Not a good WDFW story

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Reelucky, Aug 1, 2009.

1. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

What a bunch of Bull$hit!!

What does it list as the infraction on the ticket? I believe there should be a number citing a specific infraction. Then we can figure out excatly what you were cited for.

2. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Since we all pinch our barbs in regulated waters, this is of interest to a pretty good portion of this board. Who do we contact to find out the official ruling? And if enough of us do contact them, maybe they'll get the point...

3. Scott Keith

Scott Keith Member

I looked on my Catch record card for this year and it no longer says "record any fish retained" It now says "Do not record released fish"... maybe enough people complained and that's why it has changed.

Since we are all so passionate about this issue... who wants to pitch in and cover his missed wages so that he can challenge it in court? Anyone?

While I would hope that the infraction does get challenged I can understand the OP's reasonings for going to work and getting a paycheck instead.

As far as barbless hooks go... if I am fishing on a river with a barbless hook but I have flies with me (That I'm not fishing with...) that aren't barbless is there any danger there?

4. bouface

bouface Member

Also, even if your friends are going to pay their fines, tell them to call the number on the ticket and ask for a reduction. Reductions to 2/3 of the fine are granted nearly all the time, and you don't have to come to court to do it.

5. Walt K

Walt K Searcher

Under the definition of "Hook" in the regs, "barbless" means "a hook from which all barbs have been deleted when manufactured, filed off, or pinched down." To me, "pinched down" implies that there's still a bump from the former barb, so I guess the question for the fishcop/judge is whether the bump has an edge that can still snag anything.

Edit: just saw that the definition had been posted above. Sorry for the duplication. I also checked the Washington State Register, and it uses the same definition as the reg book:

WAC 232-12-001 Definition of terms. Definitions used in rules of the commission are defined in RCW 77.08.010. In addition, unless otherwise provided:

(5) "Hook" means one single, double, or treble hook. A "single hook" means a hook having a single point; a "double hook" means a hook having two points on a common shank; and a "treble hook" means a hook having three points on a common shank. "Barbless hook" means a hook on which all barbs have been deleted when manufactured, filed off, or pinched down.

6. Reelucky

Reelucky New Member

I'm looking at the ticket and it says "Did unlawfully fish in Marine area with barbed hooks"

Hooks? It was a single hook with a nub.I never noticed the "hooks" part.

RCW 77.15.1602 is the violation code

7. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

plead not guilty

8. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Alright, I checked the RCW (revised code of Washington) the actual law you are being accused of violating 77.15.1602
    It breaks down like this
    title 77 -fish and wildlife
    chapter 77.15 -fish and wildlife enforcement code
    next is 77.15.160- infractions, record catch, barbed hooks, other rule violation
    so 77.15.1602 is defined as "fishes for personal using barbed hooks in violation of any rule
    You can check it all out here http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.15.160

So that tells you what you are being cited for which is consistent with what the officer said and wrote. I would say contest the ticket and take your lures in and show the judge that there pinched and you were following the law.

9. Jerry Knudson

Jerry Knudson New Member

Well I got a reply from WDFW and it is copied below..... They didn't really clear anything up, but I think I will keep a copy with my liscense just to show if need be....

Thank you for your e-mail correspondence to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) Fish Program.

Your best source for information on licenses, daily limits, season, restrictions, etc. would be the 2009/2010 Fishing In Washington Sport Fishing Rules regulation pamphlet. This pamphlet is full of a lot of useful information, such as license fees for both resident and non-resident on page 18. This publication is formatted with the regulations for Westside Rivers first, followed by Westside Lakes, Eastside Rivers, Eastside Lakes, Marine Area Rules and finally Shellfish/Seaweed Rules. There is also a list of the 6 Regional offices that are located throughout the state, with phone numbers included, on page 11.

As per page 96, under Tackle/Gear Rules, the regulation pamphlet states: HOOK AND LINE ANGLING - Unless noted differently, only one line with up to 2 hooks is allowed. Barbless hooks are required for all species in Marine Areas 5-13, except forage fish jig gear. When fishing for SALMON in Marine Areas 1-13, only single-point hooks may be used.

