NFR: No Rest For The Wicked

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Robert Engleheart, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Proving the old axiom and with some reticence, I am about to return to work after 1-1/2 years of retirement. It's been a good time but I've got an offer that's hard to refuse and I feel rather guilty as I'm not yet 60. Downside is the new job is 220 miles away and with 3 grandkids in this area, we're not interested in moving, so I'll be commuting on weekends. Upside is new office is less than 2 miles from American River below Folsom Lake and I've found lodging in Shingle Springs, 20 miles east of work. New digs are on 3 acres with a private WW lake and 10 miles from Chili Bar on the South Fork American with good trout fishing and whitewater rafting. The 1/2 lber's are starting on the American and the Yuba is about 50 miles north. I am excited about this new opportunity. Any WWF 'ers in the area? I'll have my Cat with me and have open seats in return for shuttle help and river knowledge (or not).

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I've been retired for 2 years now and Friday went down and turned in an application at the local sporting goods store. I have mixed feelings about it.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  3. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Sounds to me like you're still retired and now getting paid for it :D

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  4. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Almost, TIm. The job is the same as what I retired from, just @ HQ instead of in field. It'll be like getting back on a bike. Bad part is my winter camp on the Trinity will not be happening nor will trips to Orygun. Trade off for <2 years of that is it's about $900/mo. more in retirement and when it's over I'll roll right into early SS. Disposable income for bucket list fishing trips.....................

Kent Lufkin and constructeur like this.
  5. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Robert, I lived in Sacramento and Antelope for years. The commutes suck up highway 50, all the way to Shingle Springs and beyond, just so you're aware. When I left, that commute was just about an hour, and it hasn't gotten any better. The last 3 years or so, I commuted to Davis by Amtrack and folding bike, which was nice-if (not when) it was on time. Don't think that would be an option for folks on the highway 50 corridor, but there's a light rail train that drops you downtown. Bank the $$ for a trip to Kamchatka!

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man (NFR)

When I retired 14 years ago, I told myself that I would never work again. I'm still retired and going strong at no work. With my pension from the lazy "B" and my SS I can live comfortably. It's just that my wife likes to spend money. So in the end She works. It doesn't bother me the least.

tythetier and Terry Bare like this.
  7. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Alex MacDonald; Yeah I know 50 is a B!TC# but I can flex my hours (7-3 or earlier) and miss the worst of it and also get some evening fishing in. Also, there's a Park & Ride just a mile from the house in SS and it connects with light rail in Folsom, just a couple miles to Station about 1 mile or less from work. Have to check out schedules/fares. That Kamchatka trip is a very real possibility on next retirement along with some extended stays in BC where I may have to take Jeremy Floyd up on his most generous offer :).

constructeur likes this.
  8. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I know a few folks that have retired early, taken 3-5 years off to enjoy life w/o all the stress and hassle of work, then found some new part time work -- some for supplemental fun money, some just for something to do, some for both. I think what I'm looking forward to most is knowing you don't have to work if you really don't want to.

constructeur likes this.
  9. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

I make a couple trips to Lodi every year, usually one at Christmas and one in early summer. I'll let you know next time I plan to be down there and hopefully we can get together and fish.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G

Robert Engleheart likes this.
  10. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I retired early. Not by choice, but the job offers I was getting just were not worth it. Said good bye to the big city and moved to God's country. For the first couple of years, I asked myself would I go back to work if I had some ridiculous offer? So, what is quality time on the river worth? Time: the one thing that absolutely cannot be replaced! One never knows how much time they have left on this earth. I resolved my last days/hours are not going to be spent in pursuit of the almighty dollar!

freestoneangler likes this.
  11. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Speyfisher, you make a very good point, one that I have considered heavily. In my situation, I took early retirement at 58-1/2 as my field position was eliminated and I could stay but would have to move to HQ in Sacramento. I said "f' it and took retirement and it's been great; built a 14' Cataraft, took a tour of Oregon rivers last Spring, fished a lot, bought a sports car and spent the last 3 months baselining it and learning the nuances of "heel & toe and trailing braking" but I've always felt laid off and not truly retired, probably because I didn't go out under my terms. Ironically, my plan was to retire at 60, next Month, same time as I start my new job. As I am in good health and given my feelings, I decided to take the job for myself, not the money (tho it's good) and I can retire again at 62, just in time for SSI and my enhanced pension and SS income will pay for a lot of fishing trips w/o having to tap the 401/457. I've wanted to fish Argentina, Chile, Kamchatka, BC, Yugoslavia, Ireland & Scotland for a long time and this will help me do that and take the wife along to boot.
    be well and keep swinging.........

constructeur and speyfisher like this.
  12. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Yeah, my plan was to work until age 67, at which time my wife (past tense on that one) would have been 59 and could draw ss. When you get ready do do the UK & Scotland, send me a pm. I can give you some insight on that. And if Argentina = Tierra Del Fuego & sea run browns, that too. What kind of sports car did you get?

Attached Files:

13. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

Sweet, what is that; very nice!
    The red Miata below; 69K mile garage kept dry, adult owned with a Moss supercharger, low boost but reliable 50% power add. Not your typical hairdresser's Miata :D.

94 at Courtwright.jpg

speyfisher likes this.
  14. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

Nice! What the yellow thing is, contrary to what everyone thinks, Lambo, Lotis, not. It's a Pontiac Fiero with a body kit. Bone stock 2.8L V6. Which good enough for me.

15. FT

FT Active Member

Glad to see you got yourself a "real sports car" that has some power instead of the normal, somewhat underpowered, standard Miata, or what I refer to as a "secretary's car".

Me, I wanted one that has supercar capabilities, so me wife and I bought a 1991 ZR-1 Corvette 3.5 years ago. This is a true supercar from its era and is not far behind current supercars with its 180 + mph top speed.

There is nothing like having a 400+ bhp naturally aspirated, fuel injected car that has 1.0g cornering and is rev limited at 7300 rpm with a 6 speed manual to put a smile on your face. And as a bonus, it gives 25.5 mpg on the highway. As a 79 year old friend of mine who has owned one of these beasties since 1990 when they hit the market (they were made from 1990 to 1995 and literally had an MSRP equal to 2 standard corvettes did when new) says, "Life begins at 180." and "There is nothing like being able to break every speed limit in the country before you need to shift out of second gear. I just can't stretch its legs out to its 180 mph top speed on public roads.

speyfisher likes this.