NFR: Lower Crab Creek System; Looking for some Advice

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by ryan2202, Mar 20, 2014.

?

Good Idea or Bad Idea

Poll closed Apr 10, 2014.
  1. Plan to Fish Nunnally, Merry, Lenice!

100.0%
  2. Do not plan, Merry isn't accessible

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ron Olsen

Ron Olsen Active Member

Bobby is still a very viable option. The area called Bobby actually breaks into a number of sub areas. The first (west end) is a pool with current that usually stays open and always has cruising fish. Second is a longer area, not very deep that does choke up. Next is a deeper pool that stays open, and can have good action around the edges. Finally, you get back to the eastern "headwaters" of Bobby/Nunnally. There is creek flow in from Merry, and also a number of springs. Gets really weedy, but water stays cool from the springs. It is great fun to cast into the springs, easy to see, and the fish will crush you fly. But then they head into the weeds, and its game off. Bobby can have some of the best dry fly action in the Nunnally area also as it is shelters, shallow, but has places for the fish to run and hide. And of course, if the wind is howling (gee, does it ever do that there?) Bobby can provide some haven.
    Due to all the weeds and shallow water, it is best to use a pontoon as fins can get really hung up. Don't expect big numbers back there, but a fun diversion from Nunnally.

Ronbow

ryan2202 and Irafly like this.
  2. ryan2202

ryan2202 Member

Fishing trip went just as expected! Arrived at Nunnally, late Friday afternoon; too windy to really get out and do anything in the Pontoon. With all my additions to the boat (fish finder, electric Trolling motor, and GoPro mount) I spent the evening in a cove, testing my set-up.
    Saturday was perfect; wind blowing form the North, sun, and a little clouds....even sprinkle rain for a couple minutes. Fishing was awesome of course. Captured some good video off the GoPro, now I get to edit it all. Fish ranged from 14" to 18", fat and healthy! I had one fish on, I wish i could get back. It was a Tiger Trout. Beautiful in color, very mature, fought hard, and spit the hook out just as I went to net him. That's what keeps me coming back of course.
    I didn't make it over to Lenice, but I did cover the whole Nunnally Lake; from west to east where the creek enters. Whatever was thrown at the fish, they took...didn't really matter the cover or type, they ate up them flies! Had a friend in the group even trolling with a frog jig, and he was successful. The group made out well on the trip!

The big observation was how low the water level was in Nunnally, some pockets even the pontoon was dragging through. Talked with one guy fishing who thought it may be from the Columbia being low at Wanapum Dam. Any other thoughts?!?

Starman77 likes this.
  3. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

It seems most lakes and rivers are lower than average this year. One particular lake I like to fish this time of year always has a waterfall that I enjoy looking at and hearing. It's suspiciously absent this year. While the lakes in question might very well be affected by the drawdown, it seems to be an eastern statewide epidemic this year. Way below average snowpack year. At least in my neck of the desert.

4. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    Well, the irrigation canals just started running so maybe some lakes will come up somewhat.

However, at our cabin at 3000 feet there was NO RUN-OFF this year. Everything just went into the ground and dried up.

Down at the main house it appears that wildflower season will be a bust due to lack of spring rains.

Thank God, for the Columbia River and Franklin Roosevelt for Grand Coulee Dam.....otherwise we might be in California!!

5. jwg

jwg Active Member

Thanks for the report

Interesting about the lake level

It is usually lower this early in the season and rises later as irrigation season gets into full swing.

but sound like it could be lower than normal

J

6. jwg

jwg Active Member

Wild flowers are going good here now in the Tri cities area and were out around lenice this weekend

J

7. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Gotta love the burst of color in the spring. The yellow bells we out a couple of weeks ago and the balsam was starting to show. The phlox should be showing up anytime.

8. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

They were at one time very worth the effort. Sadly I have given up on that area due to break ins and too many people.