Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

NFR: Profanity

9K views 104 replies 42 participants last post by  gearhead 
#1 ·
Why can't we communicate on this forum without all the profanity? Pretty simple to get your points across to other people posting on this forum without calling someone a b*$#ch. Or telling them to F off. Free speech is great. But, respect is given to those that show respect.

F this and B that! Use a thesaurus. Maybe you'll learn a new word.

Better yet, direct your anger at someone who choses to fish a fly under a piece of foam. :thumb:

#3 ·
Just take a look at this post. You know when you're trying to get a 5 year old to express themselves verbally you say "use your words, c'mon just use your words". You say that to them so they will think about what they want to say and then find the right words to convey their thoughts.

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=41031

Too many times this is the best an adult can come up with. What a learning TOOL!

#6 ·
I had not read that thread. Wow!
What the... Ok use my words.
That guy needs may need some help expressing himself in a more descriptive manner. Generally calling someone a bitch = wanna fight?
Cursing has its place though. For instance, I spent the afternoon saying F'ing Tigers while cleaning the garage. It was kind of theraputic.
Tigers 6 - Sox 5,
cds

#8 ·
Wow, wow, wow!!! I can't believe that comment. That was way beyond the scope of this site. The problem with online communities, is that you get individuals that are repressed in society, but become aggressive online (i.e. losers in society = online jocks)

Its too bad since with that kind of language, he should duke it out with all the pockedmarked teenagers on yahoo chat. I don't want to encourage that since this individual might be seen later talking to Chris Hansen on Dateline on "To Catch A Predator." Then, this Catholic boy (me), might have to say "Sh*t, I know that guy!!!"

#10 ·
PT,

Seems I recall that morons have about an 800 word vocabulary. Some folks these days have about a 20 word vocabulary with every fourth word being an expletive. I'm not sure what that makes them, but genius it ain't.

Communication skills have never been more important, nor more lacking in the populace.

Sg

#11 ·
Salmo, I had enough "anitfreeze" flowing thru my system the one time I met you (hmsp) that I missed the next couple days of my life. Giving others a bye is something we should always do. Best of luck getting your back healed and look forward to more info I can put in my fishing folders...

800 word vocabulary, well... I probably fall into that category. At least I'm smart enough to stay away from Stam's farm animals.:thumb:

#13 ·
I am totally amazed with the way that this site has always been kept decent over the time it's been up and running. Chris and the mod's do an excellent job of keeping the "ne'er do wells" at bay.

There are so many words to express emotion why use those very few?:confused: Most of these words are so over used that they fail in their purpose to communicate the intended thought. They are often just useless noise.

Thanks to everyone that dares to be different by eschewing those few words!! :rofl:

Randy

#16 ·
Personally I don't mind the language being spiced a bit here and there. The line is crossed when that's all you have to offer and use it in a context that's belligerent.

I have some changes in the works that should mitigate the impact of such personalities. It will also lift those within the community that come with something to offer.

#17 ·
As I stated before, I don't mind the bad language if it's just mixed within a conversation. But in the past it seems to be contagious. One person starts cussing in one thread, then people see it as being acceptable in other threads, then it gets to be pretty common. Then after a while you see it disappear and things get back to normal.

I just brought this up to try and point out this is a place of many visitors and the words that are written should be thought out and delivered in a somewhat respectful (of others) manner. Just like walking thru the mall. People should show some respect.

Now Mingo on the other hand. He can type whatever he wants because I never read his crap anyway. I just like to check out his reels and assorted fly boxes.:eek:

#27 ·
Salmo said it pretty well. I need to find the other 750 words that are hiding somewhere in my vocabulary before spouting off like this. I just listed 51 words I use in my own vocabulary and if I find 750 more that would put me just past the moron stage.

I bet I could find a couple hundred different ways of asking someone to hand me another beer.:thumb:

#28 ·
PT my man! Now you want to come on a free website in the good ol' USA and convince us real sly- like (politically correct delivery with heart string tugs) that we should all stop swearing or"profaning" when we post. I think that IBN and Scoones and the rest of the moderating reaction team do a hell of a job letting us be fishermen and worse yet, silly flyfishing addicted men. Scoones has a quick hook and will park someone's ass in a New York minute if it gets out of hand. Which in translation is a bunch of overgrown kids running around on rivers with 700 dollar spey rods instead of cane poles and bobbers which a bunch of us started with. It is a hobby that we all love and is a part of our life. This site is an extended verstion of it. We drink, we swear, we argue, we fight, we laugh and we cry. Then we piss on the fire and get ready to do it again the next morning at first light buddies again. Its fishing. Quit trying to screw up something perfect, corporate America tries to live by those bullshit standards and then they all pay 500 bucks a day so they can go fishing and cuss a little bit and do what we do all the time. The site isn't British flyfishing or I wear tweed and fish cane and inherited 50 million from my Mum and Da who used to hang out with the Queen, its Washington Flyfishing. We don't bitch when you don't swear do we? We're easy like that in the Evergreen state:rofl: :rofl: I just want everyone to get along and show the love.

