(Not that I care) "Hey, where did everyone go?"

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by fredaevans, Apr 1, 2007.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Fred,

Back when we would fish Modoc ponds for cats the methods we used would likely land you in jail now. Remember this would have been in the late sixties. We would go to the ponds late in the evening. When it was good and dark out, no moon, we would take an old car tire and place it close to the water's edge. Light the tire on fire and wait for the light from the burning tire to attract the cats up close. Then we would toss night crawlers to the congragating fish. The tire would burn for several hours and we would catch a hundred or more cats in an evening sometimes. The next day was spent cleaning fish, then a big fish fry with all the fish and beer you could handle.

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

First good laugh of the day! I'm sure 'burning tyres' would now get a lot of peoples 'attention.' The 'wrong kind' of attention. (How do you look in profile while holding up a card with numbers?)

Well the ponds are still there, wonder about the cat fish?

3. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    That's the same thing I was thinking Salmo.

As to why Fred would postpone fishing to please the "Red Head", for those of you that haven't been around here long, the "Red Head" or "Joanmeister" as she is fondly called has watched the good Mr. Evans enrich the coffers of several rod makers and fly shops, including my own. She has also opened her home on several occasions to a sizable group of spey casters and entertained them in pretty fine style. I think it was pretty cool that FAE would stop what he was doing to please the "Red Head". The river is close, he can almost always go.:beer2:

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I don't question for a second Fred's obligation to satisfy the redhead. It's in his interest, in more ways than one, to do so. Just thinking that he could have done that and kept fishing. What's the point in all this technology if it doesn't result in more or improved fishing?

5. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Thank you Mike; I'll pass this very fine compliment on to Joan.
    Fred

6. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Fred, You guys going to make the Sandy this year?

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Plan "A" there Mike; reservations at the RV park a done deal (only staying there as we'll have 'Sandy' with us and 'no pets allowed.' (Understand the 'why,' but still a bummer.)

Fred