Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR: No Solution, just dead kids...

31K views 369 replies 73 participants last post by  Chris Scoones 
#1 ·
Another nut job with a gun.

I have guns.
I respect the right to have guns.

If these were my children how would I feel about guns?
All I feel is sorrow for those that are gone and anger
towards those that did this.

America has a problem and we have no solution.

Dave

#2 ·
Jesus, that thing in CT.....

Just reading the news report made me start to stress out and grow a pit of bile and sorrow in my stomach.

Some days you just don't think the world can get any more insane. Then you are proven wrong.

I intend to drink tonight and I will raise glasses for all those I care about in my life and how short and precious that life is.

#4 ·

I have guns.

Dave
This will undoubtedly spark another round of gun control arguments, but the truth is
that it is not the gun that is the problem, it is the person behind it. Something has gone
terrible wrong with our society that these things can happen. I feel so helpless
and I am certain that others feel that way too. My deepest condolences to those families that
have lost so much today.

#12 ·
This will undoubtedly spark another round of gun control arguments, but the truth is
that it is not the gun that is the problem, it is the person behind it. Something has gone
terrible wrong with our society that these things can happen. I feel so helpless
and I am certain that others feel that way too. My deepest condolences to those families that
have lost so much today.
The guns he had were already illegal so I guess it doesn't really matter in the end anyway. What a sick fucker. I really hope there's a special place in hell for that pile of shit.

#5 ·
It's not just America my friend, it's a sick world out there! Thoughts and prayers to all the families and friends that are affected by this tragedy!

#6 ·

I have guns.

Dave
Dave I totaly agree with you. Just makes me want to vomit.

What will come of this? We don't need to hear the same old political circus crap.

These were innocent children..
Most likely children from parents of every political or religious identity. The bottom line is its irrelevant where they came from or who they were affilliated with.

They were children.

#10 ·
Sounds like something Wayne LaPierre would say. And then he won't ever discuss it.

#9 ·
Now we have a whole school of kids and teachers, traumatized for life, who will have to be relocated to another school once they feel safe enough to want to go out. You know the school won't be open to kids for a long time, if at all.

#15 ·
Roger Ebert (the movie critic) made the same point in his review of the movie 'Elephant':
Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. "Wouldn't you say," she asked, "that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?" No, I said, I wouldn't say that. "But what about 'Basketball Diaries'?" she asked. "Doesn't that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?" The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it's unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.
The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. "Events like this," I said, "if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn't have messed with me. I'll go out in a blaze of glory."
In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of "explaining" them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy.

#16 ·
Hell does have a placed reserved for these sick fucks. I only wish we could get them there faster. I have a three year old son and sat in front of the computer and cried, just cried, and then felt sick.

In regards to Gun control. Our house has firearms, to hunt with. The right to have those arms is a right. The right to have an automatic weapon that is used in the times of war is not a "right". SOmething like this happened in England several years ago, says a colleague. Parliment, the next day, outlawed automatic weapons. England hasn't had it happen since. Coincidence. No god damn way!

SHit like this does happen all over the world, especially in war time countries. However, for a country not in current civil war, it happens a hell of a lot here.

#18 ·
Hell does have a placed reserved for these sick fucks. I only wish we could get them there faster. I have a three year old son and sat in front of the computer and cried, just cried, and then felt sick.

In regards to Gun control. Our house has firearms, to hunt with. The right to have those arms is a right. The right to have an automatic weapon that is used in the times of war is not a "right". SOmething like this happened in England several years ago, says a colleague. Parliment, the next day, outlawed automatic weapons. England hasn't had it happen since. Coincidence. No god damn way!

SHit like this does happen all over the world, especially in war time countries. However, for a country not in current civil war, it happens a hell of a lot here.
What's an automatic weapon? You mean like a browning or remington auto shotgun?

#17 ·
How many of the older guys like me remember when many rural HS school parking lots had trucks with a gun rack in the back window with 2 or 3 firearms? My HS was like that in rural Wisconsin. During show and tell in grade school many brought their fathers' deer rifle to class to talk about it. Not one firearms related incident for over 50 years.

Of course now cannot walk with 500 ft of a school with a nail clippers in your packet for fear of being arrested.

Quite a few on here will immediately jump on with their anti 2nd amendment virtriol and pimp their agenda and not even consider the real issues in society.

Maybe after banning frearms look to start banning knives too

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/14/chinese-children-knife-primary-school

#23 ·
I for once agree with one of your posts! One thing to keep in mind is that back in these times (until the Reagan years) mental health was taken very seriously, and the government provided care and treatment for these types of people. Nowadays, the mentally ill have nowhere to go. Mental health is the first thing on the chopping block when budgets are slashed. Perhaps we should reconsider this tactic.

#19 ·
Sadly, our fellow Americans in the NRA and the GOP will insist that tragedies like this are the sole result of 'nut jobs' and that in the end, such killings are a small price to pay for our constitutional right to bear arms.

K

#20 ·
Those are semi automatic weapons, that you need to pull the trigger each time to release a shell filled with lead pellets, that can possible kill someone.

An automatic assault (shoulda put that word in there in the first place) is one in which the trigger is pulled and bullets continually are relased at an extremely rapid rate with the intent to kill.

Banning knives? I got the tongue in cheek there. I was logically voicing an opinion after a horrific event, and even gave an example of how a resolution worked for another country for the most part. And, you, you come on with a dumb ass comment about banning knives. I have a choice phrase for comments such as those in regards to times like these, but it is not tongue in cheek!

