(NFR) ringtones and wallpaper for cellphones

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I know some people hate having cells (I know I do alot of the time, especially when I get customers calling all week during my vacation LOL). Found a link to a site that actually sells ring tones of old Hardy fly reels (think they have a couple other brands too). Pretty cool sounding actually. Guess it would be a great way to show your love of fishing with the sound of an old Silex running on you when someone calls.

They also have some pretty decent wallpapers. I've had a hard time finding them, even with websearches. May get one, not sure yet. Anyone else find sites that have good fishing wallpapers, etc? I won't post the link since they aren't a sponsor, but if you want it, just PM me and I'll forward it to you.

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

SFR: ringtones and wallpaper for cellphones

Jerry,

If you hate getting calls while you're on vacation, why do you take your cell phone with you or at least not have it turned off? I thought the beauty of the technology was in being able to manage it.

3. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

SFR: ringtones and wallpaper for cellphones

To each his own, but to me, buying "ring tones" has to be the biggest rip-off ever invented. I really don't get the dad's who let their teen (and pre-teen!!) daughter have her own cell phone, then pay extra for 'upgrades' and 'services' like pics, ringtones, wallpapers, etc. They already have movis and live TV capabilities. Just more ways to spend your hard earned money (or your daddies)....

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Salmo, my personal phone is also my business phone. I'm home on vacation, so doing stuff around town (canceled my plans and am home for personal reasons). My girlfriend is in Georgia visiting her Mom, so since I've been out running errands, have kept my cell on so she can get in touch with me. (Plus the calls are free since it's mobile to mobile). So have to deal with extra calls coming in.

Well, to each their own Chad. I won't be buying cells for my kids, but I don't mind the ring tones. You get down to it, lots of stuff that are common in our houses and cars were just "unneccesary add ons" at one time (like power windows, AC, etc in cars) or TV's in the houses (remember when VCR's were a waste of time, now about everyone has one, and now DVD's are flooding the houses). Just some people like them (and I don't mind them either). I'd rather hear a screaming reel then some of those generic tones.

5. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

I wish there was a fly fishing wall paper. Maybe a trout or a nice image of a mayfly pattern. And Maybe a ringtone that sounded like a large rainbow taking line out and your reel is buzzing, like you mentioned. That'd be cool. Where do you find those?

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Not in Washington...maybe Montana or Oregon. (JK)

7. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    ht75, if you mean for your phone, that's what the link has. It's a sound of a reel screaming (guess they actually took those reels and recorded line coming off them). They do have some wallpapers on it. Think some are trout though. Not sure, didn't look too hard at them.

8. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Thanks Jerry

9. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

A lot of the new wireless devices come equipped with features such as cameras, mp3 players, Trans Flash memory cards etc. These will allow you to compose your own ringtones or create your own wallpapers without having to pay for each download. If your phone supports MP3 you can transfer sound clips from your puter and set them as a ringtone. Or if you have a camera phone just take a pic and save it as your wallpaper. No money out of your pocket other then the original purchase of the phone :D

10. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

You can also take pictures with your digital camera and send them from your computer to your phone. I have some great ones from my Alaska trip on mine.

Gbeeman

11. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    gbeeman, how can you do that?????? I don't have an internet feed on my cell (I just got a simple flipphone, no camera or internet connection on it). Is there a program you can do that. I have a few pics I wouldn't mind putting on my cell.

12. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Jerry, your phone has to support MMS. What this means is your phone has to have the ability to send or recieve pics or large e-mails. Some phones can receive but cannot send. Also you have to have a GPRS connection in order to transfer the file. Standard SMS (Text Messaging) will not work.
    I'm assuming since your phone does not support internet connectivity it will not support MMS. Best bet call your provider and see what functions your device supports.

Dennis

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Dennis, I guess I should've been clear (and were you speaking english above????? LOL). I don't have it hooked up. I can receive wallpapers and pics (can download off the sites that carry them and have them sent to my phone). I just don't have the internet connection hooked up (was an extra $5 or so a month, and I knew I wasn't going to use it). It does have a thing for internet, I just didn't pay to hook it up. I just don't have the camera phone feature.

14. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Jerry sorry about that :D If your phone has the ability to access the internet and receive content such as a picture or Polyphonic tones (songs with voices) you should be good to go. Your carrier is just blocking you from utilizing the internet services based on your class of service (what phone plan your on).
    You will definitely have to resize the picture before you send from your e-mail i.e. Yahoo, Hotmail etc. Your phone number will have a default e-mail associated with it and somewhere in the body of the e-mail will be your mobile number. Your carrier will be able to provide the e-mail address associated with your phone.

Dennis

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Home Page:
    Ok, thanks Dennis. The layman terms helped. LOL. I can accept poly tones, I have a couple now (received like 5 free with my phone). I'll have to look into it. I'm good about resizing, so that's not a problem

Thanks. Appreciate it.