Nice Steelhead Run

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Brian Simonseth, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

I'm confused - someone said this mystery run is Oh Soo Long, and Oh Soo Wide and gets BORING to fish, but the swing is perfect.......How could anyone get BORED in a run like that? If its a Long, Wide run with a Perfect Swing......why the hell would anyone want to go anywhere else? Isnt that what we quest after in the pursuit of Chrominess? :confused:

2. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Home Page:
    Oh, I see where this is now. I used to have a job for UW on that river system back in the 70's. When did all those islands appear? One fall, we made some passes through there with a piece of gillnet to get a couple of chinook for hatchery experiments. Isn't YT sort of right, the mixmaster is just out of sight in the foreground?

Disreputable punks from Concrete would throw a shopping cart or something similar into the river through here. Later in the spring once the water went down a bit, they could retrieve all kinds of gear, spoons, flies, leads, corkies.

3. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Paul,

Sounds like those punks from Concrete were being inventive. They don't have a lot of spare money in Concrete and need to aquire thier tackle in some manner.

The islands started to appear after the flood last year and continue to grow and move to this day. Lots of gravel and silt still moving around up there. A major channel change above the run. The main channel is now to the north side as you approach this area from upstream and then quickly moves to the south side as you come around the new gravel bar/island forming above the top end of the run. Our first trip down the river in the sled last year was a bit interesting as we found the new channels at top speed. Some emergency maneuvers were necessary to avoid a grounding.

4. Brian Simonseth

Brian Simonseth Banned or Parked

Paul

It’s kind of like hand grenades, your dead or your alive.

5. inland

inland Active Member

Luv2,

Have ya ever fished that run before?

I put my time in there because you can always get lucky, even when the river has been stable and clear for an extended period. But after you go 20 times through a run that takes several hours to cover, all without a sniff, staring at a clearcut, it gets old. If conditions are RIGHT, it is one of the BEST winter steelhead runs anywhere. Otherwise there are better options.

That river can flat dish out an ass whooping like few others. Even under premium conditions. Knowing WHEN and WHERE to fish is what separates Ed Ward (or anybody with similar experience) from the pack. Covering 300 yards of barren water, no matter how good the fly swings, proves futile and wastes valuable time that should have been spent where the fish actually ARE.

William

6. Brian Simonseth

Brian Simonseth Banned or Parked

I couldn't have said it any better William!

7. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

The mountains in the background make the river pretty much a dead give away. Looks suspiciously like a run I fished last spring. Inland's assessment sounds spot on based on my very limited experience there. That big water makes for good casting practice though. A spey rod definitely helps here - if only I could figure out how to cast the darn thing.

8. Luv2flyfish

Luv2flyfish Another Flyfisherman

Inland - I hear ya. A valid point. Usually, places that look like that will hold steelhead. Sort of reminds me of a certain stretch of water in SW WA that is frequented by many many people. Its a few hundred yard long, wide, and with a perfect swing. I guess the upside is that there is ALWAYS a Schteely in there.

If people from Concrete go shopping for lures its a river that I dont know. I dont fish up that way very often.