NFR: No Solution, just dead kids...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Go Fish, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Speyfisher,
    I accept that you are geniune when you say that you don't understand some of the issues surrounding school prayer and "rights" of religious businesses. Here's a bit of what I know about the subject.

Yes, it is okay for a teacher to ask students to take a moment of silence. No, they cannot tell the students they HAVE to pray during that time. Students may pray silently in school at any time, but can't be disruptive by praying out loud any more than they could shout across the room to a friend during class. Students may even self-organize prayer sessions at school outside of class time, as long as the school authorities don't organize it, or require anyone to attend. Simply put, public schools are arms of the government and cannot endorse any religion, through mandatory prayer, display of religious text (e.g., posting of 10 commandments), or anything else, neither can they prohibit the personal, private practice of same.

As for health care benefits to employees of Catholic, or any other employer (over a certain minimum number of employees when mandatory health employer subsidized health insurance kicks in), the employer is subject to all applicable federal nondiscrimination laws. Health insurance is a benefit of employment, as much as wages/salaries are, and can be used as the employee sees fit, just as such federal laws prohibit employers from discriminating on the basis of religion on this matter. Recent court rulings on this have agreed that the employer cannot choose to exclude any health care options that are provided by the insurance provider or mandated under federal law (which does have some limits), any more than the employer can dock a woman's wages if they dislike her spending that income on birth control (or anything else they might disapprove of, such as purchasing fire arms ;)).

If Fox News is your media authority, it might be no wonder you are misled about these matters.

D

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I really wish it was more widely known how true this is. The media stations are all guilty of selective reporting and bias, but Faux "news" takes it to an extreme.

What happens: A public figure says "happy holidays" publicly

Fox: "ATHEISTS ARE WAGING WAR ON CHRISTMAS!"

What "happy holidays" really means: I wish you the best no matter what you celebrate.

dryflylarry likes this.
  3. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I realized all media outlets, printed or otherwise, were biased years ago. Which is why I don't put much stock in any of them. Some a whole lot less than others.

4. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

How about discuss gun safety now, mourn less later.

Richard Olmstead and Lugan like this.
  5. generic

generic Active Member

That is interesting. I would love to hear the story of how you went from a teacher of the Word, to an atheist.

6. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

It's not that hard.

dfl and slider292 like this.
  7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Just wanted to thank Lugan for posting links to the articles by Sam Harris on Tuesday. Probably among the most intelligent and articulate words ever written on the subject of gun control and gun violence in the U.S. Ought to be required reading for all elected or appointed officials tasked with or intending to develop new legislation pertaining to gun control.

Sg

dfl likes this.
  8. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Full retard indeed.

This is my first contibution to this trainwreck of a thread. I like Ropers thread way better. I also like eggs benedict.

Go Sox,
    cds

9. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

A few of the steps involved are letting go of guilt and fear, realizing morals are not exclusive to a deity, and figuring out you were not born a sinner.

Evan Burck and slider292 like this.
  10. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Ha! Benedict Arnold was a traitor; he probably wanted to take everyone's guns away...
    ... and make them say school prayers!

dfl likes this.
  11. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I can summarize my story of a similar voyage in one word: vagina.

12. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I used to like Eggs Benedict too, until I discovered Country Benedict. In retrospect I now view Eggs Benedict as an English thing as compared to Country Benedict as an American thing. Eggs Benedict (Arnold)=poached egg on an English muffin topped with hollandaise sauce. Country Benedict= sausage patty atop a country biscuit topped with either fried or scrambled egg with sausage gravy on top of that. Yummy

How we postpone any further discussion on gun restrictions until after addressing some of the other issues?

13. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Thank you for reading them! That was why I posted them. The ensuing madness of this thread after my post is pure unintended consequence.

14. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    I think that I'm gonna cook eggs benedict for brunch during the chickenhawk game.

I'll then ramp it up with hot wings at half time of the patsies game followed by some steak after the game.

Wine with brunch. Sierra Nevadas with the Patsies.

Go Sox,
    cds

15. generic

generic Active Member

If it's not that hard, then explain it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.