon in the car where it is subject to theft. The decision to carry is very personal and not anyone else's business. And, despite the attempt to portray the gun-toting angling segment of the public as a bunch of "Rambo's", what percentage of the angling public or public in general has been slaughtered by those trigger-happy, irresponsible, untrained Rambo's?!

#184 ·
It might be an aberration, but with the "recession" going on people are losing jobs. This leads to more drastic measure to get cash. In Snohomish county, car thefts have gone through the roof. Burglaries, also have a trend in going up when times are hard. This means that your sage rod could end up at the local pawn shop (had to through something in there to make it fishing related). Also, statistically summers are when more violent crime takes place, this is due to that more people are out and about usually. My suspiscion is that burglary and Robbery will get higher this summer if things don't improve in the economy. Especially if gas prices sky-rocket again.

#185 ·
The truth is, random acts of violence occur every day.
Guess why they're called 'random'.
Right now...somewhere, someone is facing a violent encounter and they have no means to defend themselves.
The point is, if it's me, I don't want to shit my pants thinking I could have been better prepared.
That's all.
What delusions of invulnerability make people think carrying a weapon is a bad idea?
I just don't get it.
Must be the opposite of paranoia....but shit happens to people every day.

#187 ·
Posted by steelydan (for some reason my quote button link didn't work.:confused:)
The truth is, random acts of violence occur every day.
Guess why they're called 'random'.
Right now...somewhere, someone is facing a violent encounter and they have no means to defend themselves.
The point is, if it's me, I don't want to shit my pants thinking I could have been better prepared.
That's all.
What delusions of invulnerability make people think carrying a weapon is a bad idea?
I just don't get it.
Must be the opposite of paranoia....but shit happens to people every day.
"Delusions of invulnerability?" I call it a feeling of security. It must be pretty bleak world when you're out fishing worrying about random acts of violence.

I'm not saying carrying a weapon is necessarily a bad idea. A practical idea, however, it is not. Although I fully support you're right to do so as long as you're properly trained and licensed. As As I am noted, if you aren't trained and mentally prepared to use it and you freeze up in a threatening situation, that weapon is doing you no good.
-Ethan

#188 ·
Posted by steelydan (for some reason my quote button link didn't work.:confused:)

"Delusions of invulnerability?" I call it a feeling of security. It must be pretty bleak world when you're out fishing worrying about random acts of violence.

I'm not saying carrying a weapon is necessarily a bad idea. A practical idea, however, it is not. Although I fully support you're right to do so as long as you're properly trained and licensed. As As I am noted, if you aren't trained and mentally prepared to use it and you freeze up in a threatening situation, that weapon is doing you no good.
-Ethan
I didn't say anything about training. Even someone who is mentally prepared, properly trained, and who posess alot of experiance, can still have a brain fart, be caught off gaurd or just not be prepared. Like it has been aid, when out fishing you are not thinking about fighting, you are thinking about fishing. A violent attack can still take you off gaurd, ecspecially if you are not expecting it. A random act of violence is just that, random. I was merely stating that anybody and everybody posses the ability to freeze up.

#190 ·
From today's Seattle Times.

It's a f...ed up world.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008882260_webattack18m.html
Vancouver father and son wanted in skier attack

By The Associated Press

STEVENSON - Arrest warrants have been issued for a Vancouver man and his son accused of attacking a cross-country skier, taking his car and leaving him for dead.

The Skamania County sheriff's office says the warrants want Michael Collins and his son Teven Collins held for investigation of attempted murder and robbery.

Detectives believe the two fled after the Feb. 9 attack and traveled from southwest Washington through Oregon and California.

The sheriff's office says the case will be shown Saturday on a segment of "America's Most Wanted."

Officials say 52-year-old Robert Kevin Tracey of Washougal might have died if hikers had not found him about 17 miles from Washougal. He was covered with blood, shivering and barely able to speak.

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

#193 ·
A "feeling of security"... can it also be an "it can't happen to me" outlook? I, at present, don't carry, but am seriously re-assessing the situation. There was a time when I also felt absolutely no need to worry about my safety on the river. However, after having my rig broken into twice, and seeing the increased frequency of these type events along the river? I'm not contemplating concealed carry to deter theft on my vehicle, but rather thinking how this trend might elevate to the next level - how long before some meth-head, desperate for money, realizes that all those benign-looking fly guys driving their fancy new rigs and carrying those expensive gadgets may likely be carrying cash? Ever taken a good look at some of the river access sites recently? Seen needles laying around? How many times are you the last/only person to be coming into a boat launch or access area in the dark? If/when some jackhole robs/assaults/kills an angler under such circumstances, I foresee that it would PROBABLY only happen a time or two before some law enforcement approach is devised to quell the situation. But, I sure don't want to be that "first" that ends up being "sacrificed" to bring attention to the situation. The days of the river being populated only by sportsman and country-folk are long gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.