(NFR) Waterproof camera - Pentax Optio WPi

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Starman77, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

I recently found out about this Pentax Optio WPi digital camera that is reputedly waterproof down to 5 feet for 30 minutes. After having ruined three good cameras while fishing, I'm thinking this might be a good investment. Has anyone actually used the Pentax Optio WPi (6 mega pixels) or the WP (5 mega pixels) and have any opinions to share?

Rex

2. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Waterproof camera - Pentax Optio WPi

I have the WPi, and it is extremely sweet. I cant say I have used it under water though, but it features are many and they easy to find and use. I took it to the ronde, whhich sucked ***to say the least, so I havent really used it much. Good so far though. Good luck

3. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Waterproof camera - Pentax Optio WPi

I have had the WP for just over a year. It is a great little camera. I have had it out on my pontoon, in the rain and around the salt with no mishaps. My fishing partner used it to film the final moments of catching a 15 pound Coho in the Situk last year in Alaska. The video was clear and the fly looked electric in the jaw of the salmon. I would strongly recommend the camera even if you don't use it underwater. The waterproof feature makes it great for unplanned dunkings.
    My only critique is the inability to put a polarized filter on the lens of the 5mp. I don't know if that feature is available on the 6. Good luck, Steve

4. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

Make sure you have a chain around your wrist when taking picks in swift water, hate to see it go bye bye.

5. brach_rick

brach_rick Member

I've had mine for about 3-4 months and everything is working perfectly. I haven't taken any pictures under water yet, but plenty in the rain and snow.

Brach

6. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Don't rule out the option of buying a waterproof housing either. There are housings available for most mid-range to high-end point and shoot cameras. That gives you a little more flexibility in finding a camera with the features and specs you're looking for rather than having to settle for one of two choices.

7. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

I have the Optio WP and really like it. Start up is quick, auto-focus isn't that fastest but is more than adequate and imaging time is acceptable albeit not blazingly fast. But given what I bought it for I don't think there is a better camera on the market right now.

One caveat though: since the lens has no cover you have to be conscious of it's condition. For instance, while in Montana we were fishing on a cool, rainy day and I was intermittently taking it out of the pocket of my waterproof jacket to snap some pictures. I hadn't realized that by placing the camera in the pocket next to my body that a slight amount of condensation had covered the lens resulting in a few slightly out of focus shots.

Just found this on the Pentax site and thought it was pretty cool. A silicone "skin" similar to those available for the iPod. Might have to pick one of those up.

http://www.h20camera.com/consumer/buy.jsp

Jim Jones

Attached Files:

8. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

Thanks for all the great feedback on the WP! I figured there must be other fishermen who are looking for a waterproof digital camera and already researched this subject. It is good to see so many positive comments about this camera. Are there any other alternatives to the Pentax Optio WP or WPi in the waterproof category that you guys considered before buying the Pentax? I'm not aware of any others, but I'm sure they must exist.

Rex

9. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    I picked up a cannon SD200, and got an underwater housing for it. I used it for the first time today and was pretty pleased with it. The underwater stuff worked fine, but I was more pleased that I didn't have to worry about the rain and just constant dampness of the pacific northwest.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00064O1P0/ref=dp_primary-product-display_0/104-2399414-9415911?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=502394&s=photo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/im...9415911?_encoding=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

While I don't think anyone should just go out and buy the camera I got, I am pleased with both the housing and the camera have performed.

10. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

That housings flash diffuser looks like one of it's best features. My old camera's housing had one but not as big, and it wasn't effective. The underwater shots usually were littered with heavily lighted crap in the water.