North west- south west- western Montana

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Eric Denny

Eric Denny Summer is over but I'm still fishing!!

I looking to do some camping this spring and summer taking the wife and 3 kids ages 13, 6, and 4months. Trying to PM someone with knowledge of this half of montana about some good streams with nice primitive camp spots and it you can get me close to a lake all the better but the last of things I'm looking for more interested in under populated spots with large numbers and large fish. I am asking for PMs because I understand that not everything is for everyone and not everyone wants to openly talk about spots in that part of the state or any part of the state so if you can PM me if your willing to talk about this I can give more details and ask questions about spots I have already heard about. Thanks for this who respond.

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

Eric are you looking for one spot to go camp and fish? of are you willing to move around a bit?

3. Eric Denny

Oh camp in one spot but have no problem making drives to reach what I need.:) so if you know a couple different spots to go that I can drive to shot me a pm and tell me about them probably wouldn't want to move camp as I have a 4month old but also thinking of doing a couple day trip with my son. And am down to so that with him, much easier with a 13 year old who wants to fish to.

4. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    Hi Eric - be on lookout for PM from me. Best, Brian

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

The Ruby(upper) has one CG on it and several rough CG's. Big Sheep creek has one campground on it and several rough ones. Rock Creek has several CG's on it. In Montana where the skinny waters run down hill, you will find where people have camped at and not in a campground. Camping is allowed in most CG's for up to 16 days in some. You don't need a pass to camp, But you do need to bring your own water. But some CG's do have water

Eric Denny likes this.
  6. Eric Denny

Thanks for the PM's and keep them coming! I might spend all summer over there!!:)

7. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Eric, I think it would be safer and more practical if you broke it up into two or more trips. If you hike or backpack into the mountains with one or both of your older children, your wife and baby would have to be alone in base camp. They'd probably be safe, but that's not assured, and I don't think it would be much fun for them.

8. Eric Denny

True!! And I am thinking about taking a weekend trip with my oldest(13). But I don't know if hiking in would work as I would only have a couple days.

9. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

look at georgetown lake area. central to rock creek, bighole, and clark fork. small streams also. your choice of easy little fish, a shot at big fish,small water, big water, and a lake or two. never heard of grizzly encounters either, but watch out for the diaper hatch at the lake. i'd avoid any time before mid july this year, or fish lakes and tailwaters. a huge snowpack will make for an interesting early summer.

Eric Denny likes this.
  10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I already do.

Eric Denny and Jim Speaker like this.
  11. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:

The campground on Big Sheep creek is pretty wide open, and the area, as much as I love it, is a bit desolate for the little ones to enjoy a whole lot. The campgrounds on Rock Creek are beautiful, though. I'm no Montana expert, but I've been to those places and more, as an annual pilgrimage usually works out in the Fall for me.

12. Eric Denny

Your one lucky man old man!!

13. Eric Denny

Oh and for those sending me PMs and helping me out guess I should state I will be walk wading no boat.

14. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

when are you going ? or still undecided?

15. Eric Denny

Well I am going to make a couple trips at the least but I think my big stay will be July or August.

Old Man likes this.