(NFR) You won't believe this......

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jason Baker, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Citori

Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Snake, I never said "without input", I said "without blindly following". Trouble is, there is too much input, and a severe shortage of answers.

I for one use many sources, but I attempt to find documentable print media, and then research the footnoted sources. Right now, Bob Woodward's latest book is top of my bedside stand. My master's prof had a favorite saying, opinions are like a$$holes, everybody's got one. There is a heavy fertilizer factor, but there is some semi-reliable information out there. But, like I said, few answers. Lots more armchair quarterbacking. As for unamerican, you will have to search your own conscience for that answer.

2. Snake

Snake tryin' not to get too comfortable

ALL journalism should be subjected to peer review and criticism. Otherwise, how can the average person judge the veracity of what they are reading/seeing, which ultimately goes on to shapes their beliefs?

Admittedly, I spewed my facts after a quick google search and brief perusal of the literature, trying to get my info right. Again, how do you REALLY know what's going on if you can't trust the source?

Apologies if my numbers were way off. It wasn't an intentional left-wing ploy.

Good discussion, though. But I've had enough of it, and now I just want to go fishing.

3. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

iagree

What is really pissing me off right now is the Seahawks!:mad:

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Give me a break. "Bushees"??? Because there are a varity of perspectives on this, you choose to label those that are opposed to your line of thinking as "Bushees"... You are right about one thing. So much for liberal sterotypes - you know, the one about "open minded liberals"... :hmmm:

5. Snake

Ahh, give him some slack, it's his first posting, and I don't think he's attuned to the nuances of "public discussion".

At least he questioned the rules of the forum before throwing his words in, and nobody responded, so I'd be willing to let it slide this time. I mean, here we are flagrantly violating the rules of the site, by discussing political issues strictly unrelated to fly fishing, but it's been civil and enlightening (so far), so the moderators have let it go on.

But hey "RockyMntC&R" (and everybody else reading this)....... before you post something that has your blood pressure in the danger zone, and your fists clenched over the keyboard, let it rest for at least a day before you throw it out for public consumption. Think about how your words will resonate with those reading them. Don't be a dick, or nobody will take you seriously, and yeah, you might get booted from the site.

If you have something to say, say it logically and intelligently, but don't "take the argument to the man", or assume that your beliefs and precepts are any better than anyone else's.

Play well with others , or the moderator will pull your soapbox out from under your feet in a second, and rightly so.

6. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Snake....my new drinking and debating bud!:beer2:

But I gotta disagree with you man and disregard your advice!

:mad: My blood pressure is up, and my fists are clenched.....stupid Sehawks game!:beathead:

Andrew

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words" - W. Churchill

7. Snake

Ahh, I never did walk away from a free beer or a lively debate, and I got the scars to prove it, if not the indigestion!, from eating my own words.:rofl: :rofl:

Boo, you gotta have the best closing quotes of anyone on the whole site!

I threw this to Boo/Andrew in a PM:

"Maybe we'll run into each other on a river some day, and we'll be able to see that what unites us is much stronger than what divides us."

We really all are in this together, and brothers and sisters
    at the core.

8. Split Bamboo

Split Bamboo Member

Thanks, if only they were my quotes! But since we have moved this discussion into the realm of drinking....here are two of my favorites!

Andrew

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

"I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."

Both from Winston Churchill, imagin getting quotes like those from todays politicians!

9. RockyMtnC&R

RockyMtnC&R Banned or Parked

From North Seattle, Currently Living In Silverthor
    Chadk:
    EVERYONE uses labels, stereotypes and generalizations to some degree. To what extent, and whether or not they use them consciously, or subconsciously is the only uncertain variable. I guess I might have wrongfully assumed the average person that would be on the other side of the fence with respect to this issue is a Bushee, just as you wrongfully assumed I am a liberal. I am NOT a liberal! I am VERY middle of the road. I believe the republicans are a party with BAD ideas, and the democrats are a party with NO ideas!(Lewis Black)

Snake:
    I am new to WFF, NOT, posting on public forums. Also, im a big boy, and can defend myself, thanks. I realize you probably didn't mean any disrespect, but you did come off a little bit patronizing, FYI. Not a big deal though, this is a public forum, and if I'm gonna dish it out, I gotta be willing to take it, just like everyone else. "The message, not the messenger" seems to be a pretty common theme around here(there is even an entire thread on it, lol). Why isn't it, "if you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen?" As long as nobody curses, threatens, or violates a declared rule as outlined by site admin., I say BRING IT ON!

10. tythetier

tythetier Fish Slayer

Mission Acomplished......

11. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

In reading though this pissing match earlier I swore that I wouldn't get sucked in but Snake's comment above begs a reply.

Phillip Graham said that "Journalism is the first rough draft of history." As a first draft it is indeed subject to revision, editing and rewriting. But the necessary perspective to do so with any degree of accuracy comes only with time and reflection. Otherwise it's far too easy to champion or dismiss events when viewed through the less-than-objective lenses of partisanship and passion.

K

12. JS

JS Active Member

You won't believe this......

Says the pot to the kettle.....

13. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I liked that Graham quote so much I found another, even better one:

"With the possible exception of things like box scores, race results, and stock market tabulations, there is no such thing as Objective Journalism. The phrase itself is a pompous contradiction in terms."

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72

K

14. Cactus

Cactus Dana Miller

While I find H.S. Thompson to be an example of a first class a$$hole and self agrandizing fool, I have to admit that that statement is quite perceptive.

Must have been during one of his few lucid moments!ptyd

15. Snake

Here's a couple of my favorite drinking quotes:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry.

"My dad was the town drunk. Most of the time that's not so bad; but New York City?"
    Henry Youngman.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
    Ernest Hemmingway.

"He was a wise man who invented beer."
    Plato.

"All right, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me - so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer."
    Homer Simpson.