Nite Boss a classic original

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Kevin Giusti, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Kevin Giusti

Kevin Giusti New Member

With water levels LOW here in Norcal and the local area rivers closed due to low flow i have been heading North to the South Fork of the Eel river. I was reading some articles on the old time tiers (Lloyd Sylvius,Jim Pray,etc.) So what Ive done is tie up a few of the old patterns like Nite owl, thor and polar shrimps among others and this weekend I am going to fish mostly these classic patterns. With only a few lickers and no biters I should have just as good a chance as any. I know back in the day these flies did there share of catching so it ought to be interesting to try. But of course I couldnt resist tying up something new. Ive had something like this in mind for a while and finally sat down and tied one. I call it the Nite Boss as it is part nite owl and part boss. I tied it with four bead eyes also, I like the looks of it but who know what the fish will think. Just thought I would share with you all. Good fishing! Kevin

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

I went to Humboldt State in the early 80s. I used to tie and fish the whole "Optic" range. Those flies and your example work fine. To be honest from the russian river north I've never seen anything outfish a silver bodied orange boss for low water. Great salmon flies as well. Thanks for reminding me.