night fishing?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by fly physher, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Connor H

Connor H Bobbers n Beadz

999th post. The brunton stuff is top of the line. If you are going to get serious about night fishing, get a brunton!

2. Paul Stavig

Paul Stavig Member

Another piece of necessary equipment would be sunglasses with clear lenses. Casting in the dark significantly increases your chances of snaring your eyeball! Ouch.

3. FLYRODR

FLYRODR Guest

Just returned from three days at Leech and Dog Lakes. Did the night thing once and action was very steady. Since you should be pounding the weedlines at night, I strongly recommend short-lining it (max around 20' casts) and reducing your false casting to maybe once or twice. No need to have a bunch of line nesting in your lap and the fish are way more aggressive in the dark.

4. wannafish

wannafish In search of Blinky...

I usually just troll at night because it's just easier (and easier to smoke a cigar). Doesn't work to well if you need to get the fly in the weeds or towards the bank though. It kind of trips me out having the fly whizzing past my head in the dark. I prefer no light but carry a mini-mag, headlamp, and my GPS. I pretty much only fish lakes that would be easy to find the launch in the dark but the GPS speeds it up a bit. I usually plot a waypoint for the launch and another out in the middle of the lake from the launch (a point you can kick to from anywhere on the lake, then go strait to the launch from there). Gets dark out there...

5. John Dougher

John Dougher Member

Another thought or two on night fishing; if you are going to tie “glow in the dark” flies, you might want to pick up some small glow in the dark corkies, .14 ea. Push them over the eye of the hook, maybe a size 6, tie in a small amount of yarn @ the top and cement corkie to yarn. Use with a red hook or tie your favorite egg pattern.
    Years ago, when I was teaching myself to cast, I read about taking a fly line and cutting it into 10’ lengths. Reattaching with a nail knot and you could than “listen” to how much fly line you have out. Never tried it but this should work for night fishing.

6. Ace Stalone

Ace Stalone New Member

My buddies and I always string up several rods with flies before heading out for the night, and then strap the extra rods to the back of our watercraft. When the rod your fishing goes all rats nest, just toss it to the side and grab the next rod.

7. Chap310

Chap310 New Member

Lots of good info here. Clear glasses to protect the eyes, strong headlamp with spotlight, heavy tippet because the fish can't see and are much more aggresive, short leaders, big ugly flies and hold on. But don't expect it to be easy, gotta pay your dues.

8. Starman77

Starman77 Active Member

I really enjoy night fishing on lakes. It is usually peaceful, quiet and there are usually not many other fishermen out there. You often have a great view of the stars, planets, meteors and satellites crossing the sky. The bigger fish often are more active at night, and to me it is more exciting to get that big hit in the dark than in daylight. And, some of the most amazing insect hatches happen at dusk or at night.

I usually leave my headlamp off except for when I land and release a fish or have to tie on a new fly. I mainly do this to keep the bugs from being attracted to my headlamp. Be careful if it is foggy, drizzly or snowing as your headlamp won't help you much because it just reflects off the fog or snow and you can't see much or very far. If you do go out in those conditions, take a compass so you can find your way back to camp, the boat launch or the proper shore.

Practice casting your setup in daylight before trying it in the dark. Strip out a set amount of line, like maybe eight pulls of line from your reel, then cast it out and then count how many strips it takes before you need to cast again (in my case, it is usually around 24 strips). This is important to know because you otherwise will not know when to start casting again in the dark and you’ll often strip in the fly too far and have to waste time getting your fly line back out through the guides. It is not important to make long casts at night; no one can see you and the fish don’t care. Don’t worry about maintaining tight loops; wide, open loops are less likely to get tangled in the dark. If you have trouble casting at night, just forget about casting and just let out line and troll along in your float tube or boat until you’ve let out all the line you’ve stripped off the reel.

If you have trouble casting to the edges, then just try fishing over the shoals or drop-offs, as I find just as many fish there as on the edges at night.

The mosquitoes can be bad at night, especially right at dusk, so be prepared and carry your favorite insect repellent. My favorite is 3M Ultrathon.

Be safe so you won’t be sorry… When fishing at night, there usually aren’t many other fisherman out on the lake, so getting help quickly is not a likely option. Fish a lake you know well or fish with someone who does.

Rex

9. barbless

barbless Member

10. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Home Page:
    I found that other than the headlamp I needed short leaders. I mostly fish big flies on sinking lines at night.