What you can do is either file the barbs down, or pinch them down. Both are perfectly legal methods for turning a barbed hook into a barbless hook. Whichever method you choose, test them by gently running your finger across the place where the barb use to be. If your finger slides smoothly, without catching or snagging, you will be good to go.

If you do not have a copy of the new regulation pamphlet, you can respond with your surface mailing address and we would be happy to send one to you, or with your internet capability, you may view/download the WDFW online pamphlet at the following web address: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/2009/2009sportregs.pdf.

Please make sure you check for emergency rule changes before you harvest as follows:

Fishing Rule Change Hotline at (360) 902-2500 Shellfish Rule Change Hotline at 1-866-880-5431 Or, try our new searchable emergency rule link off our website at: https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/index.jsp

Additionally, for shellfish, make sure to call the Dept. of Health Marine Toxins PSP Hotline at 1-800-562-5632.

If you have further questions, please email again or call (360) 902-2700. Our Customer Service hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,

Fish Program

10. Reelucky

Reelucky New Member

Ohhhhh Thank you!!! Gently rub your finger down the hook. That is even better than the poke your t-shirt with it!!!

I am feeling more confident now.

11. Jake Bannon

Jake Bannon nymphs for steelhead....

I completly agree that your ticket was complete shit. I love to see WDFW out checking as many of you said but many times it seems like they write up the the wrong people. Recently we were ticketed for not having our WDFW access parking pass on our mirror after we slid the boat in. It was in our glove box but after he scanned our wild ID number into his computer he knew we had it. I normaly wouldnt get mad over this but almost no one puts that shit up! I know they're just doing their job but somtimes they make my head spin....

12. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
    was checked by a young buck, tall dark haired guy about late twenties, early thirties, kinda reminded me of pacman from the movie "colors". (sean penn) young, eager to bust, and full of rookie testosterone. i was suiting up and he comes over, grabs my rod from the inside of my truck and tells me im illegal. BUG OFF!!!! he wanted to write a ticket sooooo bad but standing in a parking lot with barbed hook is not illegal last i heard, BEAT IT!!! he did tell me tho if the fly was wet he could ticket me, GOOBLE BALLS!!!

im out- bhudda

13. jcnewbie

jcnewbie Member

Waitwait....,"he reaches inside your truck & grabs your rod and tells you you're illegal? Are you serious? He didn't ASK to see your gear/equipment first? Not even a minimal amount of diplomacy in his demeanor? WTF?

....BTW, what were you doing with a "barbed hook" on your rod anyhow? :eek: NOMB.....Just curious, thaz'all....ha!:hmmm:

Jc:)

14. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Some saltwater hooks like Mustad 3407 or 34007 often snap off leaving a slight bump. I wonder if this is considered barbed? I'm all for barbless hooks unless some jackass makes an ignorantly over-the-top deal out of it. Common sense should figure into the method for determining what constitutes a legally debarbed hook.
    Les Johnson

15. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Bhudda: "was checked by a young buck, tall dark haired guy about late twenties, early thirties, kinda reminded me of pacman from the movie "colors". (sean penn) young, eager to bust, and full of rookie testosterone. i was suiting up and he comes over, grabs my rod from the inside of my truck and tells me im illegal. BUG OFF!!!! he wanted to write a ticket sooooo bad but standing in a parking lot with barbed hook is not illegal last i heard, BEAT IT!!! he did tell me tho if the fly was wet he could ticket me, GOOBLE BALLS!!!"

Get this: I ran into a guy that fits the description you gave when I was fishing the south Sound. He chatted with me for a minute, didn't ask to see my license or check my fly for barbed/non-barbed. I ran into him a little later in the day again. I stopped him and asked a couple of questions regarding access, etc. Again he didn't check me. I then asked him for suggestions regarding where to fly fish. He turned me on to what is now my favorite location........It can't be the same guy, can it? Anyway, I haven't seen him since but I'm going to stop him and thank him if I see him again.

I sure hope it isn't that same guy. Can't be, can it? I know better than most that everyone has a bad attitude day on occasion but that sounds way out of line. You didn't call him "Barney" did you? Next time ask if he only has one bullet for his sidearm and whether he carries it in his shirt pocket.................Naw, that'll just piss him off and that's when I'll run into him.