nfr: Top 10 'guy' flicks.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Quigley Down Under
    Breaker Morant

2. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Home Page:
    I got a couple that people haven't really been mentioned. First one is the Boondock Saints, gotta love that movie, it set the record for most swear words in a movie.

Next is Ong bak, not sure if thats exactly how it is spelled. One of the greatest action movies, Tony Jaa kicks some ass

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    i know so many guys who refuse to watch this movie because they think "batman and comics are soooo gay." but somehow they managed to make this into one bad ass flick. and dark knight this summer is going to be absolutely ridiculous. can't wait

tell me this won't be the most manly movie of 2008:

4. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

"Hard Boiled" John Woo and Chow Yun Fat before either got famous over here. one of the most violent movies I've ever seen. just plain over-the-top awesomeness.

5. Denny

Denny Active Member

Just watched it the other day; gotta like Christian Bale and the passion he puts in to roles (Reign of Fire, American Psycho), and Liam Neeson did a great job.

Many movies have already been mentioned that would have gone on my list. But, to resist redundancy, in addition to many of the aforementioned fine films I might add:

Eraser (with Ah-nold)
    True Lies (I love that flick, and Jamie Lee Curtis)
    An Officer and a Gentleman (probably not considered 'manly,' but good stuff in there)
    Last Man Standing (Bruce Willis sporting a 45 auto and shooting bad guys? Great stuff.)
    Under Siege (now what heterosexual without ED doesn't love the Erika Eleniak-popping-out-of-the-cake scene?Some good whoop ass and knife fight scenes, too; Seagal's best, which ain't necessarily saying a whole lot, but still good.)
    Romeo Must Die, The Black Mask, or just about any modern Jet Li flick.
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (not sure if already mentioned by others, but what a great classic action movie)
    Running Down the Man (brings a whole new level and definition to pursuing fish).
    and, finally,
    Ibn's Neah Bay video clip with Anil catching bass on a gummi worm, and eating the gummi worm. Adrenaline pumping fishing material at its best!

6. dominic7471

dominic7471 Member

superbad (you gotta admit it was hillarious!)
    saving private ryan
    goodfellas
    gladiator
    Lord Of the Rings Trilogy
    Band of Brothers
    The Rock
    A river runs through it
    Big Lebowski
    Super Troopers

7. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

These are not all in order.

Heat- One of the best shoot out scenes
    Train Spotting- Disturbing
    40yo Virgin- Hilarious
    Strange Brew- Classic
    Lord of The Rings- Great
    The Tao of Steve- Awesome

8. River Dory

River Dory Member

The Warriors
    Red Dawn
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Escape From NY
    Repo Man
    Up In Smoke
    Blade Runner
    All the Die Hard's
    The Wall
    Enter The Dragon

9. LD

LD Active Member

Can't believe the Blues Brothers is not the list :confused:

In no order:
    Anything Clint
    Anything John Wayne
    Apocalypse Now
    Bridge over the river kwai
    Great escape
    Dirty dozen
    Top gun
    Rocky -orginal
    Radiers of the lost ark

10. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Home Page:
    I recently watched "The Big Sleep" 1946 just because Netflix recommended it to me. Wow. Why is the plot so great, I wondered. I had to look at the commentaries. Oh, Raymond Chandler wrote the novel. And the cool dialog? - Oh, could it be because Faulkner did the screen play? It an early movie for Bacall, and probably made her career.

What about "Empire of the Sun"? I had to replay the P-51 attack over and over. I like airplanes.

"Brazil" is my all time favorite, but it is never on anyone's list. Every time I've shown it to an important woman in my life, they've fallen asleep! It's like Monty Python meets "1984". It seems to me to get more and more current with the leaders of government clueless to the nature of the terrorist threat, and reliance on torture. De Niro as the enemy of the state as a rogue utility repairman. The ineffective government workers. How the government repairmen laughed at Jacks's insistence that the problem "Fixed itself". I repeat that line to myself every week when Windows does something mysterious and unrepeatable.

11. Nick Riggs

Nick Riggs I've been known to fish from time to time...

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Indiana Jones? High Plains Drifter (I'll always prefer Clint Eastwood to John Wayne), Fight Club, Conan (The first one).

12. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Quest for Fire
    Fargo
    Alien
    Aliens

13. Kaari White

Kaari White Active Member

I think I've only seen one person put Shawshank Redemption on their list... It's my #1 all time favorite movie and I think considered a "guy" movie.

If you guys haven't seen "There Will Be Blood" I highly recommend it as an incredible guys movie.

14. PT

PT Physhicist

I'm surprised Debbie Does Dallas hasn't been mentioned. I do know a couple gals who enjoyed that flick also.;)

15. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Any of the novels by Raymond Chandler were gold. The Long Goodbye, Farewell, My Lovely, and The Lady in the Lake also come to mind. Chandler's mentor Dashiell Hammett also wrote some outstanding pulps, several of which were made into movies: The Thin Man; Maltese Falcon.

Don't forget Bogey and Bacall in Key Largo. Her line, "You know how to whistle don't you Frank? You just put your lips together and blow" is an all-time film noir classic.

I LOVE that film! The scene where the guy's suit is getting pumped full of sewage is what convinced my wife to not stay up for the rest of the film (we rented it and she just got up and went to bed.)

K