( NFR ) Just curious what everyone does for a living??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, Dec 11, 2003.

1. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Warehouse manager for a hardware whole sale company.Its 50 hour plus work weeks but 3 weeks a vacation a year & weekends free. Pay is ok but not no 6 figures, or even close, but the stress level is not high either. Able to fish after work weekdays when sun is out till at least 8:30 PM otherwise on weekends is when I put my time on the water.
    Took me 15 years to get where I am in my company. Had to work for company for lots of years at $6-9 per hour first.
    Before that worked Grocery for $12 so I have gone through a major pay cut so far once in my life. It really took some getting use to but you do get through it. Beside I got tired of never knowing what days I would be working from week to week. Now I can plan weekend trips months in advance.

2. fishtech

fishtech God, I love fishing!

I am a Vice President of a Technical College. Have you thought about teaching what you have been learning for the last 10 years? Also, as you consider a career change, do not overlook a two-year degree. I have all of the post graduate degrees - a couple of masters and a doctorate -- but would suggest looking at adding value to what you already have. Sometimes a shorter, career focused program is best.

What ever you do, find what you are passionate about and go for it! You are not alone.

My 2 cents worth.

3. speycast

speycast Guest

Hey Patrick,

I am a semi-retired :rofl: federal agent, 7 years law enforcement, and 6 1/2 years working as an adjudicator for the Veterans Administration.

I am fortunate enough to have met a lady, whom I married, who agreed that I should leave law enforcement and fish! I think for peace of mind and as well as we are expecting our first child in April.

At first I missed the weapon :bawling:, the badge and the authority that came with all those things. Now, I don't even think about them. I think about fishies!!!!!!

I AM SPOILED ROTTEN! :dunno:

Should we ever hook up I'll fill you in on the details.

this is speycast, one lucky son of a gun! :beer1:

4. Jason

Jason Trout Bum

Sounds like a Tech college. That's what I did. Actually thought about teaching where I went. Still might.

5. Joe Smolt

Joe Smolt Member

Ph.D. in Chemistry, which meant I went to school for a real long time to learn a lot about one subject until ultimately I learned everything about nothing.

But seriously, there is a book people often use in your situation called What Color Is Your Parachute. This book helps you better understand yourself and the types of things you like to do without calling out a specific career option. You can then find the fit regardless of the job title. This is a popular book that often comes as a new issue every few years. This book is really desgined to help folks who are looking to change career paths. I am sure a local library would have one. It wasn't necessarily for me. I know who I am. I'm a geek through and through, and I am OK with that.

Joe

6. Florian Leischner

Florian Leischner o_clarki

( NFR ) Just curious what everyone does for a livin...

I am a salmon biologist. I don't manage harvest or hatcheries, but rather plant trees, throw fish carcasses and wood into rivers, and take out man-made dikes, levees and culverts.
    As a kid I always loved playing in creeks, lakes, and puddles and now I get paid doing it. :thumb
    The pay is ok, but mostly I love what I am doing and I learn something new about salmon every day.

7. TomB

TomB Active Member

freshmen undergrad- still haven't fully come to understand that someday not too far off I will have to be a bread winner for myself.
    -Thomas

8. Backyard

Backyard SANCHO!

i sell stuff to kids that break their bones.

skate/snowboard shop owner by day evil scientist by night.

actually i don't like it much and want to open a bar.

9. Coho

Coho Member

Pat:

I started off college life back in 1977 as an 18 year old flyfishing obsessed undergrad, enrolled in the UW school of Fisheries. Fortunately, (or perhaps unfortunately) a counselor showed me the starting salary for BS and MS in Fisheries Biology, which convinced me to make fyfishing an avocation and not a vocation.

Fast forward through several years as a triathlon coach and then a commercial real estate broker, and now I am a financial advisor and shareholder in a wealth management firm on the Eastside.

I feel very fortunate because the job fits my personal and intellectual skills well, and the relationships I create with my clients are great, often to the point where they become good friends. Not a picnic, still put in lots of long days, and the initial start-up, as it is for any new business, was rather long and painful.

I have taken my flyfishing full circle from my college days as I frequently take clients and potential clients flyfishing in my drift boat, to the point where it is an integral part of my business.

TO echo some of the other thoughts - find what you love to do, and balance that with the financial needs of your family. Best wishes!

Coho

Hope you will have a fishing experience like the one in Luke Chapter 5:6-11 ! :)

10. FISHFACE

FISHFACE New Member

:thumb I have been a fire fighter for the city of Bellingham for 30 yrs.Been one hell of a job.
    Spose I should retire but then what would I do.
    Fish? Tie flies? or Tie flies and fish.

