Non hunters owning bird dogs

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by ribka, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Why are you defending the blonde, Ed? I mean, do dogs, er do blondes, have brains?

Evan Burck and Alex MacDonald like this.
  2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

Clearly the one in the video is amazing! Amazing in the sense that a creature that stupid can actually form words. But then again, I pretty much stopped listening to her and focused on the other assets...:D

Evan Burck likes this.
  3. martyg

martyg Active Member

I could not have said it better! Well done!

Dan Nelson likes this.
  4. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    +1

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I have some other neighbors with puggles. Can anyone tell me what the hell a puggle is supposed to do? Because all they do is escape and come over and shit in my yard. If that's theire purpose, then their owners are saints.

Steve Call and bennysbuddy like this.
  7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Tom, I have no idea why many Seattle folks are passive/agressive, but they are. They have this no guns stance that one would think implies some sort of peaceful demeanor and yet they jump down your throats with their rhetoric. Don't even get me started with how they drive...:rolleyes:

If one believes that dogs are bred for a purpose and display instinct and prey drive, I think that breed should be used as such. Dogs need a "job". Otherwise they get a little "goofy".

I find it much easier to just stay away from Seattle all together and the folks that tend to live there. I sure don't get in conversations with them...:D

I'm looking for a window of opportunity to come visit soon...take care

rankin76 and Jim Ficklin like this.
  8. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Nor do I. And there seems to be a fair representation of those on this forum. If you dislike/disapprove of certain things/posts/photos/someone else's fishing day of a lifetime . . . so be it. Don't chastise anyone on this forum because their beliefs/philosophies/experiences don't meet your personal expectations. If you don't like the post, ignore it. Educating folks is one thing; verbally assaulting them is another.

ALL dogs should be exercised/provided ample stimulation. Bird dogs hunt; THAT is their thing . . . birds are an elixir. If you don't realize that and own a frustrated hunting breed, I truly feel sorry for the dog.

How happy would, say a fishing guide be if he were to be "adopted" and never be exposed to fishing again? Would he be slighted had he met someone on the street, asked a friendly question, and been treated to "Hooks," "A fisherman." Just asking. Small wonder I don't visit here as much anymore . . . too many replies have become "vexations to the spirit."

freestoneangler likes this.
  9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I dunno guys... I have seen a whole bunch of sporting breed dogs in my life that are owned by folks who never or rarely hunt with them and they seem very happy and well balanced. Totally get the basic premise here, but I fall into that category...are you suggesting we not have a yellow lab?

What about hunt like activities that folks get these dogs involved with; field trials, search & rescue, narcotics and bomb search, etc. ... these certainly use the DNA chains and natural skills. Conversely, I had a good friend who had a lab that was trained for duck hunting, got training exercise fairly regularly, but lived in a kennel outside and was alone much of the day...to me he seemed more a tool than mans best friend. In the end, I suspect dogs adjust to the lifestyle of whoever takes GOOD care of them and I would rather see any dog with anyone who can provide good care as opposed to one that gets to hunt all the time but is simply a hunting tool and gets marginal care.

Just my .02 cents... please, no "vexations to the spirit" (I like that one) :D.

rankin76 and Steve Call like this.
  10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Re-reading the post I think it was more about culture shock that someone from the 509 might experience in Seattle, not a lecture on what you should or should not do with your dogs.

Islander and constructeur like this.
  11. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald that's His Lordship, to you.....

I work my two field trialers daily, usually around 9am, on mark/retrieve/hunt dead and so forth. It's what they both live for, and they get plenty of exercise doing it. On rereading Tom's post though, I'd have shut the little ferret up with a really snide "well, you certainly are as stupid as you look" remark, and just walked off. They way I see it, people like those are my enemies. Their lives are usually devoted to eliminating my opportunities to hunt and enjoy that major part of my life. Anytime I can return the favor, I will. They're already certain in their heart of hearts, that I'm a total Neandertal, and they're NEVER willing to hear a different argument. Every chance they get, the let you know how much more educated they are than you, how much more "evolved", and how much better they are. To them, you're just a poor lump of shit. To me, they're worth about as much as a skeet-after it's left the high house.

yellowlab03 and constructeur like this.
  12. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:

Well said. By the standards some here have expressed no labrador retriever should work as a seeing eye dog, a drug-sniffing dog, a therapy dog -- or as my last two labs have done, work as hiking and fishing companions. That's not what they were bred for, so that's not what they want to do.

Damn, my yellow lab Parka never hunted a day of her life. She hiked more than 8,000 wilderness trail miles with me after having all four legs surgically repaired (genetic problems) before she was two, but by the standards of some of the posters here, I should have agreed with my original "hunting vet" and just put her down rather than go forward with the surgeries. Apparently her full active outdoor life was mis-spent because she never retrieved a bird. Forget that she helped me write a book about hiking with dogs. Forget she was a model in LL Bean, Early Winters and Cabelas catalogs. Forget that she got more wilderness experience than 95 percent of all "hunting" dogs. She didn't hunt, and she lived on the west side so she was miserable! Likewise, Sophie doesn't hunt. She is a yellow lab. She hikes and fishes with me, spending upwards of 120 days a year in the field. But she too lives in Western Washington, and she does NOT hunt, so she is miserable, right? WTF?