Northern Caddis Pupae color

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by ceviche, May 8, 2017.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

While I don't have a picture of what I assume was an adult Northern Caddis (seen on the surface of a Puget Sound Lowland lake and ginger colored as it worked its wings into shape), what I'm interested in is the color of the pupa form. I've been snooping all kinds of books and across the Internet, and I still haven't found anything obvious. Can anyone help me out with this?

2. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi ceviche-

Sorry, but this is an likely an impossible task absent a photo of the emerging caddisfly.

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

Caddis pupae, of course, occur in a variety of colors depending on the species. None of my sources identify "Northern Caddis" as a species. Just a note on nomenclature: Pupae is the plural form (singular: "pupa", just as larva is singular and larvae plural).

4. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Yeah, I should've considered that and the vagaries of ID: antenna length, wing pattern and shape, overall length, etc...

I'll do better next time.

--Dave

5. Taxon

Taxon Moderator Staff Member

Hi Preston,

Northern Caddisflies (or Northern Casemakers) are common names for Trichoptera family Limnephilinae. You probably already know that. However, for others who don't, here is a link to Caddisfly Taxonomic Structure.