11. jabseattle

jabseattle jabs

Very good question.

It seems I can’t make heads or tails on where I want to do as of lately. Couple years back I ran (basically a NW Manager) a third party collection agency (yes I started in the industry being a brutal collector myself fits my personality to a T) that finally went out of business (no fault of how it was run but majority holders…hmmm General E****…. decided it was not as profitable as they would like and cut their ties). Still resenting this situation, especially the pay.

Anyways since I never finished school decided to go back for IT classes, but couldn’t really see myself working my way from bottom to top again. So I went back on track to finish some kind of degree. I like numbers so I’m trying to complete an Accounting degree, but I still have time to change my mind.

Right now I’m a supervisor of the credit/collection division of a finance department for the world’s largest digital imagery provider company that is based out of Seattle.

I never thought I had passion for pictures, but it does wear on you. Especially some of pictures that I see posted on this site. I always wanted to start my own gym or something along that line. You never know it still may happen. What ever you decide many people I talk to ask me the same thing. What is your passion?

A couple years back I was set on becoming a firefighter. Today I actually looked into when the next tests are set to begin. Good luck bro

12. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Patrick, I did 44 years in the metal trades, machinist then plastic injection mold maker, tool and die maker and the last 18 years as a prototype model maker for an R&D lab. I fished everything I could reach during those years and often took a day off without pay if the hatch demanded. I lived on 80% of what I made, banked the rest, invested, scrimped and did with less to retire early. My three years of retirement have been the best three years of my life-no contest. The best advice I can give in retrospect is to avoid debt-it is a form of imprisonment that inhibits opportunity. Forego all the consumer crap that needs to be updated constantly, the mega-house, the expensive cars and all the keeping-up-with-the-Jones' mentality that we are all supposed to buy into. Look for a job that allows you to do things rather than just buy things. Time spent with friends and family in beautiful places will ultimatly be worth more than consumer goods that will be sold in a yard sale in a few years for pennies on the dollar.
    You have the band width to pull this off successfully. Just take your time and keep your eyes open, eventually the right opportunity will come along and you will be ready for it. Take good care, Ive

13. rockymountain_brown

rockymountain_brown Senore Member

I am what almost all of you had been at my age, a college fly-fishing bum. I reside in Montana, go to school 3 days a week and fish 3 days a week. What a great life. Almost have a degree in bus. management. Not sure if I want to go on to graduate school.
    There sure are a lot of computer oriented people that are members!
    RMB

14. troutman101

troutman101 Member

I am the sales and maketing manager for an outdoor manufacturer in Seattle.

I also design new innovative things. It is fun.:thumb

15. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

New River Mike

Great question, and some really great and thought-provoking answers.

I started out after college as a teacher and baseball coach, and realized after three years that my idealism had been stripped away by the harsh realities of public education. Eventually stumbled my way into manufacturing, doing a variety of things over several years that resulted in my eventually "specializing" in procurement and materials management. There's still a part of me that likes that action! Decided to get to the other side of the desk, so to speak,and spent three years representing a manufacturer of environmentally specialized electrical products, working from home and enjoying the autonomy and travel.

When I came out west I acted on the fact that I still missed the younger folks and ended up working in a runaway shelter/crisis center dealing with at-risk adolescents and their parents/caregivers.

Now I've moved in support of the wife's career and I'm looking for more of the same over here. Or not. I'm pretty open to different or new or the same, as I don't think of myself as a worker first anymore. And, fortunately, in the shorter term, my wife's salary keeps us afloat.

As a backdrop, I leveraged somethig that started as a community service - mediation - to where I contract for a private firm providing this service in special education disputes. It draws from a lot of my experiences/stengths and I'm good at it, but it's sporadic at this time. I also umpire some baseball.

Next week, next month, I may have a different answer, but today the best I could offer is that if you're blessed with a wife who's financially and emotionally supportive, take some chances, try on some short-term or part-time things and try to turn the idea of work into play. Being a stay-at-home parent is a more than honorable choice for anyone; if we still had kids at home I could do that.

Don't discount volunteer opportunities that might give you a glimpse of some new things, especially if you have a bent towards human services. There's a need everywhere for Court-Appointed Special Advocates (CASA's) who represent state-dependent youth in dependency court. That's just ONE I'm familiar with. In fact, there's all kinds of needs out there once you start asking around.

Sorry to be long-winded, and it's obvious there's many, many takes on this subject.

Good for you for asking the question out loud!

:thumb