From now on out I promise I will work on my shitty swearing habit.:beer2: Coach

#30 ·
PT my man! Now you want to come on a free website in the good ol' USA and convince us real sly- like (politically correct delivery with heart string tugs) that we should all stop swearing or"profaning" when we post. I think that IBN and Scoones and the rest of the moderating reaction team do a hell of a job letting us be fishermen and worse yet, silly flyfishing addicted men. Scoones has a quick hook and will park someone's ass in a New York minute if it gets out of hand. Which in translation is a bunch of overgrown kids running around on rivers with 700 dollar spey rods instead of cane poles and bobbers which a bunch of us started with. It is a hobby that we all love and is a part of our life. This site is an extended verstion of it. We drink, we swear, we argue, we fight, we laugh and we cry. Then we piss on the fire and get ready to do it again the next morning at first light buddies again. Its fishing. Quit trying to screw up something perfect, corporate America tries to live by those bullshit standards and then they all pay 500 bucks a day so they can go fishing and cuss a little bit and do what we do all the time. The site isn't British flyfishing or I wear tweed and fish cane and inherited 50 million from my Mum and Da who used to hang out with the Queen, its Washington Flyfishing. We don't bitch when you don't swear do we? We're easy like that in the Evergreen state:rofl: :rofl: I just want everyone to get along and show the love.

From now on out I promise I will work on my shitty swearing habit.:beer2: Coach
Coach, you don't know me. And please, don't pretend that you know my motives. It was a simple thread I started. More than once when the internet cops have jumped on someone for posting something, or more recently, when Leland posted a trip from the Orvis shop and others bashed him for a topic that would benefit the shop (they are a site sponsor) my comment to said idiot was let the mods do their job. I agree that the moderators here do a great job. Don't read more into what I've said than what was actually said.

All I brought up was that we can get our points across without some of the bashing/bad language/etc. that takes place from time to time. I've read enough of your stuff to know that you are passionate about your opinions and from time to time take things "over the top" to get your point across. So be it. But, if you have to use profanity just to make your point then in my eyes you don't have much to contribute.

This isn't coming from someone that wants to censor anyone's free speach. It was just a guy pointing out that we can show each other a bit of respect in regards to the communication that goes on here.

I'm no Greener and haven't spent much time at a desk with some lefty professor spewing his agenda at me. Just one person's opinion here. Isn't that what many folks such as yourself fought for?

#31 ·
"Which in translation is a bunch of overgrown kids running around on rivers with 700 dollar spey rods .... We drink, we swear, we argue, we fight, we laugh and we cry. Then we piss on the fire and get ready to do it again the next morning at first light buddies again."

Coach - you got a mouse in your pocket? That's all I can figure when you say "us" and "we"... ;)

#39 ·
Coach, I'll leave it at this. In a couple of your posts in this thread you've spoken for me, attempted to brand me, and somehow you think you "know" me or my type. Well, you don't. It's easier to just jump on someone who's point you may disagree with than acknowledge that maybe they do have a valid point even if their opinion is different than your own. Having read enough of your posts I do realize that concept is one you just don't get.

I'm not looking to change this forum. Just thought I'd give my opinion on one issue. Nothing more, nothing less.

Tight lines.:thumb: :thumb:

#33 ·
Coach Duff said:
I think that IBN and Scoones and the rest of the moderating reaction team do a hell of a job letting us be fishermen and worse yet, silly flyfishing addicted men. Scoones has a quick hook and will park someone's ass in a New York minute if it gets out of hand. Coach
Yeah, I'd say he did a pretty good job with both the Flyfishing Goddess threads you started. . .

#34 ·
Did you buy that hat like that in Bellevue, or is is all folded up and bent just right from years in the bush chasing steel? Just wondering. As far as the fishing Goddess goes, it was kind of sad that she can strike fear into grown assed men through a computer screen. Most of the fellas (some of whom she has gone after for years) got a good laugh and toasted her crazy ass. Then they forgot about it. There is a reason she quit guiding. Some of us (PT ;) winking back at ya) pissed ourselves and pleaded to have the 115 pound internet "boogieman" stopped before their nightmares started again.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :confused: It was fun for a day, so why bring it up now "cowboy"? Coach

#35 ·
Fly fishers as a group have a reputation for being a bit judgemental of other's behaviour, whether it be in the manner of fishing or personal conduct. Obviously not necesarily true of all, but it occurs frequently enough for that label to be commonly assigned. I personally don't care whether or not someone uses a little off-color language. It does not affect me in any significant way, so I have no reason to try and prevent or discourage it. I enjoy the diverse range of personalities out there, and I like to let people be who they are as long as it doesn't impact me.

#36 ·
F#$k this s@#t, man! WTF is wid' all these peeps, b!#$hing about how's we gotta' talk, walk our talk, here mo#$erf$%%^ or anywheres what's wid this sh$% anyhow? Who the F needs more vocabulary man? Anybody wid' a command of language or sh&* or command of anything man, can get the fu$%^^ point across widout a hole lotta' words, ya' know what i'm saying, man, ya' know WTF I'm sayin'? Whoa dude, like ya' fu#$^& know whadimean? who needs 800 words?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.