Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

NFR: How do you pack your firearm when fishing?

24K views 205 replies 54 participants last post by  Jim F. 
#1 ·
NFR: How do you Conceal your firearm when fishing?

For those of you who CONCEAL heat, what is the most effective way to carry in waders,vest,etc?

I've seen pictures of dudes with chest holsters for their 44mag in AK, but how bout here in Washington?

Pics would be a plus!

Thanks! :thumb:

#195 ·
And sure, if someone is intent on laying in wait to ambush you, even a person with the best handgun training isn't going to be able to make the best use of said weapon. The fact is, one cannot expect to be able to cover all contingencies - but this certainly DOES NOT render ALL the possibilities into an impossible to be prepared for classification. When it comes right down to it, the odds of being killed by lightning are incredibly small, and in actuality there is nothing that can prevent lightning from striking whatever it decides to hit, but would any of you out there then disregard taking any "preventative measures" if there was a thunderstorm in the area?!

#196 ·
I used to have a concealed weapons permit but let it expire. I like to visit the wateringhole on a regular basis and being a law abiding citizen it got a little old stashing the glock outside in the bushes or burying it in the dirt before going in. Now I fish with a VZ-58 strapped over my back but the barrel is starting to rust a little from being in the water all the time while I am wading.

#197 ·
One last comment, from another time in my life, then I've had my say...

I had a friend, comes home one day (suburb of Detroit) to notice that the cords to his stereo were unplugged (situational awareness, thank goodness). He gets an uneasy feeling, pulls his 357 revolver from out of its hiding place, cocks the gun, and turns towards the living room closet because he hears a noise . At that instant an intruder comes bursting out of the living room closet just so many feet away. *** fires his gun and drops the ****** in his tracks - dead (later he told me that contrary to the flying-off-the-feet impact shown in movies, this guy, a 260 pounder, literally crumpled/folded and dropped when hit). No training, just luck. Point being that *** had a gun when he needed it, and sure Lady Luck was on his side, but Lady Luck with no gun... well, we'll never know what that outcome would've been. As an aside, I asked *** if he had any regrets over killing that guy. "**** no!" was his answer as "that ************ was gonna kill me!"

#199 ·
License?

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

I stay away from iminent danger if at all possible whenever possible, fishing, working, whatever. The one place I carry has a little more risk than driving to work or walking down the street that's all. I've picked up needles in the area and passed by lots of transient camps. Maybe you think I'm stupid for even going there, but remember, there are ladies walking their dogs too. :rofl:

#201 ·
I am after the Redbands!

Live and let live. Catch and release. Don't tread on me.

With all due respect gentlemen, this has been one of the most thought provoking and interesting discussions for a while (for me).

I'm done with my last final exam. Time to relax.:beer1:

#202 ·
By the way to all involved in a sometimes heated post. If I push things it's to get people to really think deep and to draw on as much life as possible. Guns are a right I belive in but also a real thing that must be respected. I think in the end we agreed on a lot of things. The journey to get there was bumpy but such is life and such is interaction between opinionated pastionate folks. I hold no grudges (even to Alaskan guides:D) and only try to share my life experience which has been at times a bit on the rough side. I have never said it is the only way or the right way, it is the way I know and at times try to keep other folks from having to endure. So to Steely Dan, AS I AM, Mike T, and anybody else I engaged in verbal battle with, thanks for an incredible challenging post on a very real subject and remember that is what this is supposed to be about. Even if it gets uncomfortable at times. And Mumbles if my intensity made you naked I'm sorry, GET SOME CLOTHES ON!

Tight lines and my vote for post of the year. Coach
See ya next time you bastards!:beer2::beer2::beer2::beer2::beer2:

#205 ·
Sign posted outside of house.
The family next door does not believe in the right to bear arms. To respect their belief, I will not use my guns to protect their home and family. I will my own.

By the way like the holster that does not look like one many pages ago. I feel that worth a look if you plan to carry in the woods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.