NFR Steelers Praise 12th Man.....The Refs!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by David Prutsman, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

Inland,

you're my boy here in Utah, but dissing seahawks fans on a washington based internet forum wont gain you anything...

I think the seahawks lost the game themselves, but the refs didnt help at all. I checked out ESPN.com and all over the country people thought the refs were lousy. A few respectable sportswriters have already written articles saying as much, including Michael Smith, senior writer for ESPN who said that the Offensive PI by Jax was like calling a touch foul during a key moment in a game 7 of the finals, so I think that the basketball analogy was just fine.

I'm proud of the seahawks. I knew I didn't give them much of a chance to go to the show at the start of the year. This was a growing experience for the seahawk organization....

in other words..

we'll get 'em next year (and we can really mean it this time!) :thumb:

2. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Ok, before anyone decides to flame me keep in mind that I was born in Olympia raised in Yelm (REE), Am a diehard Hawks fan, and will be taking crap from the people at my work all week.

With that said, here goes. The Officiating was pretty crappy. Steve Young and Madden both said it. Hell if you asked Rothesburger in confession this week he would say it too. But!!! bawling: The Hawks ultimately lost the game for themselves (young inexperienced team) and some pretty shitty play calling from a veteran superbowl coach. Dropped passes and yes holding by lineman doomed us. It just happened that on most of our breakout plays the ball ended up ten yards back because some dumbass decided that he should curl his big F-ing fingers around a yellow and black jersey. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now, Would the Seahawks have won if the touchdown and the holding call were not brought back due to flags? Who knows, but it sure did change the momentum of the game. You could almost see the life leave the hawks on those two plays. IMHO that is a sign of a team that is just not ready to hold the Lombardi trophy. I don't know if any of you listened to the recording of Vince Lombardi before the game. I think he was very prophetic some 40 years ago. The Hawks were not ready or worthy of his trophy. The Steelers had their asses handed to them in the first half and still came out and played the game 110%, if the Hawks had done so we would all be chearing right now.

John Hicks

3. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Congrats Hawks fans on a great season future looks bright with all of that young talent.

Nice to see our local boy Randle El seal the deal on that WR option pass he was an option QB at Thornton HS here in Chicago and at Indiana our HS team played them a couple of years and we beat them.

Nice to see The Bus go out that way.

Now the post football blues set in but there are steelhead in our rivers of which none are blown.

:)

BG

4. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Congrats Hawks fans on a great season future looks bright with all of that young talent.

Nice to see our local boy Randle El seal the deal on that WR option pass he was an option QB at Thornton HS here in Chicago and at Indiana our HS team played them a couple of years and we beat them.

Nice to see The Bus go out that way.

Now the post football blues set in but there are steelhead in our rivers of which none are blown.

:)

BG

5. 05tacoma

05tacoma Member

inland - no to all your questions... but when penalties swing 21 points to the STEALers, you can't win a Superbowl. No team can.

6. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

7. motroutbum

motroutbum New Member

Home Page:
    The hawks didnt get robbed. There was only one controversial call that would have made the score 17-21 and that was the offensive pass interference call in the endzone. and if brown could have made the extra point since he went like 2-4 or 2-5 on scoring attempts. Madden is just a fat Ba!@#rd anyway. The steelers out-performed seattle and that was that. Wistrom had a nice sack though...(His brother was my high school football coach) look at it this way---at least you made it to your first superbowl!

8. motroutbum

motroutbum New Member

Home Page:
    you cang judge it from that picture cause it was just a spectacle in time he was farther out before he went down. But there ALWAYS has to be a scapegoat for everything. Its almost like fishing. If you went out fishing and didnt catch anything what would you say....? "THe fish arent biting? Need to change flies? try this drift or in that pocket?" ever think that it was your ability as an angler that you just werent good enough that day to catch a fish?

9. Curtis

Curtis New Member

I am not blaming the game on the refs. There were some chicken shit calls though. Calling hasselback for blocking below the waist to tackle someone? BS!!

10. Desmond Wiles

Desmond Wiles Sir Castaline

Seahawks did great this year, but they could have done better last night. Despite the questionable calls, they had the opportunities to win the game, but couldn't get it done. Should've, could've, would've....

I'm sure we'll see them make another run at it next fall! GO SEAHAWKS!!

11. Gabriel Burgi

Gabriel Burgi doesn't live in WA anymore :(

This pretty much sums it up about the officiating:

"Not saying the outcome of the game would have been any different, but for sure it would have been a different game."

- Matt Hasselbeck, from ESPN.com

12. Porter

Porter Active Member

He might be fat and he might be a bastard...but he knows the game better than you and I doubt he would say Pittsburgh outperformed Seattle. Seattle had a good game plan...poorly executed at times which hurt them. Seattles Defense outplayed Pitts defense..two big plays was there only Offense.

Penalties can and do change the dynamics of a game...It changes what the Offense now calls and what the defense will do. (It is the same in baseball when a team is up 3 - 1 and pitching...the other team has a runner on 1st and who gets caught stealing. Next pitch the guy hits a homerun....now people are mad because if he didn't get caught stealing the score would be tied. Instead they lose 3-2. But you can never say that...because now the dynamics of the game have changed. The pitcher can now take chances with certain pitches that he would not have done with the runner on 1st base...thus the homerun ball would probably never have been served.)

but like I believe and stated...Championship teams find a way to win...Pittsburgh is the champion because they found a way to win when they were quantifiably outplayed. Congratualations Pitt.

13. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Mo, you really need to understand that you are on a WASHINGTON FLY FISHING website. The opinions will be somewhat jaded towards that of the Seahawks. With that said both Madden, Steve Young, and Frank Deford (sports columnist for S.I.) said the officiating is a problem in the NFL.

14. David Prutsman

David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Okay, how about the non-calls? The horse collar takle on Alexander, the play clock at zero before timeout was called, the OLB offsides by three yards inturn forcing Locklear to hold! The refs were not calling a balanced game, period! If they had been, then there wouldn't be such a debate across the country!

15. Fish Hunter

Fish Hunter Too many people, not enough fish

I must be in the worng place... I thought this was a fly fishing site?

Clearly my mistake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.