#22 ·
Those are semi automatic weapons, that you need to pull the trigger each time to release a shell filled with lead pellets, that can possible kill someone.

An automatic assault (shoulda put that word in there in the first place) is one in which the trigger is pulled and bullets continually are relased at an extremely rapid rate with the intent to kill.
You do realize automatic weapons are already illegal right? These so called "assault" weapons you speak of are semi-automatic.

#29 ·
As a teacher at an elementary school who also serves on the safety committee of our school, these things particularly hit home for me. Because of it and my tendency to struggle with an overemphasized sense of empathy I need to back away from these moments in an almost callous way. I can't for a second allow myself to compare these children and teachers to my own students and colleagues. That creates far too powerful and image. Instead I will once again use this as another example of why teaching children powerful coping mechanisms is so important. But regardless of mental health improvement or gun control or better yet bullet control (are the bullets for these things also illegal?) these things will continue to happen now and then. Response then becomes of the utmost importance.

Take care of yourselves folks and help your kids to be happy but not coddled, there is a line there that is healthy.

Good luck and I wish you all well. I will be fishing tomorrow...

#30 ·
How many of the older guys like me remember when many rural HS school parking lots had trucks with a gun rack in the back window with 2 or 3 firearms? My HS was like that in rural Wisconsin. During show and tell in grade school many brought their fathers' deer rifle to class to talk about it. Not one firearms related incident for over 50 years.

I'm one of the older guys that remembers that. I grew up in NE Oregon. All the boys in school also carried a pocket knife... usually a Cub Scout pocket knife.

BTW: I'm also a gun owner and they are part of my heritage but I can go either way when it comes to restricting assault weapons. However, the guy at the grade school was using handguns and not an assault rifle.

#33 ·

I'm one of the older guys that remembers that. I grew up in NE Oregon. All the boys in school also carried a pocket knife... usually a Cub Scout pocket knife.

BTW: I can go either way when it comes to restricting assault weapons but the guy at the grade school was using handguns and not an assault rifle.
Yeah, was the same where I grew up and I'm not that old. I think it was actually technically against school policy then, but no one really gave a shit as long as it was hunting season.

The handguns were illegal for him to posess. So was the .223 bushmaster they found in his trunk. It's also a criminal offense in CT to whomever let this lunatic get his hands on those weapons since he is under the age of 21. Not sure what the penalty for that is

#31 ·
Reports say 27 dead, including the gunman. A very sad day. I feel badly for the kids in Connecticut and their parents who will have to try to explain this to them. I hope my grandson in first grade doesn't hear about it; sometimes it's just better to wait until kids are a bit older to have to try to explain such things.

The number dead is just about exactly half the number (58) of murders committed by guns in the whole of last year in the UK. Of course the UK has a much smaller population than the US, so if you prorate the number to be equivalent to what it would be in a population the size of the US, it would be ca. 290. That's a pretty big number.

In 2010, there were 12,996 murders in the US; 8,775 of them were committed using guns.

Fortunately the murder rate has been dropping in recent years, but in 2007 there were 12,632 murders committed using guns. However, also in 2007, there were 31,224 suicides committed using guns. Someone mentioned the need for better mental health support in this country. Guns are a way too easy out. Don't give me "they'll just find another way" line It simply isn't true; most other ways have a MUCH higher failure rate.

I'm a gun owner and hunter. I surely don't want to give up my shotgun and hunting rifles.

Everyone should understand, however, that second amendment "rights" are negotiated rights. That's why we can't own automatic weapons or shoulder held anti-tank guns. The the government and the courts negotiate to try to find a middle ground that "we the people" find acceptable.

In my mind, we haven't found the right balance, and need to continue those negotiations. The price we're paying for our current stalemate is too high.

Dick

#34 ·
Everyone should understand, however, that second amendment "rights" are negotiated rights. That's why we can't own automatic weapons or shoulder held anti-tank guns. The the government and the courts negotiate to try to find a middle ground that "we the people" find acceptable.

In my mind, we haven't found the right balance, and need to continue those negotiations. The price we're paying for our current stalemate is too high.
We have not found that right balance, that's for sure.

Nor have we found the right balance for care of the mentally ill. It's not just a medicate and counsel it away issue. Young men are loathe to seek medical attention, let alone psychiatric help.

Psychology should be taught in high school as a mandatory course, along with sex ed, fitness, writing, reading, math and science.

Recognizing mental illness is a critical skill. Understanding what psychotic or delusional behaviors are, correctly identifying paranoia, depression and dementia seem to be requisite tools for this millenium. At the very least understanding personality disorders could probably save kids from getting bogged down in a lot of heartache with their peers, mates and colleagues.

#32 ·
I say:

-If you have ever been found guilty of a felony, no gun permit.
-If you have ever been found guilty of assualt and battery, no gun permit.
-If you have ever been found guilty of beating your wife, no gun permit.
-If you have ever been found to have certain mental/behavioral problems, no gun permit.
I'm sure there could be more added to this list.

#43 ·
I say:

-If you have ever been found guilty of a felony, no gun permit.
-If you have ever been found guilty of assualt and battery, no gun permit.
-If you have ever been found guilty of beating your wife, no gun permit.
-If you have ever been found to have certain mental/behavioral problems, no gun permit.
I'm sure there could be more added to this list.
Already codified into law.

G
#35 ·
The guns he used were legally purchased and owned by his mother. He shot her in the face first thing this morning and then went to her classroom and opened fire. Sounds to me like he hated her so much he wanted to hurt her beyond the killing her.

This is a pathetic human who should have his body burned and scattered in a random garbage dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.