NFR: "to" and "too"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Harrington, Jan 22, 2011.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Rivers are tu hi tu fish so I am goin' tu hang out here at home and count my flies buy toos

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

to/too/two, there/their/they're, advise/advice, the examples are numerous. I've put together a document (currently running to 13 pages) of common and really ludicrous spelling and grammar errors, mostly from this website. Presumably, most posters here have, at least, a high school education and most of these errors involve grammar and spelling which should be obvious to middle school (or younger) students. And, yes, sometimes it's difficult to make any sense at all out of some posts, simply due to bizarre spelling and grammar. How in the world can someone substitute "are" for "our"? I've seen it done more times than I care to count.

How many of you who actually fish for steelhead would spell it stealhead? One that I still chuckle at was the guy who was standing "... waste deep in the water"; which sounds like a pretty nasty place to be.

3. Lex Story

Lex Story Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek

Thank you for saying this. This has been bothering me for the longest time, but I must agree wholeheartedly on the subject. I find it actually distracts me from the meaning of the posting when there are a blatant erroneous spelling of words... and often.

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Oh soooooo true!

:) But one small correction to the above: "Steelhead" is a proper name/noun and should be capitalized. Unless, of course, the word is being used as a pronoun. :)

Just kidding, just kidding ... but I'm a pretty darned good 'speller,' but I still use a 'spell checker' for everything. All that aside, a word of warning ..... 'Live by a spell checker, you'll die by the same tool.' As Preston points out above ... 'it' doesn't know what word you want/need to use, it's just going to tell you if you spelled 'what-ever' correctly.bawling:

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Yeah, but the spell checker here underlines the word Steelhead and a few other names that are spelled right. I guess it doesn't understand fishing terms. Snohomish also gets an underline. It thinks you are saying something else.

Jim

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

And 'there in hangs the rub' OM, 'there in hangs the rub.' Spell checkers are a good tool, but just that, a tool. Have yet to see one that's all inclusive and kept up to date.

7. Bob Neal

Bob Neal Member

I went to Arizona State...I hope that explains my spelling & grammar errors.
    I did plenty of this :beer1:!

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Whoops

9. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

What is with people defending their piss poor spelling? I don't care that much, but if I couldn't spell, I might not post too much here...but, I want to hear your fishing stories regardless! So, keep them coming, we'll put up with you! It's like defending your smoking habit.....!! :beathead:

10. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

As a long-time teacher, I cringe at poor spelling and grammar. The absolute worst, however, is the use of "well" and "good" or should I say the misuse of the two words. Poor grammar and spelling is a result of poor attention to detail. Our spell checker programs also have a grammar check. Since we write on the forum often, we should take the time to make sure what we post is somewhat correct. Truth is, the farther down this road we go, the further trouble we get into. Now figure that one out

11. Baitfish

Baitfish Member

I'll plead the 5th...

Famous quote... "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."
    -Abe Lincoln

12. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

My theory: Our nation's rising rate of grammatical errors is correlated with the rising popularity of Sarah Palin.

13. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Lugan--- You are right on! Ha! Too funny, but sadly true. Scares the sh_t out of me...

14. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Ah m tu tird tu tak giv a sht

15. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Rather you plead the Fifth. To be correct, numbers ten and under are always spelled out. Now let's all go get a Fifth and tip a few. :rofl: