NFR: "to" and "too"

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by James Harrington, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    I recently learned that it is no longer legit to type two spaces after the punctuation mark ending a sentence. That was a rule we were taught back when type sets were differently arranged than they are now. Way back when the early typewriters were being made, each letter had the same amount of space assigned to it. Thus an "i" would have more space between it and surrounding letters than say, a "w." To compensate for this slight difference in letter spacing, two empty spaces were required for easier visual clarity at the end of a sentence. No more. All modern type uses the same amount of space between letters, so the extra space after the end of a sentence is no longer required.

I just found this out the other day and made the switch. I'll bet I'm the last to do this!

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I put two spaces at the end of a sentence.

I also put two spaces between the state abbreviation and the zip code in an address. Wonder if this is now wrong.

Screw me. I can’t spell, I don’t know how to use punctuation and now I can’t even use empty space properly.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Well said KerryS. I too use two spaces after a sentence like I was taught to many years ago. I too insert two spaces between the two letter state abbreviation and the destination to zip code. I too don't know if I'm doing it all wrong, can't spell, properly punctuate or form sentences and I know that I'm a total misuse of space.

4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Eats shoots and leaves.

I get it when it matters, but what about when it doesn't matter? When the meaning is not lost or misunderstood? Why fight for "proper" when "proper" doesn't make sense? I'll grab your rope Roper but only to loop it around other archaic thoughts that are similar to ones that at one time were accepted as "proper" good form like oh I don't know... slavery, banning of mixed marriages. Try reading the original text of the Declaration of Independence, bet you can't do it. Does this mean we should question the grammatical ability of our founding fathers?

Ira..

5. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

You do indeed put two spaces between your sentences, but have you noticed? The browsers reduce it to just one. Yeah, they're "fixing" that for you. Look back at your post and try to highlight just one of the two spaces.

Having said that: don't let the space nazi's tell you how 2 type, life's too short to spend time on one versus two spaces in informal communication. (Or even formal, although I do try to be careful in a formal setting.)

6. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

It's probably not your browser. It's probably the server of the forum or other website you're typing into.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Did someone actually take my posts seriously? What is the world coming two.

8. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

None taken.

9. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

Nope, all the browsers normalize whitespace, although how they go about it varies from browser to browser which can be a total pain.

10. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

New language-kids

Kid's have their own lanquage. Spoken as well as written. My generation was no different. But, sooner or later, one has to enter the real world and hack out a living. How well you present yourself starts, not only with your resume, but when you first open your mouth.

Case in point: current chief exec. Very articulate speaker, beyond that,,,, well? Let's not go there.

11. guybg

guybg New Member

I took a blueprint reading class a couple years ago, and one of the prints the instructor used as a teaching aid had all of the spelling correct on it, but the measurements printed for two locating holes in a bracket put one hole nearly inside the other (not represented that way graphically).

This was on a blueprint for a fire truck, provided by a local company the instructor worked with.

I pointed this out to the instructor who verified my math...

Sometimes spelling is the least of our problems.

12. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Too funny by Half! And reminded me of 'two incidents,' one 'my error,' another 'someone else's. First mine from a couple of days ago .. vis a vis the 'riots' in Egypt. Appears 250,000 folks are going (to one degree or another) 'Nuts.' Comment I heard was 'wait a minute, there are 80 MILLION people in that Country.' Touch of 'mental math' and that's a really tiny number. Actually got the 'math' right (3/10ths of one percent).

What I posted was "3% of the Population appear to be involved, are the other 97% sitting this one out?" Well, a simple typo, I typed 3% rather than .3$ so the next sentence should have come out as 99.7%, not 97 .... My Bad. Fellows on the UK board had a bit of fun at my exspense, but it was all good natured as they knew I'd plugged in a 'typo' and went down hill from there.

Sheesh! And I have a Masters in Economics and another (amoung others) in Statistics. These are 'errors' you just don't make .. even if your 'end game conclusions' are pure BS.

The other was one of the early Martian Landers ..... the landing part actually should have been fairly straight forward. Save for one tiny, tiny bit. Have the guys crunching the numbers were using standard 'yards, feet, inches, etc;' the other half the Metric System. Lander came to a complete stop ....... about 10' under ground ......

Amazing to me that you can 'shoot' something off, aim it at something else millions of miles away, hit it dead on ... and SPLAT!

fae

13. guybg

guybg New Member

LOL...yeah I remember that quite well...NASA was pretty embarrassed! And pretty worried about their next couple of missions too....

14. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

To drive a point home

Too funny by Half! And reminded me of 'two incidents,' one 'my error,' another 'someone else's. First mine from a couple of days ago .. vis a vis the 'riots' in Egypt.

By the time I had read this far, I knew who's thoughts I was reading. Now tell me a guys signature is not recognizable as soon as he opens his mouth or sets pen to paper.

15. Kerfwappie

Kerfwappie Member

Are spaces considered punctuation?