(NFR) Sad Day to be a Hokie

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mike Etgen, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

We pray today for the entire Hokie nation. Our thoughts and love are with you here at the University of Hawaii. Coach

2. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I really feel for the people affected, injured and worse, killed. I was in shock yesterday and just can't understand why things like this happen like this. It will never make sense when someone just goes out and randomly attacks so many!

I've got a couple upstairs from me who are VT alumi and will be checking in with them today. Truely a sad day!

3. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Sad day indeed. My though this morning was that someone didn't take this guy (the shooter) fishing.

4. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

SAD...VERY SAD.
    THE WILD THING IS THAT MOST COLLEGE CAMPUSES ARE JUST WIDE OPEN. AND WITH SO MANY PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH THE HALLS, IT IS HARD TO TELL IF SOMONE BELONGS THERE OR NOT (NOT LIKE IT WOULD MATTER THOUGH.).

5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

I sent my friend/colleague at VA Tech an email to be sure he was okay and to extend my sympathies and to wish him and his students well. My friend is of middle eastern descent, but I did not know anything of his personal history (he has been a professor at VA Tech for over 25 years). In his response he thanked me for my concern and added the following, which put this tragedy into a whole new perspective: "I am calling my family in Baghdad every week and do not know what to expect. It is scary."

Dick

6. Tim Garton

Tim Garton Member

I too was stunned by the whole incident. It's hard to imagine the shock and pain that has been inflicted by one person.

I wish people would not refer to it as a tragedy. I think of tragedies as "acts of god", accidents, something you could not foresee or control. When it purposely perpetrated by another human it is an atrocity.

7. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

I respectfully think the use of the word tragedy isn't really confined to accidents. Tragedy often refers to bad things caused by people that should now better "a greek tragedy, tragedy of the commons."

What really gets me is that whenever they show pictures of serial killers, homicidal maniacs, or other bad people is that there is something in their eyes. I mean if you had been living in a cave in the desert with your eyes closed and then were brought into a room and shown dozens of pictures of individuals and asked to pick out the pics of Ted Bundy, David Berkowitz, Harold Shipman, Ed Gein, or Jeffrey Dahmer you could. This is because they look fairly normal with the exception of this really uncomforting distant look in their eyes. And now they show pics of the Virginia Tech murderer and he has that same look.

8. gt

gt Active Member

30 young people lose their lives, for no reason, at VT and the nation stops. 30 people a day, or more, lose their lives in iraq on a daily basis and the nation pretends not to notice. something is wrong here.

9. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

10. raincityrod

raincityrod Guest

Great post...a more appropriate title could be " Sad Day to be a United States of American "

11. tahuyamg

tahuyamg tahuyamg

It is a very sad event that unfolded. But quite frankly I'm tired of all the media attention on all the stations. I personally don't want to see victim after victim shown on the TV. I don't want to sound calloused, or w/o compassion- but it's just to damn depressing.

12. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

This raises an interesting comparison: 33 dead would be a light casualty day in Baghdad where daily death tolls occasionally exceed 100, including women and children.

Our media report the daily carnage there with a few short sentences, yet are outraged and grief-stricken when the corpses are Americans, devoting an entire hour to coverage of the VT shootings as ABC's Good Morning America did today.

Not to diminish the tragedy at VT, but how can Iraqi or Arab lives somehow be worth less than American ones?

K

13. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

But that's the way it should be, the flip side of this coin is also terrifying. It reminds me of the Texas Tower shooter, Kent State, Kennedy's death, you just can't help but grieve. Truely a sad day.

14. creekx

creekx spent spinner

The relative value of lives, or any arbitrary caste system for that matter, has nothing to do with it. A murder in Seattle gets more coverage by the Seattle press than does a murder in New York. But how can New York lives somehow be worth less than Seattle ones?

The 24/7 coverage of the VT incident by several networks may be overkill, especially considering they only have enough info to fill a 30 minute show. However, the US media is doing anything but downplaying the Iraqi death toll.

15. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Unfortunately, terrorist atrocities happen everyday somewhere around the globe... and nearly always NOT in our own 'backyard'.

When this sort of pure evil hits close to home, in a 'safe' setting such as a school, it hits a nerve in all of us.

Yes, people die every day. In most cases we understand what is going on to some extent - war, jihad, genocide, etc. But in this case, 'one of our own' seems to have snapped. It is not logical. People are freaked out and stunned. I'm not sure why that is so hard to understand...