NFR: The state of the forum

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Allison, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Mr. Smith, well said sir.

Being on four fishing forums, without a doubt this is the best. It's a great place to meet new friends and enjoy company. It's like a second home. Sure there are duplicate posts where one could just search and find the same thing (such as what float tube to buy), but overall, the quality of the posts are superb. I'm glad this forum is full of such great folks like you all. It makes for fun community events we organize. The heart of the forum is us, as a collective unit. We organize fish-a-thons, send countless PM's, goof-off, and fish hard. It's WashingtonFlyFishing at its finest. Scoones is to be commended. What a great place with such great company. The forum sparkles with great decorum - It's fun to log-on here. Man I should be fishing right now :) But I got my SF fix earlier in the week...Rock-on ya'll!! rsfg

2. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

I have to agree that over the years the forum has gone alittle side ways. To many tight lipped reports. Then if someone does mention a name or place all hell breaks loose. I guess what bothers me the most is the questions ,where should I fish, what line ,what rod, what fly, why not just have someone cast the line for you, and you take pic's. Not enough research on the part of the poster,regarding the reg's , maps etc. Some of us have spent time and $$$$ to go to places and see if there is fish a road etc.etc. my 2 cents

3. Dael Harley

Dael Harley Banned or Parked

Not sure I follow the last post, TM. The forum is more tight lipped, people get ripped for naming fishing places, yet you're not happy that people ask where to fish, what to use when they go there? Isn't that what every fly fisherman does when he tries new water? You've never walked into a fly shop on water you've never fished, asked where to go, what flies to use, spent maybe 5 bucks and walked out?

I'd think this forum is about sharing experiences about fishing. At least, I hope so.

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

It is about sharing experiences, the key word is sharing. You will get flamed by asking the cliche where do I go, what fly do I use, what rock do I stand on question. But if you do a little research, hit the river, tell us about your trip, the conditions, what worked for you, what didn't. Then you ask a pertinent question, then you will receive the feedback that this forum is good at providing.

5. Trout Master

Trout Master Active Member

to be honest I cant remember the last time I asked a fly shop where should I fish. I guess I do research ethier by book, internet, maps etc. I have sent pm's to members that I have know for years and I asked for suggestions. So I guess I'm guilty of the same thing I bitch about.

6. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Home Page:
    Allison -- I found it quite fascinating when you did this to the Hi-Lakers!

You really stirred up their nest for a while with your critiques.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

If WFF has declined I am personable responsible. I guess I can't tell the diff between a bulletin/message board vs an interactive forum. Fishin' is slow, more senseless dribble with easily avoided thread subjects. Fishin' is good, more fishing reports and good tidbits. It is all my fault for the high post counts. I should be parked. I believe in what my WFF friend MS says in post #7 above. Read that again please. I agree with Matt.

I enjoyed my 3 hrs @ Tye lake today. Now i'm wined up tending a fire that can be seen from space. I stayed the weekend on the Skagi got some spey casting in and never saw a fish. Family, friends @ the Jimmy Greeen Memorial and meeting new friends (taxon, buddah, arthur, doublespey and others) as well as many familiar faces...I think this forum is a great place. Thanks Chris (who I think I saw from a distance late today). Sorry to all, If WFF sucks now it is all my fault.

(Bill, Jeff,Eric, Leland, Ross, Jerry, Scott...great seeing you and introducing you to my family today.)

8. FlyMeARiver

FlyMeARiver Da Mailman! Making sure you get yours!

Did Ed Call while I was out? Sorry, this is probably the useless drivel people are talking about here, and I guess it is all your fault!:)

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Appears someone's paying attention to the Board: Threads: 45,355, Posts: 441,109, Members: 12,679, Active Members: 3,280

:thumb:

10. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Hmmm . . . with 12,679 members and 3,280 active members, posting an 'open' fishing report seems like a sure-fire way to find 6 other guys and a week's worth of trash at your favorite spot next time you visit. My fishing reports have gone only to a tight list of friends for years for just that reason.

K

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

iagree

12. Ethan G.

Ethan G. I do science.. on fish..

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I go to Frontier Anglers(Dillon) to ask hows the fishing and pick up a few flies. I never ask where to go because. People here in Montana are very frendly and don't worry about any secret places. Where ever there is water running down hill and in some kind of channel there will be trout in it.

I don't think that there is any secret water here. You can go to water up in the hills and not see another person there or marks of them passing. Not a lot of garbage laying around from sloppy people.

I guess I got off of the topic. But I just wanted to point out how things differ from Washington to here.

And yes Ed, you have turned this place upside down. You'll never catch me so quit trying. Only if I die.

Jim

14. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Forums go in cycles. Rise/fall ebb/flow etc. The old "kings" leave, new people show up and eventually become the old kings. Sometimes it happens at once sometimes it happens one at a time.

Everyone is real brave behind a keyboard and a fake name. That will always bring out the worst in a lot of people. You've got to take it with a grain of salt and just let the idiots be idiots. Nothing you say is going to change them into useful people.

And more than anything, keep in mind that this is just an internet forum. 99% of the people who annoy you on this forum are probably great guys to fish a run and share a beer with. Despite its usefulness, the internet is often a sub-par method for accurate transmission of the subtleties of communication. Which is the source of a lot of problems. A raised eyebrow can flip the meaning of a statement from asinine to hilarious in real life. The internet doesn't have that ability, and all the "smileys" in the world aren't going to change that fact.

15. spokanefishin

spokanefishin Chad

If everyone just does searches and finds all they are looking for then you don't need a forum.. Just a database.. I see that on a lot of forums and my response is always, what will you have to do on the forum without people posting? My attitude with forums has always been post whatever you want whenever you want. Keeps it interesting.. My 3 cents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.