NFR: WFF on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Ed Call, Dec 6, 2010.

1. headstrong1

headstrong1 youngish old guy

Home Page:
    Wow that is extremely depressing.

2. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

That was my first reaction too! But instead of buying stock, I've got all these flyrods as a sort of consolation prize.

K

3. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Beer as an Investment

•If you purchased $1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you will have $49.00 today.

•If you purchased $1,000 of shares in AIG one year ago, you will have $33.00 today.

•If you purchased $1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers one year ago, you will have $0.00 today.

•But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank it all, then turned in the aluminum cans for recycling refunds, you will have received $214.00.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.:beathead::beathead::beathead:bawling:

4. BFK

BFK Member

Here's another thought-- your girls will be using your computer (assuming they don't have their own), and a Mac is pretty intuitive for doing things like slides shows, videos, and so on. My son surprised me at how quickly he picked up using a Mac, and how much it would do. Now, he prefers a PC for gaming ...sigh. But if he wants to do something like a video or a presentation for school, he ends up on my Mac. Besides, Mac often is the platform of preference for schools. And it certainly is for publishing because of its ease of dealing with graphics. I know the art department of one of the magazines I work for was thrilled when they were able to switch to Macs.

I don't know enough about PCs to draw any comparisons, but my low-end iMac comes with iPhoto, which is kinda like Photoshop, and things like GarageBand and so on.

5. Caveman

Caveman Member

Went to a mac a year ago, computer doesn't crash and runs way better than any Microsoft BS.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Try Windows 7.

7. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

You would have no problems with WFF with a mac.
    I would suggest using either Chrome or Firefox.

Very rarely, you may find a site that requires IE, and then you'd be out of luck, but usually said sites are either deeply buried behind corporate firewalls, and only intended to inflict pain on the corporations employees (not the general public) or a very small number of governments sites... I ran into one when I was opening my business last year. (I can't remember if it was a city, county, or state site, but I couldn't fill out the form using firefox or Safari on the mac. I was shocked.)

In general if browsing and personal email are what you want, you'll not notice much difference between Windows and Mac for those tasks. That's just my opinion, of course.

Paul

8. Paul Norton

Paul Norton Member

My experience has been the opposite. Publishers I've dealt with have been PC based.

Designers, Ad Agencies, etc, sure, they're usually Mac based, but publishers (book, newspaper and magazine at least) are usually on Windows machines.

Not that this has anything to do with Ed's surfing habits.

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

If you'd purchased a share of Microsoft a year ago for $29.79, you'd have lost $2.95 as of today's close, a 10% loss. If you'd bought a share of Apple a year ago for $180.95, at it's close today of $320.05 (a 52 week high) you'd be up $131 or 72%. A designer friend bought a hundred shares of Apple years ago at $13 a share. His $1,300 investment topped $32,000 today.

K

10. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    Yes, I remember 3.1 fixed by 95, 95 fixed by 98, 98 fixed by ME, oops scratch that, 98SE fixed by 2000, 2000 fixed by XP, XP actually worked so MS fixed it by VISTA, oops scratch that, VISTA fixed by Windows 7.

Not a fan of either system, but if you have kids get a Mac.

Hell, you should get a Mac for surfing the net and keep your MS machine in a very safe place.

IF your not into computing as a hobby get a Mac.

However, my ex-employer was a MS environment and I still find it easier for some stuff.

11. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Those older Windows OS are why I went Mac and stayed Mac for a decade. It wasn't until Win 7 that I was back on PC full time (had both until a year ago). They FINALLY got it right. And they did a damn good job of it.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

My girls already can run my wife's Win7 system. There has to be a compelling reason that someone can offer to spend twice the cash...anyone? This POS Dell running WinXP has seen me all the way through the past 5 years, has crashed maybe a couple of times, both recently, and saw some pretty heavy use as I finished my active duty career and degree program. I'm thinking of change just for change because sometimes we tend to overlook the other options sticking with that which we know. I know my $$ though and unless there is something that can really blow my doors off I can get myself a new laptop that is a PC and each girl can have a netbook...for less than a Mac.

What am I missing?

13. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

If you already have a significant investment in PC software and would have to purchase new software for your Mac, your effective costs will increase even more than you first calculated (computer = hardware + software). Ed, do you like to buy a new car every two or three years or do you prefer to run your vehicle into the ground? If you are in the first category, buy a PC, a cheap PC, and be prepared to replace it in two or three years. If you are in the second category, buy a Mac (or a better quality PC) and it will serve you for 6 - 8 years. In the second case, your initial investment will be the cheaper option in the long run.

Steve

14. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Look at an 6-8 year old mac. They age like hookers.

15. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Steve, good point. There are other factors that I've not yet revealed in totality. My work uses an all MS enterprise. In order for them to allow me to access this entire enerprises system I have to use a PC platform from afar. This can save gas sometimes as I might be "confined" at work at home vice the cubicle with a commute both ways. I don't want to run my rig into the ground, but I do demand that it be quality such that I can enjoy it for a longer time. I'm not a lease guy with regard to vehicles, never have been and try to take care of my vehicles (and in this case my laptop) for the longer haul. This POS laptop also served as my only computer for two full years of 60+ hours a week consuting services that put pretty high demands on what I use it for.

I think that for the $$ in question, as I think Steve is indicating, that I can get a lot more PC bang for the buck. Since my whole computing world revolves around PC based software currently, I'm invested. Not so much that I'm blind to the obvious, but so far the obvious reason to change is merely my willingness to try something new.

My girls can learn anything, including astrophysics, so any computer will soon be a tool in their toolbox that they can use masterfully.